The grumpy thread

outlaw118

58 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

I’ve lived in Milton Keynes for 40 years and for the last 30 wouldn’t even think of going to the City Centre on a Saturday , in fact I avoid it most of the time. Just the thought of going up there on a Saturday just before Christmas a couple of days after it’s been shutdown for a month, makes me shudder. I have certainly not even been near to the place since February. 

The biggest surprise is that your surprised, there’s plenty of Pharmacies around, including one about 300 yards from your house , going to the Centre seems completely masochistic to me.

We've had no end of problems with our local pharmacy which is why we moved to the main one in the centre.  Especially when lockdown first happened, and the queue from our local one made it down to the Halfords car park.

We've now switched to the Neath Hill one, will see how that goes.

I guess I still expect unconsciously the same sort of level of traffic and behaviour from people as I was used to in the shopping centres in Aberdeen...but being 400 miles closer to London means reality is somewhat different.

My brain also often utterly and completely fails to register the fact that just because I know that <insert thought here> is sensible and is what you should be doing doesn't mean that anyone else will come to the same conclusion - or in fact care.  Welcome to living with ASD 101.

On 12/4/2020 at 11:52 PM, Mrcento said:

The Vec is dead. Accident last night. Low speed, but bad angle right onto the wheel. Definite write off.

FFS.

Gutted for you. Lord Sterling's estate has gone and ours might not go back on the road - could be a hat trick of dead vectra estates.

18 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Had to go into the Centre today to pick up a prescription.

Oh...my...F-ing...god.

Two metre rule?  You'd be lucky to have two inches of space.  Seriously, think first thing when the shops open for the Black Friday sales you see on the news, just with the odd mask thrown in.  I'd have felt crowded on a normal day.

Mask usage: ~50% max.

Common sense: zero.

Efforts being undertaken by staff to control the situation: zero

I actually bailed before I made it as far as the pharmacy.  So I'm now out of antidepressants (don't get me started on our GP who have made it so you can't get automatic repeats, and can't request a repeat until too late to get stuff before you run out). 

Have gone through the web portal to move my nominated pharmacy to another one well away from the town centre.

No bloody wonder Milton Keynes has been showing horendous infection rates.  The average behaviour I've seen around here since this started has been appalling.  The madness in there though today was downright disgraceful. 

I was in there for all of five minutes and was bodily shoved out of the way by at least two people.

All year I’ve been having weird nightmares about being bumped into whilst in the supermarket!

5 hours ago, jakebullet said:

Bob the fucking builder next door has his 'special' friends round:

IMG_20201206_102615.thumb.jpg.f43b0a86cd39e85b72a331a4b1711dc2.jpg

Ignoring we're tier 3 and you're not supposed to be in other people's houses, what a twunt for 'I'm special and I'll park outside the gate on the pavement totally blocking it. Granny can scramble 4 foot down the grass banking to get on the road. Serves her right for walking". 

Needs a local druggie to squeeze past n key it.

Is that AstroTurf?

6 hours ago, jakebullet said:

Bob the fucking builder next door has his 'special' friends round:

IMG_20201206_102615.thumb.jpg.f43b0a86cd39e85b72a331a4b1711dc2.jpg

Ignoring we're tier 3 and you're not supposed to be in other people's houses

On a similar vein, our adjoining neighbours have had the woman’s parents staying overnight off and on every week throughout the whole nine-months-and-counting COVID period, what makes it worse is that her parents both work directly for the NHS. The parents don’t live there permanently either, their own  house is 40 miles away. Four vehicles (car, works van, parents two cars)  adding to the already over-subscribed parking spaces.

13 minutes ago, colc said:

Ref visiting chemists/pharmacies....I have no idea why anyone would want to pick up prescription stuff, when there’s so many “ by post” alternatives 

I tried to set this up for my parents earlier in the year. They’re not available in wales.

37 minutes ago, colc said:

Ref visiting chemists/pharmacies....I have no idea why anyone would want to pick up prescription stuff, when there’s so many “ by post” alternatives 

Our pharmacy doesn't allow any outside agencies to order stuff.  You have to order stuff through their own (hopeless) web portal for transmission to the pharmacy for collection.

Given how regularly they foul things up I wouldn't want to be reliant on it turning up on the door.  At least when I get there and they've messed it up or lost it I can get the pharmacist to phone the surgery to straighten things out.

1 hour ago, Wack said:

Will BBC HD ever be able to show local news in HD, it's been years now

20201206_182113.thumb.jpg.56a7cd567010e3bd2a40867f4a2667b0.jpg

I saw a news piece today 'dump HD and Save the [insert preferred victim]!'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/technology-55164410

Back to Baird = disc full of holes + Archie Andrews' head... 😕

5 hours ago, Wack said:

Will BBC HD ever be able to show local news in HD, it's been years now

20201206_182113.thumb.jpg.56a7cd567010e3bd2a40867f4a2667b0.jpg

Genuine question, why does it matter? You get the same news in HD. More generally, why is HD a thing for most programmes? Films I understand, but news? The Simpsons? Sport? Soap operas? Why does this stuff need to be viewed in HD? 

My grump for today was that while my Freeloader doesn't seem to actually leak, the two glass 'targa' roof panels are utter bastards for collecting condensation which freezes overnight than dropping cold drips on my head as I'm driving along.

How the hell do people with these modern fully glassed roofed things cope with this kind of freezing-but-damp weather?

1 hour ago, robinmasters said:

Genuine question, why does it matter? You get the same news in HD. More generally, why is HD a thing for most programmes? Films I understand, but news? The Simpsons? Sport? Soap operas? Why does this stuff need to be viewed in HD? 

For my part it's mainly because two out of the three TVs I pass by regularly (I seldom actually watch it myself!) do an absolutely awful job of upscaling SD video to the native display resolution - so it looks like you're watching video through NetMeeting from a webcam from 20 years ago.

5 hours ago, robinmasters said:

You don't have to change channel on itv to watch the local news , I just wondered why the BBC is still in 2010 .

1 hour ago, Wack said:

You don't have to change channel on itv to watch the local news , I just wondered why the BBC is still in 2010 .

Local news? There is no local news around here, unless you're wanting to hear such things as "Dog gets head stuck in cat flap", "Mrs Jones still has her leg, she's been under the Doctor for weeks now", "Marcelle ripped her new jacket on the railings, again"

I'm sure when the world ends it will be weeks before we know about it where I live.

In a rush this morning, I went into my shed to grab some ratchet straps and knocked over my welding gas bottle and smashed the gauges off of the regulator 😤

the regulator still works but it looks like you can’t buy the gauges separately you have to buy a new regulator 😢

Modern fuel gauges , used the wife's car for work whilst my booze laden wreck was being fixed , 2 segments on the c1 fuel gauge showing ...

That will be ok ......... Not 

10 miles later . Peep Peep Peep Peep , panic , U turn , find petrol station ...

I suppose a taxi would of cost me more than a15 squid top up .... 

2 minutes ago, MikeR said:

Modern fuel gauges , used the wife's car for work whilst my booze laden wreck was being fixed , 2 segments on the c1 fuel gauge showing ...

That will be ok ......... Not 

10 miles later . Peep Peep Peep Peep , panic , U turn , find petrol station ...

I suppose a taxi would of cost me more than a15 squid top up .... 

Still better than the Aprilia scooter I had about 10 years ago... on my way home from work one evening when the engine started to cough and splutter. I honestly didn't think the fuel had really got that low, and - as I looked down to check - I saw the fuel warning light come on, at the precise moment the engine cut out completely 🤣 Thankfully it wasn't heavy to push.

2 hours ago, anonymous user said:

Local news? There is no local news around here, unless you're wanting to hear such things as "Dog gets head stuck in cat flap", "Mrs Jones still has her leg, she's been under the Doctor for weeks now", "Marcelle ripped her new jacket on the railings, again"

I'm sure when the world ends it will be weeks before we know about it where I live.

It's not just me then. Last night's Look North included a piece on a woman whose house is in Tier 3, but her garden is in Tier 2. Groundbreaking stuff, it was.

9 hours ago, Spiny Norman said:

My grump for today was that while my Freeloader doesn't seem to actually leak, the two glass 'targa' roof panels are utter bastards for collecting condensation which freezes overnight than dropping cold drips on my head as I'm driving along.

How the hell do people with these modern fully glassed roofed things cope with this kind of freezing-but-damp weather?

I expect the designers off such modern goldfish tanks expect owners to have a heated garage and that they use it for putting their car in at nighttime.... Crazy I know 😲😲

7 minutes ago, strangeangel said:

It's not just me then. Last night's Look North included a piece on a woman whose house is in Tier 3, but her garden is in Tier 2. Groundbreaking stuff, it was.

My grandmother liked to inform me that the people opposite didn't live in Solihul but actually lived in Olton. 

On 05/12/2020 at 21:37, Zelandeth said:

Oh...my...F-ing...god.

Two metre rule?  You'd be lucky to have two inches of space.  Seriously, think first thing when the shops open for the Black Friday sales you see on the news, just with the odd mask thrown in.  I'd have felt crowded on a normal day.

Mask usage: ~50% max.

Common sense: zero.

Efforts being undertaken by staff to control the situation: zero

I actually bailed before I made it as far as the pharmacy.  So I'm now out of antidepressants (don't get me started on our GP who have made it so you can't get automatic repeats, and can't request a repeat until too late to get stuff before you run out). 

Have gone through the web portal to move my nominated pharmacy to another one well away from the town centre.

No bloody wonder Milton Keynes has been showing horendous infection rates.  The average behaviour I've seen around here since this started has been appalling.  The madness in there though today was downright disgraceful. 

I was in there for all of five minutes and was bodily shoved out of the way by at least two people.

Heard on Classic FM that the Co-Op are delivering prescriptions now.  May have an in-store pharmacy near you.

Co-Op here closed a while back but the in-store pharmacy was excellent

4 hours ago, goosey said:

In a rush this morning, I went into my shed to grab some ratchet straps and knocked over my welding gas bottle and smashed the gauges off of the regulator 😤

the regulator still works but it looks like you can’t buy the gauges separately you have to buy a new regulator 😢

I did that on day 1 with a nice new R-Tech MIG and Hobbyweld cylinder. Thought I'd have a play with it, with my welding trolley due to arrive the next day. Didn't last 30 minutes before I knocked the freestanding bottle over, smashing the gauges to bits.

4 hours ago, strangeangel said:

Reminds me of the time I was in Guernsey and the local news reported that a hamster had been found in St Peter Port.  Amazing stuff.

On 12/5/2020 at 3:37 PM, Zelandeth said:

Oh...my...F-ing...god.

Two metre rule?  You'd be lucky to have two inches of space.  

Then they need to shut the shops and squarely blame it on the people not wearing masks or keeping their distance, and let the ensuing riots take care of the rest.

Here is mostly beardy thirty-somethings that have taken over the "I don't care" role in public spaces now. I had to go to the store and your think it was just a regular day in 2019

Phil