The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Car is due for the Spanish equivalent of a MOT (ITV). Went to start the car but it failed.

Garage came out this morning said the glow plugs are weak and either a relay or the fuel pump (in the tank) is no longer working.

The car has left the house on the back of a truck. Do not know when I will get it back in these Covid times. The truck coming out to collect the car is a service is included in all insurances here.

23 minutes ago, Remspoor said:

The truck coming out to collect the car is a service is included in all insurances here.

When my Fiats front suspension started making odd noises, the bloke at the car dealers said to ring my insurers to get it to him via the breakdown service. 

Should have done that when my motorbike suffered a dead battery.

In fairness to the coppers they can't all be bad. Especially the ones in a traffic car that I was too half asleep to notice and tried to race through town in a van that turned out to have no MOT. 

6 hours ago, barefoot said:
I'm writing this, because some of you might have a telly.
You may or may not regularly take TV choice magazine. 
As you may know, at xmas, the publishing schedule of said mag becomes a little frantic
And the regular on-sale dates ie. every Tuesday go out of the window. 
One minute it's issue 49 as normal, then issue 50 - on sale Sat 28 Nov, Issue 51 - on sale Thur 03
And the bumper xmas special - on sale Tues 08.
So there I was, all up to date and then this morning Thur 03,
Obviously I had ordered issue 51 as part of my Sainsbury's delivery
But the young lad brought me issue 50! 
And it goes without saying, that I already have a copy, annotated & tucked by the side of the set.

'Listen Mate', says I, 'this is no good'.
'This is next week's telly guide, I don't want that'
'I want the week after's!'
You'd think I'd asked for the moon on a stick, the lad's gob dropped open...

He shrugged and said, 
'Watch a lot of telly do you?'

Lol you sound like my mum, her year would literally be ruined if the radio Times stopped being printed (she only buys it at Xmas...) 

This is despite their humax freesat box having a wicked EPG that puts the sky shit to shame

Found out yesterday that my chod friendly MOT tester of the last 4 years was retiring and today was his last day. I saw him so often we have become friends :-) so this afternoon I drove the 30 miles over to thank him, shake his hand and wish him well for his retirement. Got to find another chod friendly tester now.....

1 hour ago, Saabnut said:

Found out yesterday that my chod friendly MOT tester of the last 4 years was retiring and today was his last day. I saw him so often we have become friends :-) so this afternoon I drove the 30 miles over to thank him, shake his hand and wish him well for his retirement. Got to find another chod friendly tester now.....

Could he not suggest someone who might be trustworthy?

11 hours ago, Saabnut said:

Sad to hear that. I still remember how kind he was to my Yaris when you and I happened to be at that garage at the same time.

I can thoroughly reccommend the council test centre in stonehaven. First of all its the only truly independant test centre in the area since it doesnt have a garage attached so theres no conflict of interest. Secondly and more importantly, it just has  the same 2 old guys all the time and they have been really helpfull to me over the years, from using exhaust paste to stop the exhaust leaking on a nissan to tuning the carburettor on my lada so both would pass the emissions test.

Had to go into the Centre today to pick up a prescription.

Oh...my...F-ing...god.

Two metre rule?  You'd be lucky to have two inches of space.  Seriously, think first thing when the shops open for the Black Friday sales you see on the news, just with the odd mask thrown in.  I'd have felt crowded on a normal day.

Mask usage: ~50% max.

Common sense: zero.

Efforts being undertaken by staff to control the situation: zero

I actually bailed before I made it as far as the pharmacy.  So I'm now out of antidepressants (don't get me started on our GP who have made it so you can't get automatic repeats, and can't request a repeat until too late to get stuff before you run out). 

Have gone through the web portal to move my nominated pharmacy to another one well away from the town centre.

No bloody wonder Milton Keynes has been showing horendous infection rates.  The average behaviour I've seen around here since this started has been appalling.  The madness in there though today was downright disgraceful. 

I was in there for all of five minutes and was bodily shoved out of the way by at least two people.

58 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Oh...my...F-ing...god.

Two metre rule?  You'd be lucky to have two inches of space.  Seriously, think first thing when the shops open for the Black Friday sales you see on the news, just with the odd mask thrown in.  I'd have felt crowded on a normal day.

I actually bailed before I made it as far as the pharmacy.  So I'm now out of antidepressants (don't get me started on our GP who have made it so you can't get automatic repeats, and can't request a repeat until too late to get stuff before you run out). 

Have gone through the web portal to move my nominated pharmacy to another one well away from the town centre.

No bloody wonder Milton Keynes has been showing horendous infection rates.  The average behaviour I've seen around here since this started has been appalling.  The madness in there though today was downright disgraceful. 

I was in there for all of five minutes and was bodily shoved out of the way by at least two people.

I use Pharmacy2U for my repeat prescription - seems to work, no extra costs involved. You nominate them as your pharmacy, then you go online onto the P2U website and order it as you need it - sends an automated request to the GP, which is automatically agreed. Normally same/next day dispatch.

Bob the fucking builder next door has his 'special' friends round:

IMG_20201206_102615.thumb.jpg.f43b0a86cd39e85b72a331a4b1711dc2.jpg

Ignoring we're tier 3 and you're not supposed to be in other people's houses, what a twunt for 'I'm special and I'll park outside the gate on the pavement totally blocking it. Granny can scramble 4 foot down the grass banking to get on the road. Serves her right for walking". 

Needs a local druggie to squeeze past n key it.

Ah...so it's going to be one of those days.

First thing I noted when getting up was the click of death coming from my PC.  Dead hard drive.  Thankfully only the one with Windows on so not the end of the world.

The toaster has decided to cease toasting, and I just went to hook up the battery charger to the van and was rewarded with a deafening bang and the ring main breaker tripping when I turned it on.

Okay... let's not touch anything else for the rest of the day!

37 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

First thing I noted when getting up was the click of death coming from my PC.  Dead hard drive.  Thankfully only the one with Windows on so not the end of the world.

The toaster has decided to cease toasting, and I just went to hook up the battery charger to the van and was rewarded with a deafening bang and the ring main breaker tripping when I turned it on.

Have you forgotten to attach you patented* Anti-static strap when you got up this morning @Zelandeth?

https://www.sunsky-online.com/view/860035/Plastic Fan Anti Static Strap Ground Earth Belt Band for Car Black .htm

megalol at the l33t photshop skillz with the BMW and SLS merc lower down the page. Seamless.

14 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Oh...my...F-ing...god.

I’ve lived in Milton Keynes for 40 years and for the last 30 wouldn’t even think of going to the City Centre on a Saturday , in fact I avoid it most of the time. Just the thought of going up there on a Saturday just before Christmas a couple of days after it’s been shutdown for a month, makes me shudder. I have certainly not even been near to the place since February. 

The biggest surprise is that your surprised, there’s plenty of Pharmacies around, including one about 300 yards from your house , going to the Centre seems completely masochistic to me.

2 hours ago, jakebullet said:

Ignoring we're tier 3 and you're not supposed to be in other people's houses, what a twunt for 'I'm special and I'll park outside the gate on the pavement totally blocking it. Granny can scramble 4 foot down the grass banking to get on the road. Serves her right for walking". 

That looks like such a busy road to park in as well, round here they jump on you quick for obstruction of a drop kerb let alone blocking the complete path. 

Can the polizei book him or is it an outsourced company nowadays? 

27 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

That looks like such a busy road to park in as well, round here they jump on you quick for obstruction of a drop kerb let alone blocking the complete path. 

Can the polizei book him or is it an outsourced company nowadays? 

The 5 O say it's up to the council. So unless he does it in working hours in the week he can do what he likes :(

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

on the plus side its a good excuse to finally to throw an SSD at it? :) 

will be interesting to see whats blown up in the charger... (is it some modern SMPS one or and old school linear power supply one?)

58 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

I’ve lived in Milton Keynes for 40 years and for the last 30 wouldn’t even think of going to the City Centre on a Saturday , in fact I avoid it most of the time. Just the thought of going up there on a Saturday just before Christmas a couple of days after it’s been shutdown for a month, makes me shudder. I have certainly not even been near to the place since February. 

The biggest surprise is that your surprised, there’s plenty of Pharmacies around, including one about 300 yards from your house , going to the Centre seems completely masochistic to me.

We've had no end of problems with our local pharmacy which is why we moved to the main one in the centre.  Especially when lockdown first happened, and the queue from our local one made it down to the Halfords car park.

We've now switched to the Neath Hill one, will see how that goes.

I guess I still expect unconsciously the same sort of level of traffic and behaviour from people as I was used to in the shopping centres in Aberdeen...but being 400 miles closer to London means reality is somewhat different.

My brain also often utterly and completely fails to register the fact that just because I know that <insert thought here> is sensible and is what you should be doing doesn't mean that anyone else will come to the same conclusion - or in fact care.  Welcome to living with ASD 101.

On 12/4/2020 at 11:52 PM, Mrcento said:

The Vec is dead. Accident last night. Low speed, but bad angle right onto the wheel. Definite write off.

FFS.

Gutted for you. Lord Sterling's estate has gone and ours might not go back on the road - could be a hat trick of dead vectra estates.

18 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Oh...my...F-ing...god.

All year I’ve been having weird nightmares about being bumped into whilst in the supermarket!

5 hours ago, jakebullet said:

Is that AstroTurf?

6 hours ago, jakebullet said:

Ignoring we're tier 3 and you're not supposed to be in other people's houses

On a similar vein, our adjoining neighbours have had the woman’s parents staying overnight off and on every week throughout the whole nine-months-and-counting COVID period, what makes it worse is that her parents both work directly for the NHS. The parents don’t live there permanently either, their own  house is 40 miles away. Four vehicles (car, works van, parents two cars)  adding to the already over-subscribed parking spaces.

13 minutes ago, colc said:

Ref visiting chemists/pharmacies....I have no idea why anyone would want to pick up prescription stuff, when there’s so many “ by post” alternatives 

I tried to set this up for my parents earlier in the year. They’re not available in wales.