The grumpy thread

outlaw118

10 hours ago, Rovorsche said:

The deal breaker being "Do you have the radio code handy....?"

Its not got the original radio in which means no code but the one thats in would require setting up, which I've got down to about 25 seconds now... And the car clock isn't correct anyway so that's no issue

12 hours ago, beko1987 said:

I'm sure my cars taking a few extra cranks to start atm... Very tempted to sling the battery on charge over the weekend, because I can't see myself doing more than about 50 miles for the rest of the year... 

Can I leave the car connected to the battery or is it safer to disconnect the car and only connect the charger? 

I don't think it's a shit battery, indeed I could probably find the fitted date if I could be arsed to trawl the paperwork so it'd be a shame to kill it by only driving 3.3 miles every few days with the heaters wipers and radio on... A good charge may just keep it fit whilst it sits... 

Writing this post reminds me I don't think I've ever charged a battery before... Jump start yes, change dead ones yes. charge... No. I'm 33 ffs

Since losing my job because of the kungflu I’m forever letting the battery go flat these days on my cars even though I keep telling myself I should go outside and leave them running for about 20 minutes  or so to get up to temperature.

I just put my trusty old Halfords charger on the terminals without removing them off the battery for about a few hours and I think it says on the side of my charger that it’s only made for cars up to 1800cc although the old BMWs are bigger than that.

Ive never had a problem charging them that way and I also do the same on my old Mini which is Canbus so I would of thought if any cars would develop any problems that one would.

On 11/25/2020 at 10:26 PM, iainrcz said:

Me again.

At the start of this year we had meetings about "new pay grading". Basically under the guise of "streamlining the pay structure" they're trying to fuck us over.

It means a lower base rate, and then add ons that bump it up. So a shift bonus and a grade bonus. So if we miss any hours of our shifts for example if we go home ill we'll be on about £3 an hour less than we currently are because we'll lose the bonuses. Basically it's a knee jerk reaction to some taking the piss and either not turning up or going home all the time.

So now those of us who have shown commitment to the place (I've done nearly 15 years) are being screwed over. Hi I'm Iain, I'm 40 and work weekend nights for £9/hr. Makes me sound like real fucking winner doesn't it.

Now fast forward a few months and the mad woman in charge of HR leaves. We all assume all the silly plans would now go in the bin.

No.

I got an email saying it will start in January 2021.

Thing is, based on their projections of my current standing within the hierarchy (I'm basically on a made up pay grade currently, as I'm the highest trained operator and assistant team leader on my shift. So a prime target for the streamlining) I will be down circa £1k a year.

And that is based on not missing a single shift to collect all the shift bonuses.

Obviously, I'm not going to accept this.

Employers are realising now they can skank their employees over as they’ve no chance finding a job elsewhere at the moment. 

On 11/25/2020 at 12:18 PM, iainrcz said:

Currently I've got a splitting headache because silly bollocks decided she'd clean the oven.

Following the instructions she got the oven "warm"

In actual fact she'd put the fucker on at 250 for 20 minutes and as soon as she applied the cleaner it boiled straight off releasing its odour.

I've just been and reapplied it for her. Pointing out that now the oven is warm and not red hot it's now actually a foam, rather than just a foul stenching, hissing mist.

She does the same with food "do not boil" becomes "boil its fucking head off so it cooks quicker, sod the taste"

My Mrs must be a relation

The ceramic hob goes up to 14. It's rare it's on anything less than 14 except bizarrely if she's cooking a steak, when you'd actually want it on 14 she sort of boils it until it's like the sole of a shoe then complains it' s tough 

We've got a convection / microwave , I came in once , she'd put a chicken in it in a stainless dish but had selected microwave then left the kitchen

Luckily I heard it creating a replica of a lightning storm before it exploded.

Popped to the car to get a few quid out to lend to a mate for some beers as his missus has gone out and he doesn't get paid until Monday and... Someone's been in my car and taken the few quid I had in the ashtray... 

Nothing else taken, I guess it's why I keep it unlocked as I didn't loose a window for it but keep your ashtrays closed folks! (unless their full of fags). 

Its locked now, I'll go check on it again later. Nothing else taken, so I'm trying not to be too grumpy

This is one needy corsa it's been 5 months since clutch was changed and new driveshafts, anti roll bar links oh and the weeping radiator were replaced.
I did new brakes all round when we got it 2 years ago including wheel cylinders and drums so hopefully just some adjustments and cleaning needed.
Bloody floor on drivers side is wet as well
but apparently tadts!!
cd8321579c6ea458fe7408a06c5ba5c2.jpg87e692178236cbbe351c28f0bc51d485.jpg

Wet drivers side floor is 100% a leaking master cylinder to bulkhead seal. Well documented on the forums, the ex's old one had the same issue, which worked in my favour as the carpets were fucking spotless after countless drying with a wet vac, the last one being 20 minutes before we departed to part ex it against the meriva... 

5 hours ago, beko1987 said:

Popped to the car to get a few quid out to lend to a mate for some beers as his missus has gone out and he doesn't get paid until Monday and... Someone's been in my car and taken the few quid I had in the ashtray... 

Nothing else taken, I guess it's why I keep it unlocked as I didn't loose a window for it but keep your ashtrays closed folks! (unless their full of fags). 

Its locked now, I'll go check on it again later. Nothing else taken, so I'm trying not to be too grumpy

when the kids were little , they had mobile phone toys ... and hand bags etc

not the thing to leave lying on the back seat ,   I would always be thinking about having a window popped for a couple of quids worth of plastic .

heads got chewed a few times over it ...

Dropped my van off with a mechanic I know last week - Dropped it outside his house and gave the key to his wife.

Not heard anything about it for about a week, I rang him up today "Oh yeah, sorry, my mrs left the key on the side and my daughter had picked it up and put it in her dolls house so we couldn't find it, I'm going to have a look at it today"

I'm usually quite forgiving of ridiculous excuses, but there is about a -9000% chance of that actually happening. Just tell me the truth, that it looks a bit of a ballache and you chose to do the "non-ballache" work instead!

Easy enough to bodge up with sealer and a short bristled brush from the outside!
I just looked up the correct repair for this which involves removing wipers,scuttle, battery etc and then brake master cylinder and servo to replace a paper bloody gasket.
So a bodge with tiger seal will be definitely be done, after I fix the rear brakes.
Then I looked on ECP as their listings are easily found and they list four bloody parts to the brake cable!!! So that needs further investigation.

2 hours ago, louiepj said:

I just looked up the correct repair for this which involves removing wipers,scuttle, battery etc and then brake master cylinder and servo to replace a paper bloody gasket.
So a bodge with tiger seal will be definitely be done, after I fix the rear brakes.
Then I looked on ECP as their listings are easily found and they list four bloody parts to the brake cable!!! So that needs further investigation.

What's up with the brakes? If it's the rears sticking are your handbrake cables cracked and perished? 

The old meriva used to do that and we've had a few mornings this week where I'd be out with the kettle, then tell Amy to dump the clutch and crack, off they went and away to work she could go! 

Cans of plus gas on a warm day made it fixed. 

What's up with the brakes? If it's the rears sticking are your handbrake cables cracked and perished? 
The old meriva used to do that and we've had a few mornings this week where I'd be out with the kettle, then tell Amy to dump the clutch and crack, off they went and away to work she could go! 
Cans of plus gas on a warm day made it fixed. 
4 cables nope I was wrong its 5 bloody cables on the car but only four need replacing and you were right about the cable cracking and perishing. They go through quadrants on the rear beam and hide this damage:
0167972e33a6c3a785fa9020f0b06c8a.jpg

Innocently and completely fucked up car insurance for me for life.

Hit a deer with my Golf. Going through insurance as fair bit of damage.

Decided to buy a second car a couple of days later.

Went on GoCompare, found a decent quote and took it. I entered a claim from a couple of years back, went to enter this very recent one and it wouldn’t let me proceed without a monetary amount. The Golf hadn’t been collected at this point, let alone examined and quoted for the work. So I left it off as I assumed as it had t been paid out, it wasn’t completed. That’s wrong I now know.

New car insurance company run the CUE check, see I’ve had this recent claim and subsequently cancelled my policy, giving a weeks notice.

That’s me royally fucked for life. I’m going through the complaints procedure as it was an innocent oversight. But I doubt I will get it overturned. I’ve never not paid anything I should be paying or even considered fraud.

If I was pissed and ran somebody over, that would eventually drop off my record. But not this.

Im stupid and that life-long red mark is cuntish at best.

15 hours ago, face said:

Innocently and completely fucked up car insurance for me for life.

Im stupid and that life-long red mark is cuntish at best.

That's unfortunate but i would hope you could get that reviewed and overturned.  Have you spoken to them?  It may have been cancelled without any oversight at all.   I would write them an actual letter, explaining the circumstances and asking politely for it to be reviewed.  You wont get far with call centres but on the face of it they should be able to fix your fairly minor mistake.  

3 minutes ago, cort1977 said:

That's unfortunate but i would hope you could get that reviewed and overturned.  Have you spoken to them?  It may have been cancelled without any oversight at all.   I would write them an actual letter, explaining the circumstances and asking politely for it to be reviewed.  You wont get far with call centres but on the face of it they should be able to fix your fairly minor mistake.  

Yeah they have a complaints procedure.

The call centre could do fuck all as it was the underwriter who cancelled it. Still they were nice enough.

Next step is a letter documenting what happened. If they fuck that off then I can refer it to the financial ombudsman.

7 hours ago, Nyphur said:

Ah man that is an absolute bastard. Hope you can get it overturned.

My grump - supposed to be moving house today, collect keys from letting agent at 9:15. Turn up "we're still waiting for the landlord to sign some documents before we can give you the keys - can you come back at 11:15". Ok...

Phone call 10 minutes ago "They still haven't signed the documents, can you come in this afternoon instead?"

Yeah sure, I've got all the time in the world love. Not like they've had 2 weeks to get this shit sorted.

I had similar shit with the first house I purchased. I was massively excited and had swapped shifts so I had the day off. I skipped down to the estate agents, the woman took the keys out her drawer and was about to hand them to me, when her colleague shouted over saying they were still waiting on one signature from the current owners, who were the previous owner’s kids.

It was like the bit in bullseye when they brought out the speedboat you could have won. She just tossed them back in the drawer and told me phone back in the afternoon. It ended up it wasn’t until the following day I got them, when of course I was working a late shift. 

No progress finding a reasonable automatic. 
Also got my sister in laws car to fix for mot which is proving to be a pain in the arse (well not the car as yet, just dealing with the various parties involved.) 
Northern monkey has got an Auto Astra that I think he will be moving on

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, rainagain said:

I had similar shit with the first house I purchased. I was massively excited and had swapped shifts so I had the day off. I skipped down to the estate agents, the woman took the keys out her drawer and was about to hand them to me, when her colleague shouted over saying they were still waiting on one signature from the current owners, who were the previous owner’s kids.

It was like the bit in bullseye when they brought out the speedboat you could have won. She just tossed them back in the drawer and told me phone back in the afternoon. It ended up it wasn’t until the following day I got them, when of course I was working a late shift. 

My parents had similar. Verbal and an email go, I had the day booked off, was 2 weeks into lockdown 1 too. 

We'd moved a big van load and emptied it, and we're halfway through the 2nd when the call came that it was off. 

So I spent the afternoon trespassing and hastily unloading the garage back onto the drive. I've never seen my stepdad cry since his mum died... 

We laugh* about it now since it sorted itself out 3 weeks later.