The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Mother in Law has temporarily moved in after wife's Dad died.Ā Ā 

We are both saints.Ā Ā 

One thing, she hasĀ absolutely no sense of food adventure.Ā  Over the years, she must have ended up cooking no more than 4 different things.Ā 

Lamb chops, shepherds pie, half a salmon fillet, and fish cakes or maybe a fish out of a box. Always with peas and boiled potatoes.Ā 

Won't eat anythibgbwith any spice, " just in case" because she once had a bad reaction to a curry. So this includes sausages,Ā 

Also says she doesn't like chicken. On further questioning, she thinks it too dry.Ā  Not surprised by that. Everything I've ever seen her cook has been well over cooked. She doesn't bother to do gravy and doesn't do water or any drink at the table.Ā Ā 

I've told my wife to cook what we want, if she's hungry, she'll eat it, and like any 6 year old, she might axtually like it.Ā 

That's the first grump. The second is more a question.

How often can a woman go to the toilet?

During the day,Ā  she seems to go every 20 mins. Just nipping to the loo. If she has to go upstairs she'll go. Last night she went before Strictly, then 3 times during it, then when was finished, then 20 mins later.Ā  She went before bed, then again, when I'd finished in the bathroom, then 30 mins later. Then 20 mins, then 20.mins, then 15 mins, I stopped noticingĀ  after that, but i woke up 30 mins ago, and she's been twice. I replaced the toilet roll at 8pm yesterday and there's hardly any left now.Ā 

And yet she never gets herself a drink.Ā  She only drinks hot water. (I've no idea why).Ā  She had yesterday in her own house, as part of the gradually going back plan.Ā  I went to pick her up and on the quite, went to check shed turned the cooker off.Ā  I also checked the kettle.Ā  It was cold. And full. Like when I dropped her off.Ā  When we got back my wife asked her if she wanted a drink. "No dear, only just had one"Ā 

Fucking weird.Ā 

6 hours ago, Mrcento said:

You think that's bad?

Try doing anything to your car outside in a street full of blocks of tenements.

You get the usual comments from passers by, plus the usual cunts trying to be 'funny', plus you can't even clean the thing or change a wiper blade without folk getting a cup of tea, pulling up a chair and watching you from the windows from start to finish.

Thanks to the lockdown restrictions, I can genuinely say i've performed in front of a bigger crowd than most football clubs in the UK this season.

I often store chod on my inlaws drive (currently banned, but that's another story) If I ever pick up/drop off or work on a car you can guarantee that an otherwise deserted cul-de-sac with suddenly become alive with people gardening, cleaning windows or as you said, simply pulling up a chair in the front window and staring. One guy opposite even got his binoculars out despite being maybe only 50 ft away. Often a notepad comes out and reg plates are taken down. "Dennis!, Dennis! he's working on that car again! Shall I ring the police/council/crimestoppers" E.T.CĀ 

I've taken to facing them and picking my nose with my middle finger. Nosy bastards.Ā 

Ā 

2 hours ago, New POD said:

Mother in Law has temporarily moved in after wife's Dad died.Ā Ā 

We are both saints.Ā Ā 

One thing, she hasĀ absolutely no sense of food adventure.Ā  Over the years, she must have ended up cooking no more than 4 different things.Ā 

Lamb chops, shepherds pie, half a salmon fillet, and fish cakes or maybe a fish out of a box. Always with peas and boiled potatoes.Ā 

Won't eat anythibgbwith any spice, " just in case" because she once had a bad reaction to a curry. So this includes sausages,Ā 

Also says she doesn't like chicken. On further questioning, she thinks it too dry.Ā  Not surprised by that. Everything I've ever seen her cook has been well over cooked. She doesn't bother to do gravy and doesn't do water or any drink at the table.Ā Ā 

I've told my wife to cook what we want, if she's hungry, she'll eat it, and like any 6 year old, she might axtually like it.Ā 

That's the first grump. The second is more a question.

How often can a woman go to the toilet?

During the day,Ā  she seems to go every 20 mins. Just nipping to the loo. If she has to go upstairs she'll go. Last night she went before Strictly, then 3 times during it, then when was finished, then 20 mins later.Ā  She went before bed, then again, when I'd finished in the bathroom, then 30 mins later. Then 20 mins, then 20.mins, then 15 mins, I stopped noticingĀ  after that, but i woke up 30 mins ago, and she's been twice. I replaced the toilet roll at 8pm yesterday and there's hardly any left now.Ā 

And yet she never gets herself a drink.Ā  She only drinks hot water. (I've no idea why).Ā  She had yesterday in her own house, as part of the gradually going back plan.Ā  I went to pick her up and on the quite, went to check shed turned the cooker off.Ā  I also checked the kettle.Ā  It was cold. And full. Like when I dropped her off.Ā  When we got back my wife asked her if she wanted a drink. "No dear, only just had one"Ā 

Fucking weird.Ā 

with working in the care system I have seen this toilet use , almost down to the minute , every minute !!!

if the toilet was not there they would hold it and wait and thus retrain the body to wait ....Ā  very hard to do with toilets every where ...

the lack of water input wont be helping as this will make the waste very irritating and make a need to go !!Ā  , so they drink less thinking it will help !

2 minutes ago, MikeR said:

with working in the care system I have seen this toilet use , almost down to the minute , every minute !!!

if the toilet was not there they would hold it and wait and thus retrain the body to wait ....Ā  very hard to do with toilets every where ...

the lack of water input wont be helping as this will make the waste very irritating and make a need to go !!Ā  , so they drink less thinking it will help !

Exactly what I was going to say šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

2 hours ago, New POD said:

.....How often can a woman go to the toilet?....Ā 

How often would you like it to be?

One woman I know has cultivated a certain notoriety for disappearing behind a hedge or a gate and marking territory when we're out riding! You can tell where she's been, as nothing seems to grow on the areas she's marked..... I reckon it might be the alcohol....

19 hours ago, Pieman said:

If I ever caught anyone training dogs for fighting, I would happily go down for murder.

ALL my neighbours think it's oh so funny to do this, to the extent I have stopped bothering to wash my car.Ā  I now give them the response "Buy me a crate of Guinness and I'll think about it".

If only this was true:

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/joking-that-neighbour-can-clean-your-car-next-to-incur-three-point-penalty-20161005114854
Ā 

2 hours ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Possible incontinence issue, possible urinary tract infections.... Has she always been like this...Ā 

She has previously given herself problems in that vain, but this is more mistaking anxiety with a full bladder.Ā  And and obsessing, that she needs to go.Ā  The idea of a day trip (involving an hour in the car, and an unsure availability of public conveniences, would fill her with horror.Ā Ā 

Ā My suggestion that post lockdown, we could visit our second home some 1.5 hours away would require us to stop at least twice on route.Ā 

2 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

How often would you like it to be?

One woman I know has cultivated a certain notoriety for disappearing behind a hedge or a gate and marking territory when we're out riding! You can tell where she's been, as nothing seems to grow on the areas she's marked..... I reckon it might be the alcohol....

I'm thinking that I go about 5 times in 24 hours.Ā  So more than once in any 2 hours, and more than 20 times a day really is mental.Ā 

My daughter, reckons she doesn't go all day when at work.Ā  She leaves the house at 7:30 am and gets home at 7pm, because she doesn't have time and doesn't like public loos. I reckon that's Ā weird too. But not as weird. It's proof that you can train your bladder if you want to.Ā 

2 hours ago, MikeR said:

Ā 

The very point I made this morning to her when I tried to give her an extra cup of water with her breakfast.Ā  If you are going to the toilet more often, your wee will be more concentrated, so you need to drink more.Ā 

Yeah, she has cognitive issues.Ā 

Or rather she selects what she wants to understand and listen to. I.e. she's always done what she wants, and she'll pretend to listen to reason, but inside she's saying "not listening - because it's not what I've believed for 60 years"Ā 

Don't get me wrong, I really like her, and would rather her in my house than.my own mother, I just think she's obsessed with going.Ā Ā 

Ā 

That said, if I wasn't deaf before I will.be soon.Ā  She needs the telly turned up to 130 dbs before she can hear.Ā 

Ā 

finally got the picasso starting very well indeed, and engine wise it's been absolutely great since the new battery in august

however over the past few weeks i've noticed a very slight uneveness at idle after a cold start

today it was not slight, and it wasn't a proper cold start

dabbing the throttle sorts it

but why, after spending geez about Ā£3500 on that car in the past year and a half can it not be right

times like this i'm tempted to just go out and buy a modern with warrenty but i'm not gonna do that

i get absolutely sick of car ownership sometimes

got to go out in an hour or so, so no doubt it'll break down

just starting to trust it too but it did that french thing where it's reliable till you trust it then goes wrong

oh, and another thing

MOBILE WEBSITES!

what a huge steaming pile of shit they are, they're all shit just cut down versions of already terrible desktop sites, on a tiny screen with a stupid touch screen that doesn't register what you push

and then the phone gets super hot and decides it's battery tastes very nice so it wants it all at once.

and finally,

self service checkouts

why 99% of the time do they need human interaction

they're junk, some better than others but it's so easy to upset it by doing everything normally

6 hours ago, MikeR said:

Doesn't dehydration to this degree turn you doolally anyway? Anecdotally from SIL who is a nurse a lot ofĀ the time when OAPs areĀ admittedĀ to hospital with dementia symptoms it's actually dehydration.

10 minutes ago, somewhatfoolish said:

Doesn't dehydration to this degree turn you doolally anyway? Anecdotally from SIL who is a nurse a lot ofĀ the time when OAPs areĀ admittedĀ to hospital with dementia symptoms it's actually dehydration.

Since she's been with us she seems to be gradually getting more coherent.Ā  Better food.Ā  More drinks. More activity

Ā 

4 hours ago, Lankytim said:

I often store chod on my inlaws drive (currently banned, but that's another story) If I ever pick up/drop off or work on a car you can guarantee that an otherwise deserted cul-de-sac with suddenly become alive with people gardening, cleaning windows or as you said, simply pulling up a chair in the front window and staring. One guy opposite even got his binoculars out despite being maybe only 50 ft away. Often a notepad comes out and reg plates are taken down. "Dennis!, Dennis! he's working on that car again! Shall I ring the police/council/crimestoppers" E.T.CĀ 

I've taken to facing them and picking my nose with my middle finger. Nosy bastards.Ā 

Ā 

Do it in late afternoon/early evening and you become prime time entertainment for the whole street. It's easy to see who's watching as the lights go on. Easy to see people and their curtains move.

Those not at their windows will suddenly need to walk the dog, those without a dog will suddenly need something urgently fromĀ  their cars, do the recycling, put the rubbish out...anything to get a closer look.

Then there are the local arseholes.

'I hope you're no gonna get oil all over the place'....as you do something utterly mundane like inflate a tyre.

I make a point of trying to do everything i can elsewhere.

32 minutes ago, Mrcento said:

Do it in late afternoon/early evening and you become prime time entertainment for the whole street. It's easy to see who's watching as the lights go on. Easy to see people and their curtains move.

Those not at their windows will suddenly need to walk the dog, those without a dog will suddenly need something urgently fromĀ  their cars, do the recycling, put the rubbish out...anything to get a closer look.

Then there are the local arseholes.

'I hope you're no gonna get oil all over the place'....as you do something utterly mundane like inflate a tyre.

I make a point of trying to do everything i can elsewhere.

There's a guy opposite the inlaws who will immediately get a bucket and sponge out and start valeting his car the moment I appear and start tinkering. The road is quite narrow (but not that narrow) and if my car is parked on the road he will also decide to go out for a drive and make a right meal of reversing off their driveway, shaking his head as he drives away as if I've seriously inconvenienced him, only to return 5 mins later and make a meal out of parking his car back on his drive.Ā  There's no parking restrictions, I'm not parked illegally and there's plenty of room. He's just being an awkward sod.Ā 

1 hour ago, Lankytim said:

There's a guy opposite the inlaws who will immediately get a bucket and sponge out and start valeting his car the moment I appear and start tinkering. The road is quite narrow (but not that narrow) and if my car is parked on the road he will also decide to go out for a drive and make a right meal of reversing off their driveway, shaking his head as he drives away as if I've seriously inconvenienced him, only to return 5 mins later and make a meal out of parking his car back on his drive.Ā  There's no parking restrictions, I'm not parked illegally and there's plenty of room. He's just being an awkward sod.Ā 

Might be a sign of mental illness. What d'ye reckon it might take to tip him over the edge?

25 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Might be a sign of mental illness. What d'ye reckon it might take to tip him over the edge?

I swapped the engine on an LDV Pilot once and that nearly finished him.Ā 

Ā 

Incidentally, that Pilot was the reason I got banned from the drive. After fitting the engine I fired it up and it emptied nearly the whole sump over the inlaws driveway. The engine was from a pug 405 and I'd neglected to install a blanking plugĀ on the end of the head after the vac pump was moved.Ā  My self congratulation over the engine starting rapidly vanished, being replaced with sheer panic.Ā  "Dennis! he's done it again, look!"

Ā 

Toothache can get in the sea - had a wisdom tooth taken out on Thursday, sore Friday, sorer Saturday and Sunday.

Can't sleep, head throbs, paracetamol does nothing.

My dental nurse friend says likely to be infected so need to phone surgery as soon as open.

Currently counting down the hours till it opens.

4 hours ago, Parky said:

Not actually a grump but miracle of miracles my VISA arrived about eight hours before I was due to fly. Ā Unbelievable.

As a result I now live in New Zealand - I am here now having arrived about two hours ago. Ā Doing two weeks managed isolation in Christchurch, after which I am free to trawl TradeMe and buyĀ some dreadful shite.

Heres Cathedral Square, my view for the next fortnight. Ā Nice room, food and drink on tap, canā€™t complain at all!
Ā 

7050A42F-203C-4AE3-AF47-AFFC1E97E887.jpeg

That's been quite a rollercoaster, glad it worked out and hope to see loads of epic shite after the isolation.