The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Fair enough.  My instructor didn't charge for rental for their vehicle for the test though, their take was that the test was all part of the training service.  Granted, this was back in 2003, in a small town in northeast Scotland...so things generally worked a bit differently to down here.  I passed on the first attempt with two minor errors.  One for not slowing quite as much as the tester would have liked at one roundabout (which was mainly because I was usually too cautious so was trying to get a move on), and the other I honestly cannot for the life of me remember!  I *do* remember thinking I'd made a royal mess of it though from square one...managed to bump the windscreen wiper stalk while backing into a parking space about two minutes in and scared myself half to death, nerves were on overdrive from that second on!

I did have a chat about this with a friend a good few years later (who was a PCV driver trainer at the time) and his take was that if he was examining he would expect a higher standard from someone driving their own car.  If you're taking the test in a car you drive for an hour or two a week, have to reset your seat, mirrors and wheel position every time you get in, you're bound to make more small mistakes.  If you're in your own car that you have almost certainly driven for ten or more times longer, you should be a lot more comfortable and minor things like where controls are should be second nature.  Therefore your mind should be more clearly on the test.  You're also more likely to be more self conscious in a foreign car so it's easier to keep bad habits at bay.   Crossing my hands on the wheel was one I struggled with a lot in my first few lessons...it was something I'd never thought about despite having been behind the wheel of many things around the farm, and indeed my folks car courtesy of my father's rampant drink problem, from age about twelve.  It took me a long, long time to stop doing that in my own car, but didn't take long to cut it out in the instructors car.

Have to admit that I tend to lean on that side...if I was assessing someone in their own car I probably would - consciously or otherwise - put the bar higher than if they were driving something belonging to someone else.  That is probably totally unfair though as I've no idea whether they have ever actually driven it prior to the test!

I don't personally know anyone in my immediate circle of friends who has ever taken the test in their own car, so I don't know if that's maybe a less common thing in the area I grew up or 20 years ago.  Can only quote based on my own experience.

Hermes. My other half ordered a star wars mug.  Hermes driver thought it acceptable to throw it over the gates. Suffice to say it is fucked.

However, dishonest Hermes driver took a picture of the parcel by the gates before tossing it.

I swear people's behaviour is getting worse.

Said goodbye to this guy Sunday night

Got bitten on a leg by a rat he managed to catch and kill a couple of weeks ago 

Thought we had the resultant infection under control with medication but it all literally blew up and exploded on Saturday 

Got it all cleaned up and stuff but he had just been diagnosed as being diabetic as well,and he was showing signs of his PolyradiculoneurItis returning 

Around 8pm he decided enough was enough,went to sleep and was gone within a few minutes 

FB_IMG_1601998676483.jpg

FB_IMG_1601998681153.jpg

FB_IMG_1601998684560.jpg

3 hours ago, andy18s said:

Said goodbye to this guy Sunday night

Got bitten on a leg by a rat he managed to catch and kill a couple of weeks ago 

Thought we had the resultant infection under control with medication but it all literally blew up and exploded on Saturday 

Got it all cleaned up and stuff but he had just been diagnosed as being diabetic as well,and he was showing signs of his PolyradiculoneurItis returning 

Around 8pm he decided enough was enough,went to sleep and was gone within a few minutes 

FB_IMG_1601998676483.jpg

FB_IMG_1601998681153.jpg

FB_IMG_1601998684560.jpg

Gutted for you.

Three days ago I was using my debit card and the pin number had disappeared from my brain. SHIT !! I've been trying to remember it since and today I went to the bank to see about a replacement. Just as this was about to proceed I thought I would try it one more time. Bingo ! Got it. This is not the grump.

This is. When I got back to where I'd parked, on the street, I discovered this. FFS. No note of course. Luckily I have a spare one.

DSC00940.JPG

It's been a shit day today. 

It's my Grandma's funeral, which I couldn't attend due to Covid19 rules. 

Then I found out that due to a restructure at work, my current job role will not exist by next month. I'll have a new role, but I'll be back in the office, which I'm not happy about. 

Then came out to move the Fenlander off the main road being as the Corsa goes tonight. What reward do I get for being a considerate neighbour and not clogging the car park with my shite? 

IMG_20201008_170259.thumb.jpg.1c3e51ea030d3cdf3831ec2b1e075ff1.jpg

1 hour ago, TheDoctor said:

With a middle name like that, it's no wonder her grandson is into shite cars! 

Screenshot_20201008_211630.thumb.jpg.5394e2b18358d23ed133d2049a522eda.jpg

I always remember my Grandma and Grandad had 'his n hers' Rovers when I was younger, and R8 and a Metro. They then progressed on to a Skoda Octavia and a Citroen Saxo. 

Sorry for your loss, Doc.

I feel absolutely terrible! I mean it, I feel like utter shit. Head is spinning and pounding, balance sometimes comes and goes, sore throat, churning stomach et cetera ad nauseum. All this, of course, had to happen while I was filing down one of the legs for my bearing puller project at college.

Getting COVID tested to be on the safe side. The last thing I want is to be the reason why my floor has gone into full isolation.

5 minutes ago, cobblers said:

Every 206 needs a recon axle unfortunately, same with 106s. there's a place in lincolnshire that does 106 ones for about £200, 206 ones are similar I presume.

AB Axles in Somerset. A few mates have used them.

Yeah 250 for refurbished axle off ebay delivered 

Guy was a 'mechanic' and said it was fine apparently. 

I guess I am using these outside of their comfort zone, but still...

Why is the lever made of the same shite you would find on a Raleigh Activators handlebars? It’s telling that Toolstation have replaced that design, now - they must snap if you even put up too many plaster boards with them.

3A9359AB-1180-4F93-870E-65BF5A63DC1E.jpeg

B6E46665-DF0D-4EC6-8BD9-184AF43EC8D6.jpeg

Drove down to Sheffield and between J34 and 33 (Meadowhell to Catcliff), speed signs on and set to 60.

Shed loads of traffic ?. No

Breakdown and lane closed?. No.

Bad weather conditions?. No.

No, the reason given on the big illuminated boards was "Speed restriction for air quality".

FFS, is Greta  Cuntberg on Sheffield council now. Bet the bloke in the Tesla wasn't too happy at the reason.

2 hours ago, busmansholiday said:

Drove down to Sheffield and between J34 and 33 (Meadowhell to Catcliff), speed signs on and set to 60.

Shed loads of traffic ?. No

Breakdown and lane closed?. No.

Bad weather conditions?. No.

No, the reason given on the big illuminated boards was "Speed restriction for air quality".

FFS, is Greta  Cuntberg on Sheffield council now. Bet the bloke in the Tesla wasn't too happy at the reason.

Sorry to piss on your chips, but that's a permanent restriction as it forms part of a trial being run. Which lasts a year :(

https://fleetworld.co.uk/motorway-speed-limit-to-be-cut-to-60mph-in-four-trial-areas