The grumpy thread

outlaw118

and we've just had the lightbulb go in the front room while watching Vera.

this one went off like a mortar bomb!

it literally blew itself to bits, shards of glass and molten bits of filament everywhere!!

i've had to pick the pieces up and run around with the hoover.

so we've had  to find another one from under the stairs, turn the power off, pull remains of the bayonet cap outta the pendant light..... find that this replacement bulb is fucked cos the bayonet cap on the end is loose, then go and find another and so on.

i wonder how long this will  last before it blows, and will that one go off like an incendiary bomb?

place bets now.......

6 cars on the drive and 4 of the fuckers have problems. This has slowly snowballed since February when only 16.66% of the fleet had problems. Now after months of constant spending, parts ordering and knuckle scrapping on the bloody ungrateful bunch of cunts - only 2 of the twats work and one of them is getting through more oil than petrol. 3 is the magic number of cars I need working at any one time, not 2! I also have a feeling of impending doom on the 329k mile Zafira, which is the only one behaving itself. I really hate cars at the moment...............

14 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

If the weather is fine I might do something stupid and buy a motorhome - or failing that we're daytripping and heading home each night.

Never mind eh!

I have time off for the first time since Christmas the week after next.

We've told the holiday companies to fuck right off because of prices.

Partner has arranged days out for every day of the week for us and the kids. The saab will be getting some hammer. Some of them are not exactly local.

19 hours ago, Richard_FM said:

UX as well for Uxbridge.

Wrong, Uxbridge is UB. My GF lives in the shithole UB2 area.

But correct in saying it comes under the former Middlesex county.

Interestingly* most of UB2 is Southall but she is south of the M4 in Heston and has a Southall postcode/post town. Although, she says she has nothing to do with Southall and thinks Heston should come under the TW5 postcode area for Cranford, which is closer to her than Southall!

3 hours ago, paulplom said:

I have time off for the first time since Christmas the week after next.

We've told the holiday companies to fuck right off because of prices.

Partner has arranged days out for every day of the week for us and the kids. The saab will be getting some hammer. Some of them are not exactly local.

Week after next eh ? Borris cheque  application 17th....6 days later holiday !!!  Its not for holidays , its for buying cars...

18 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

The price of UK holidays.  

We always book last minute with someone like Haven.  Sister in Law works for Bourne Leisure so - on top of their last minute discounts - we get an extra 20% off.  We usually pay about £65-600 for 5 days away which is enough for someone like me who literally has no idea what to do when he's not working.

This year?  Double.  Literally £1200.  

Whilst I was swearing about it yesterday, in the middle of a biblical storm, the holidays we would have considered all sold.

Double the price for half the value (remember - no entertainment etc this year) means it's a no from me.

If the weather is fine I might do something stupid and buy a motorhome - or failing that we're daytripping and heading home each night.

Never mind eh!

£1,300 for four nights in a (wooden) lodge near Welshpool. No food included, can't book in until 5.00pm on the first day. No thanks.

9 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Stay home. Save lives.

What?

Actually, "mate", I'd like to stick some money back into the UK economy - rather than cowering away like a frightened little church mouse.  Having worked straight through since the start of the year (whilst colleagues have been Furloughed and managed to work up the most amazing tans on full pay) - I'd like to get away.  On the basis that my home is also where I work, I quite fancy some different surroundings.

Sorry I didn't seek your advice or consent first, but I'll probably just follow the law rather than your pithy remarks.

Fucketybye. xx

Just now, BorniteIdentity said:

What?

Actually, "mate", I'd like to stick some money back into the UK economy - rather than cowering away like a frightened little church mouse.  Having worked straight through since the start of the year (whilst colleagues have been Furloughed and managed to work up the most amazing tans on full pay) - I'd like to get away.  On the basis that my home is also where I work, I quite fancy some different surroundings.

Sorry I didn't seek your advice or consent first, but I'll probably just follow the law rather than your pithy remarks.

Fucketybye. xx

Raw nerve, and salt in the wound. 

Have a great holibobs, Where ever you end up. 

Just now, New POD said:

Raw nerve, and salt in the wound. 

Have a great holibobs, Where ever you end up. 

I'm sorry for any personal connection that anyone on here may have to the COVID situation.  Genuinely.  I've spent the last few months tirelessly helping organisations like Addenbrookes Charitable Trust and East Anglian Air Ambulance (who were transporting COVID patients around the East of England) - but, unless the law stipulates otherwise, HAVE VAN WILL TRAVEL.

I'd encourage everyone to be pragmatic, make their own decisions, and do what they feel best - free of preaching from strangers.

I can't actually believe I justified my actions!

I'm still hoping for a sneaky week in Sep with the wife somewhere hot, we had Lanzrote cancelled in early August and the only option looks to be Turkey as Greece is looking dodgy, I love Tunisia but that's on the naughty list for no real reason

You can get fucked if you think I'm paying over the odds for a UK break 

3 minutes ago, omegod said:

I'm still hoping for a sneaky week in Sep with the wife somewhere hot, we had Lanzrote cancelled in early August and the only option looks to be Turkey as Greece is looking dodgy, I love Tunisia but that's on the naughty list for no real reason

Stay home.  Save lives.  ?

17 minutes ago, omegod said:

Haha ,After the last 5 months on the frontline in the NHS you can FRO :) I need a week by a pool with unlimited wine on tap more than I ever have 

Big love to you and yours. Hope you get somewhere before it starts cooling off and the girls on the beach start wearing more. Otherwise the investment on mirrored sunglasses won’t see you a return. ? 

My grump is related to my 'grump' on Tuesday.  I went to see my Gran on Tuesday before she had her stroke (I must have said something...) in the local 'Cottage Hospital' in Exmouth.  My Mum had been sorting out the visits and booking us in and they were being very strict.  One visitor per day, only two visitors at the same time in the ward, etc.  My gran had mentioned in passing that she'd had another visitor just before me but I didn't think anything of it and put it down to her being confused.

Turns out that her friend had stopped by just before me.  They'd booked in, etc. but the rules my Mum had been told were different to the ones that the ward had decided to follow that day, evidently.  Although she'd seen her a few times before her stroke (she'd been in there a few days), she would have seen her on that day too if she'd though it would have been possible.  As it happens, I was the last visitor before the stroke.  And I think Mum is a bit upset about that.  Not that you can predict these sort of things but the rules were being applied... inconsistently.

Can't complain about the level of care at all.  Great staff.  Lovely people.  All the rest.  Just that...

Fuck all of you talking about holidays. Aberdeen is still in local lockdown thanks to some football players and some oil workers going out on the piss a fortnight ago. :(

(But seriously, best of luck and I hope you enjoy it)

That and I've had some sort of viral infection for two weeks now that still isn't shifting. I can barely walk to the other end of the house without needing a rest, and I live in a 3 bed terraced!

No it's not covid, I did a drive-through test when I still felt capable of driving. Negative result.

I just want to be able to drive, and be allowed to drive more than 5 miles, so I can go to the parents' farm and harass the horses and work on the Land Rover again...

Oh, and also go to Saabnut's place for some lovely Saab 9000 bits.

9 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Fuck all of you talking about holidays. Aberdeen is still in local lockdown thanks to some football players and some oil workers going out on the piss a fortnight ago. :(....

It seems that some British tourists are pretty good at ruining it for everyone else wherever they go: I read that they've managed to get some of the bigger venues in Magaluf shut down!

I spoke to my parents last weekend - they were due to be heading to France for two weeks this coming Monday to visit friends, see the grandsprog etc.  Dad said at the time that he'd cancelled the trip as he was seriously concerned about quarantine being imposed, and he'd managed to find a good deal on a B&B in North Devon for a week instead.  Looks like he made the right choice...

2 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

My grump is related to my 'grump' on Tuesday.  I went to see my Gran on Tuesday before she had her stroke (I must have said something...) in the local 'Cottage Hospital' in Exmouth.  My Mum had been sorting out the visits and booking us in and they were being very strict.  One visitor per day, only two visitors at the same time in the ward, etc.  My gran had mentioned in passing that she'd had another visitor just before me but I didn't think anything of it and put it down to her being confused.

Turns out that her friend had stopped by just before me.  They'd booked in, etc. but the rules my Mum had been told were different to the ones that the ward had decided to follow that day, evidently.  Although she'd seen her a few times before her stroke (she'd been in there a few days), she would have seen her on that day too if she'd though it would have been possible.  As it happens, I was the last visitor before the stroke.  And I think Mum is a bit upset about that.  Not that you can predict these sort of things but the rules were being applied... inconsistently.

Can't complain about the level of care at all.  Great staff.  Lovely people.  All the rest.  Just that...

Hope your Gran gets better. Stroke care has come on leaps in the last 15 years, much more positive outcomes. Fingers crossed. 

4 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

What?

Fucketybye. xx

I have been out and about 7 days a week operating my businesses throughout as well, being exempt from closure. Full pay? Turnover down to 25% of normal at one point.

I entirely understand your desire to get away. My point was, the more people who visit more different places, the greater the chance of them being infected by the virus and then spreading it around. Thus we will not be going away this year.

14 hours ago, MarvinsMom said:

and we've just had the lightbulb go in the front room while watching Vera.

this one went off like a mortar bomb!

it literally blew itself to bits, shards of glass and molten bits of filament everywhere!!

i've had to pick the pieces up and run around with the hoover.

so we've had  to find another one from under the stairs, turn the power off, pull remains of the bayonet cap outta the pendant light..... find that this replacement bulb is fucked cos the bayonet cap on the end is loose, then go and find another and so on.

i wonder how long this will  last before it blows, and will that one go off like an incendiary bomb?

place bets now.......

sounds like the lightbulb fitted was a of cheap low quality that had inadequate or no fusing

see when a lightbulb burns out, an electrical arc can form between lead in wires

and an arc has a negative resistance property, the more power that goes into it, the lower its electrical resistance drops and the more power it takes, and this will run away until something literally blows up

(its why discharge lamps need a ballast, to regulate the current)

so a good quality incandescent lamp will have some sort of fuse in the lamp cap that will safely  blow if the lamp arcs at EOL and prevent catastrophic failure 

I would check what type of fuses if any are incorporated in any spare bulbs of the same make and type if you want to avoid the same thing happening again

you can read about the different types of fusing here :) 

http://www.lamptech.co.uk/Documents/IN Fusing.htm

but if your still not sure, feel free to post pictures of your spare bulbs and id be happy to tell you what type of fusing they have etc :) 

On 8/11/2020 at 9:56 PM, xtriple said:

Probably been asked before but...

I can go to the Doctors, the chemists, any local shop, supermarkets, garages everywhere, but I can't go in the vets! It is really irritating me to be honest and I have just fallen out with the second vet this month over it.

Explain I must...

Phoebe is old now (13) and a cripple (like me) but unlike me, she was a rescue and very badly damaged in the brain department, to whit, she is terrified of people. Always has been right since the day I rescued her from nasty people when she was but 4 months old. Over the course of the last 13 years, she has had multiple serious injuries and illnesses which have required surgery and constant pills and care. Now that she is old and gets more and more decrepit by the day, I try to let her have an easy life, do what she wants and keep stress to an absolute minimum.

Sound fair?

The first vet I fell out with has been her caregiver for the last 7 years and to be honest, their care has been variable as has their pricing of things (used to vary by £20 per repeat prescription until I pointed it out to them) and when she needed them during 'lockdown' they were not willing to see her or help. I had to seek alternate, emergency treatment. About a month ago I rang them for a repeat of her usual prescription and they wanted to see her which irked me somewhat as they hadn't wanted to see her before when she needed them, but hey-ho,if we can just make sure she is seen outside so I can stay with her, after all, they know she's terrified.

But no.

Even though I knew they were doing that as the week before they had seen Chester (my other useless dog :) )to clip his nails (dewclaws) which had grown so long they had curled around into a full circle! They did them on the pavement outside the shop, not bother to me, all is good. But they wouldn't see Phoebe outside and no, she didn't need any treatment other than the 6 monthly wank to show them she's still alive though, what I'm buying expensive pills for a dead dog is a mystery to me.

I lost my temper with the vet, or rather, I came very close to it so rung off because she was totally unhelpful/uncaring.

Found another vet, explained all this to them, no problem, the vet will see her in the carpark. And so she did, pills prescribed all is right with the world. Until today when she needed more pills (she was only given a fortnights supply to see how she did on them) when it transpires that the vet we saw is on holiday for three weeks, didn't write up her last (only) visit and they have no record of her treatment at all. They then wanted me to pay for another assessment even though it was their fault, but, whatever. Asked for the usual outside treatment, not a problem...

Except it was. When the surly vet came out, she stood so far away (like 20 feet) and had a mask and a shield on I couldn't hear what she was saying, but we got over that, she wanted to see Phoebe walk. Phoebe walked about 10 feet and stopped at the side of the car, which is as far as she can walk now. This wasn't good enough and the vet lady got 'stroppy' with me as I wasn't doing what she wanted. She then insisted she was taking her into the surgery and was going to get a lead.

It was at that point I told her I really didn't like her or her attitude to Phoebe and we would be leaving. Which we did (quietly and calmly no less).

Now all you good people will doubtless tell me what an arse I am (not news) but I just want the best treatment for her without stressing her out to the point she carks on the spot... which is a worry for me now as she is so old and...

I’m not an animal person, but can’t abide to see people abuse them. Seems like you just want the best for the dogs.