The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Oldest daughter has had her A level results and its a complete shit-show.  I would personally like to slap around the twats that are responsible for this.  I wasn't expected miracles and three A*'s.  She was easily capable of ABC and they have given her CEU.   Predicted grades after mocks were BCD, but she always does shit in mocks and ramps it up for the big exams.  School has given us an appointment for tomorrow to go in for a 'chat'.  I won't take it out on them, as I know its not their fault. 

Luckily* she wasn't going on to higher education, so the grade are not the be all and end all.  She already has a job and wants to pursue that and climb the ladder the old fashion way.  I'm still pissed on her behalf though.

13 hours ago, PhilA said:

For regular roads, or in general?

For instance, this street has a 15mph limit on, but is classed residential, not highway.

Highways.  Dead straight, wide and barely any traffic (by European standards), but a 100km/h limit.  Only real danger is having local wildlife run out in front of you - but that's the same everywhere (I'll never forget the night I came round a bend on the A140 at 1am doing slightly* more than the speed limit to find a stag the size of a fucking horse stood in the middle of the road).

I have little issue with low speed limits on residential streets.

34 minutes ago, 72_square said:

Oldest daughter has had her A level results and its a complete shit-show.  I would personally like to slap around the twats that are responsible for this.  I wasn't expected miracles and three A*'s.  She was easily capable of ABC and they have given her CEU.   Predicted grades after mocks were BCD, but she always does shit in mocks and ramps it up for the big exams.  School has given us an appointment for tomorrow to go in for a 'chat'.  I won't take it out on them, as I know its not their fault. 

Luckily* she wasn't going on to higher education, so the grade are not the be all and end all.  She already has a job and wants to pursue that and climb the ladder the old fashion way.  I'm still pissed on her behalf though.

It does seem to be a complete clusterfuck.  Scotland have had to do a massive U-turn after similar happened there - I reckon it's going to be the same here as well.

Took Phoebe to a different vets today, totally different experience. Lovely lady vet, happy to sit with her/us and we were even allowed inside to pay! We could have waited inside but I am so programmed to sitting outside and waiting I just did it automatically. Happy to finally get a vet that gives a shit about the dog not just the profits!

1 minute ago, xtriple said:

Took Phoebe to a different vets today, totally different experience. Lovely lady vet, happy to sit with her/us and we were even allowed inside to pay! We could have waited inside but I am so programmed to sitting outside and waiting I just did it automatically. Happy to finally get a vet that gives a shit about the dog not just the profits!

Excellent news.

1 hour ago, Saabnut said:

Major grump today. The boat has run out of peanut M&Ms, it would not be so bad if they had any other sort of M&Ms.

Will have to make do with the funsize Mars/Snickers/Bounty/Milky Way but I am tempted to just off hire them!

Please don't - knowing my luck I'd end up dealing with the bloody loss of hire claim...

On 8/9/2020 at 8:24 PM, iainrcz said:

Arsehole kids.

Not a fucking sausage all day.

I sit down to watch TV, the little shits come running out to scream and shout like it's 12 in the afternoon.

Piss off.

Anyone noticed I don't like children?

Spawn of the devil

5 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Highways.  Dead straight, wide and barely any traffic (by European standards), but a 100km/h limit.

Fair, we have a few like that here.. most areas are fine but Golden Meadow is a 50 limit where the same road is 65, and they like to try nab you for anything over 50. Used to be highway 1 was the hotspot, 45 down to 30 and badly signposted with a cop hiding behind a building

On 8/10/2020 at 9:14 AM, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Imagine how Vauxhall Vectra Mk.1 owners must feel...

But the mirrors are the one distinguishing feature. Without them they would be so bland that they would be one of those non descript badge less cars in insurance adverts. 

2 hours ago, puddlethumper said:

Bloody BBC saying the train crash is in Aberdeenshire. No, it's near Stonehaven which is in Kincardineshire ya dingbats.

Actually, in this (rare) case the BBC are correct,  Kincardineshire stopped existing officially over 30 years ago, it is now Aberdeenshire. I know, the crash site is about 4 miles from chez Saabnut

14 minutes ago, Saabnut said:

Actually, in this (rare) case the BBC are correct,  Kincardineshire stopped existing officially over 30 years ago, it is now Aberdeenshire. I know, the crash site is about 4 miles from chez Saabnut

Bloody hell! didn't know that obviously. I was checking maps on t'net just in case and didn't find 

one with it missing. I was brought up there and went to school in Stonehaven. Oh well, apologies then.  

45 minutes ago, puddlethumper said:

Bloody hell! didn't know that obviously. I was checking maps on t'net just in case and didn't find 

one with it missing. I was brought up there and went to school in Stonehaven. Oh well, apologies then.  

If it's any consolation, my partner's Mum once recommended that we visit Danson Lido to cool off during a particularly hot summer's afternoon.  Only snag is that it closed in 1979...

1 hour ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

If it's any consolation, my partner's Mum once recommended that we visit Danson Lido to cool off during a particularly hot summer's afternoon.  Only snag is that it closed in 1979...

My Grandad was Director of Parks and Gardens for the London Borough of bexley, and had his office at danson park, and lived in a council owned house. New  Bourne Cottage. 

18 hours ago, xtriple said:

We have a great vet who is very uncomfortable talking to people but amazing with the dogs.

11 hours ago, cort1977 said:

Chingford where I'm from became part of london in 1963 but many, many people assure me that I'm wrong and it's still located in Essex.  I tell them it's still spiritually Essex.

A job I used to have to do in the early days of being an admin assistant was find all the postcodes within 'middlesex', even in 2008/9/10

Eventually someone added a column to our files called 'former unitary authority' and I could stop that horrible job. 

15 hours ago, cort1977 said:

Chingford where I'm from became part of london in 1963 but many, many people assure me that I'm wrong and it's still located in Essex.  I tell them it's still spiritually Essex

My late grandad moved there when he re-married.

**USELESS FACT** "E" London postcodes are alphabetically ordered, so Chingford is E4, but Walthamstow which is borders it is E17 (alriiight, alriiight everythin's gonna be alriiight etc)

Some wankers, recently East 17 - where are they now? | Entertainment | Heat

Glanced at weather report. 17C and cloudy... excellent, ideal weather to go take the dogs for a walk.  Little warmer than I'd ideally like but fine enough.

Idiot... should have read the whole screen.

Screenshot_20200814_132540.jpg.40c3586d966eb7f48212709bbac402ba.jpg

Ugh...six miles later and I've just had to change every item of clothing and take a shower.  The thing I hate even more than heat is humidity.

Again...moving down here was a dumb, dumb decision.

1 hour ago, outlaw118 said:

**USELESS FACT** "E" London postcodes are alphabetically ordered, so Chingford is E4, but Walthamstow which is borders it is E17 (alriiight, alriiight everythin's gonna be alriiight 

I never knew that.

Dubious claim to z list fame: My dad was brian from e17's headteacher.

The price of UK holidays.  

We always book last minute with someone like Haven.  Sister in Law works for Bourne Leisure so - on top of their last minute discounts - we get an extra 20% off.  We usually pay about £65-600 for 5 days away which is enough for someone like me who literally has no idea what to do when he's not working.

This year?  Double.  Literally £1200.  

Whilst I was swearing about it yesterday, in the middle of a biblical storm, the holidays we would have considered all sold.

Double the price for half the value (remember - no entertainment etc this year) means it's a no from me.

If the weather is fine I might do something stupid and buy a motorhome - or failing that we're daytripping and heading home each night.

Never mind eh!