The grumpy thread

outlaw118

6 hours ago, myglaren said:

A1 all clogged up and all the roads around it in the Birtley/Washington area too.

Was going to Ravensworth Castle, 11 minutes from mine.  Magical Mystery Tour trying to get to it, then passed it without seeing it.  Two hours wasted, and 1/4 tank of petrol.

Saw on the news that the A1 had been closed due to someone buggering about on a roundabout but that was at 2am.

Most unusual around here.  Rush hour can get a bit busy on the A1 but nothing like it was this afternoon.

Apparently he fell off the bridge at 12:10

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/man-taken-hospital-serious-injuries-18752152

Probably been asked before but...

I can go to the Doctors, the chemists, any local shop, supermarkets, garages everywhere, but I can't go in the vets! It is really irritating me to be honest and I have just fallen out with the second vet this month over it.

Explain I must...

Phoebe is old now (13) and a cripple (like me) but unlike me, she was a rescue and very badly damaged in the brain department, to whit, she is terrified of people. Always has been right since the day I rescued her from nasty people when she was but 4 months old. Over the course of the last 13 years, she has had multiple serious injuries and illnesses which have required surgery and constant pills and care. Now that she is old and gets more and more decrepit by the day, I try to let her have an easy life, do what she wants and keep stress to an absolute minimum.

Sound fair?

The first vet I fell out with has been her caregiver for the last 7 years and to be honest, their care has been variable as has their pricing of things (used to vary by £20 per repeat prescription until I pointed it out to them) and when she needed them during 'lockdown' they were not willing to see her or help. I had to seek alternate, emergency treatment. About a month ago I rang them for a repeat of her usual prescription and they wanted to see her which irked me somewhat as they hadn't wanted to see her before when she needed them, but hey-ho,if we can just make sure she is seen outside so I can stay with her, after all, they know she's terrified.

But no.

Even though I knew they were doing that as the week before they had seen Chester (my other useless dog :) )to clip his nails (dewclaws) which had grown so long they had curled around into a full circle! They did them on the pavement outside the shop, not bother to me, all is good. But they wouldn't see Phoebe outside and no, she didn't need any treatment other than the 6 monthly wank to show them she's still alive though, what I'm buying expensive pills for a dead dog is a mystery to me.

I lost my temper with the vet, or rather, I came very close to it so rung off because she was totally unhelpful/uncaring.

Found another vet, explained all this to them, no problem, the vet will see her in the carpark. And so she did, pills prescribed all is right with the world. Until today when she needed more pills (she was only given a fortnights supply to see how she did on them) when it transpires that the vet we saw is on holiday for three weeks, didn't write up her last (only) visit and they have no record of her treatment at all. They then wanted me to pay for another assessment even though it was their fault, but, whatever. Asked for the usual outside treatment, not a problem...

Except it was. When the surly vet came out, she stood so far away (like 20 feet) and had a mask and a shield on I couldn't hear what she was saying, but we got over that, she wanted to see Phoebe walk. Phoebe walked about 10 feet and stopped at the side of the car, which is as far as she can walk now. This wasn't good enough and the vet lady got 'stroppy' with me as I wasn't doing what she wanted. She then insisted she was taking her into the surgery and was going to get a lead.

It was at that point I told her I really didn't like her or her attitude to Phoebe and we would be leaving. Which we did (quietly and calmly no less).

Now all you good people will doubtless tell me what an arse I am (not news) but I just want the best treatment for her without stressing her out to the point she carks on the spot... which is a worry for me now as she is so old and...

On 8/11/2020 at 11:06 AM, mitsisigma01 said:

Wouldn't want to go back to the old booth method.... Its bad enough queuing in a shop behind a woman who queues and waits and loads..... Then spends 10 minutes trying to find her purse.... ???

Maybe ban women from toll roads ?

I don't understand that. Toll roads all over the content of Europe still no queues to pay*. You can even pay by card now. Maybe there are enough toll collection points? Not all are staffed these days.

12 hours ago, xtriple said:

I can go to the Doctors, the chemists, any local shop, supermarkets, garages everywhere, but I can't go in the vets! It is really irritating me to be honest and I have just fallen out with the second vet this month over it.

Explain I must...

Phoebe is old now (13) and a cripple (like me) but unlike me, she was a rescue and very badly damaged in the brain department, to whit, she is terrified of people. Always has been right since the day I rescued her from nasty people when she was but 4 months old. Over the course of the last 13 years, she has had multiple serious injuries and illnesses which have required surgery and constant pills and care. Now that she is old and gets more and more decrepit by the day, I try to let her have an easy life, do what she wants and keep stress to an absolute minimum.

Sound fair?

The first vet I fell out with has been her caregiver for the last 7 years and to be honest, their care has been variable as has their pricing of things (used to vary by £20 per repeat prescription until I pointed it out to them) and when she needed them during 'lockdown' they were not willing to see her or help. I had to seek alternate, emergency treatment. About a month ago I rang them for a repeat of her usual prescription and they wanted to see her which irked me somewhat as they hadn't wanted to see her before when she needed them, but hey-ho,if we can just make sure she is seen outside so I can stay with her, after all, they know she's terrified.

But no.

Even though I knew they were doing that as the week before they had seen Chester (my other useless dog :) )to clip his nails (dewclaws) which had grown so long they had curled around into a full circle! They did them on the pavement outside the shop, not bother to me, all is good. But they wouldn't see Phoebe outside and no, she didn't need any treatment other than the 6 monthly wank to show them she's still alive though, what I'm buying expensive pills for a dead dog is a mystery to me.

I lost my temper with the vet, or rather, I came very close to it so rung off because she was totally unhelpful/uncaring.

Found another vet, explained all this to them, no problem, the vet will see her in the carpark. And so she did, pills prescribed all is right with the world. Until today when she needed more pills (she was only given a fortnights supply to see how she did on them) when it transpires that the vet we saw is on holiday for three weeks, didn't write up her last (only) visit and they have no record of her treatment at all. They then wanted me to pay for another assessment even though it was their fault, but, whatever. Asked for the usual outside treatment, not a problem...

Except it was. When the surly vet came out, she stood so far away (like 20 feet) and had a mask and a shield on I couldn't hear what she was saying, but we got over that, she wanted to see Phoebe walk. Phoebe walked about 10 feet and stopped at the side of the car, which is as far as she can walk now. This wasn't good enough and the vet lady got 'stroppy' with me as I wasn't doing what she wanted. She then insisted she was taking her into the surgery and was going to get a lead.

It was at that point I told her I really didn't like her or her attitude to Phoebe and we would be leaving. Which we did (quietly and calmly no less).

Now all you good people will doubtless tell me what an arse I am (not news) but I just want the best treatment for her without stressing her out to the point she carks on the spot... which is a worry for me now as she is so old and...

Maybe a chat with the RSPCA would help? getting treatment is very important there is a limit to the amount of vets one can visit.

12 hours ago, xtriple said:

Explain I must...

Sound fair?

But no.

I just hope you manage to find a sympathetic vet. I have similar issues with Ted, who is very shy and scared of people he doesn't know and particularly fearful of vets (probably from when they nearly killed him with too much anesthesia). I suppose there is no chance of the meds being available on line?  

Driven to Devon to see family this holiday.  Went to see Grandmother in the local community hospital and they've found a 'mass' in the brain - as she was having stroke symptoms but no actual stroke.  Since I went to see her yesterday afternoon her face has fallen and she's been taken to the big hospital under emergency care.  She's now in the same ward that hosted my Grandad's last days.

Keep reminding myself that my grandparents have a habit of dying the day after I visit them in hospital.  Purely co-incidence but I seem to have some sort of talent...

Well fuck me my luck just ain't great this week, Monday brought a fine for not paying a bridge toll and today brings a lovely speeding ticket for 36 in a 30 on Sunday, both my fault and it's been 17 yrs since last SP30 and should hopefully just be an awareness course + £100 so I can't really complain but FFS 

The wife offered to cough for the speeding but we can't be doing that, plus she'd probably get the jitters and squeal to the course tutor on the day

Are they really trying to get that tight on it?

36 in a 30 here is a warning. I followed a state trooper the other day and he was blithely doing over 45 in the 35 outside my street here. I am glad the speed is displayed digital on the dash too because the speedo needle is over 5mph wide on the gauge...

2 hours ago, rainagain said:

this:

https://www.brickfanatics.com/some-lego-technic-42113-bell-boeing-v-22-osprey-helicopter-sets-will-be-sold/

Some people really need to find something better to do with their time

god if i came across one of these i'd be snapping the retailers arm off!

i suspect the cancellation has more to do with the completed kit blowing itself to bits when running rather than some social justice wanker nonsense, as the drive to both wingtip rotors runs though one itty-bitty little cog that just cannot cope with the torque its subjected to.

and discontinued lego is it seems worth some proper scary amounts of  cash within moments of them going out of stock!

2 hours ago, Floatylight said:

Finally had enough of tapatalk and deleted it, not happy with showing me advert for a number of very dubious dating/ hook up sites they've not taking to having topless women in their ads, so I'm done, deleted!

ads are based on cookies, so you must have searched for them at some point... just sayin ;)

6 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Australia and NZ are even worse from what I've seen.  Absurdly low limits don't help.

For regular roads, or in general?

For instance, this street has a 15mph limit on, but is classed residential, not highway.

17 hours ago, MarvinsMom said:

god if i came across one of these i'd be snapping the retailers arm off!

i suspect the cancellation has more to do with the completed kit blowing itself to bits when running rather than some social justice wanker nonsense, as the drive to both wingtip rotors runs though one itty-bitty little cog that just cannot cope with the torque its subjected to.

and discontinued lego is it seems worth some proper scary amounts of  cash within moments of them going out of stock!

Not unlike the real thing then, at least in its protracted development phase; absurdly expensive and prone to incendiary FTP due to twirly parts not twirling to specification.

Oldest daughter has had her A level results and its a complete shit-show.  I would personally like to slap around the twats that are responsible for this.  I wasn't expected miracles and three A*'s.  She was easily capable of ABC and they have given her CEU.   Predicted grades after mocks were BCD, but she always does shit in mocks and ramps it up for the big exams.  School has given us an appointment for tomorrow to go in for a 'chat'.  I won't take it out on them, as I know its not their fault. 

Luckily* she wasn't going on to higher education, so the grade are not the be all and end all.  She already has a job and wants to pursue that and climb the ladder the old fashion way.  I'm still pissed on her behalf though.

13 hours ago, PhilA said:

For regular roads, or in general?

For instance, this street has a 15mph limit on, but is classed residential, not highway.

Highways.  Dead straight, wide and barely any traffic (by European standards), but a 100km/h limit.  Only real danger is having local wildlife run out in front of you - but that's the same everywhere (I'll never forget the night I came round a bend on the A140 at 1am doing slightly* more than the speed limit to find a stag the size of a fucking horse stood in the middle of the road).

I have little issue with low speed limits on residential streets.

34 minutes ago, 72_square said:

Oldest daughter has had her A level results and its a complete shit-show.  I would personally like to slap around the twats that are responsible for this.  I wasn't expected miracles and three A*'s.  She was easily capable of ABC and they have given her CEU.   Predicted grades after mocks were BCD, but she always does shit in mocks and ramps it up for the big exams.  School has given us an appointment for tomorrow to go in for a 'chat'.  I won't take it out on them, as I know its not their fault. 

Luckily* she wasn't going on to higher education, so the grade are not the be all and end all.  She already has a job and wants to pursue that and climb the ladder the old fashion way.  I'm still pissed on her behalf though.

It does seem to be a complete clusterfuck.  Scotland have had to do a massive U-turn after similar happened there - I reckon it's going to be the same here as well.

Took Phoebe to a different vets today, totally different experience. Lovely lady vet, happy to sit with her/us and we were even allowed inside to pay! We could have waited inside but I am so programmed to sitting outside and waiting I just did it automatically. Happy to finally get a vet that gives a shit about the dog not just the profits!