The grumpy thread

outlaw118

On 7/3/2020 at 12:25 PM, Tadhg Tiogar said:

FIFTY fuppin' quid!!!

20200703_122338.jpg

Really? Didn’t @Six-cylinder have a spare from a visa? They’re the same header tank.

edit. I did carry a spare when I drove them, but it went with the last car when I sold it. Used to go for a couple of quid second hand!

11 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Sounds like the lorry driver who spent about five minutes leaning on the horn while tailgating so close I honestly thought he was going to start pushing, because I was doing 50 through the road works on the M1 a few days ago.  Do they know something about average speed cameras we don't?

I avoid the m1 if at all possible - when I did use it the driving standards were appalling. Nothing compared to my journey on the m4 last Sunday evening though which saw me ( in merc in lane one at 65mph) being passed by several Range Rover/ bmw/ Mercedes with chavvy numberpates at well into treble figures, coming up to the cars in front and swerving onto the hard shoulder to pass them. Followed a few minutes later by a 3series bmw again doing 100+. This was just before the 50mph average from theale. . 

1 hour ago, richardmorris said:

Really? Didn’t @Six-cylinder have a spare from a visa? They’re the same header tank.

edit. I did carry a spare when I drove them, but it went with the last car when I sold it. Used to go for a couple of quid second hand!

Garage Dubois-Loizou insisted on the replacement being brand-new. Not even CX-Basis had a brand new one. 

4 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Garage Dubois-Loizou insisted on the replacement being brand-new. Not even CX-Basis had a brand new one. 

Well they weren’t paying I suppose. Good luck- that car has had some huge amounts spent recently.

1 minute ago, richardmorris said:

Well they weren’t paying I suppose. Good luck- that car has had some huge amounts spent recently.

We are well into double what I paid originally and the voyage towards three times is well underway, so just sit back and enjoy the ride....

9 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Tyres at 4mm all round, time to start looking up replacements.  Whats dirt cheap but half decent? 

At 4mm I'd be running them for another couple of thousand miles and buying something not dirt cheap, they are only 50% worn.

4 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Really? I got it drilled when doing my license once they go under 4mm to begin to think about replacing them. Cheers.

Think and plan, but 4mm is  double the minimum isn’t it? Probably not half worn the original tread. Anyway, I’ve found tyres on the drive ok for price recently, but best was my local mytyres.co.uk 

37 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

155/70 R13 T think I'll get prices sorted, but keep running these till they drop under 2mm. 

Ones I found for mine were something like £48 a corner for some good brands. I think they were Uniroyal all season tyres but I may be wrong.

4 hours ago, richardmorris said:

I avoid the m1 if at all possible - when I did use it the driving standards were appalling. Nothing compared to my journey on the m4 last Sunday evening though which saw me ( in merc in lane one at 65mph) being passed by several Range Rover/ bmw/ Mercedes with chavvy numberpates at well into treble figures, coming up to the cars in front and swerving onto the hard shoulder to pass them. Followed a few minutes later by a 3series bmw again doing 100+. This was just before the 50mph average from theale. . 

I still can't figure out why the M4 needs to be 50mph all the way from Reading to London when they're only actually working on about 200 yards of it.

5 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

I still can't figure out why the M4 needs to be 50mph all the way from Reading to London when they're only actually working on about 200 yards of it.

So they can work at any point that they want too when they want too. Works can be complicated with the scheduling of different aspects at different times. The contract document will have described the area of work, method and working conditions. It is all legal beagle and far too long to go into here.

BTW when I was in the UK in January I drove that section I drive a rental car from Stanstead to North Devon.  When I drove the M4 road works I too found that doing the max speed of 50MPH. I was also being pushed along and even over taken by lorries going faster. Yes I was using the speedo of the car. But a  (newish car) rental should not have a change of tyres to make that much of a difference in speeds.

Would it not be possible though to carry out the smart motorway upgrade in sections, a couple of junctions at a time?  Maybe Hounslow to M25, M25 to Wokingham, Wokingham to Maidenhead, Maidenhead to Reading?  Would avoid the entire population of the home counties losing hours of their lives crawling along at 50 for 30-odd miles.

1 hour ago, Remspoor said:

So they can work at any point that they want too when they want too. Works can be complicated with the scheduling of different aspects at different times. The contract document will have described the area of work, method and working conditions. It is all legal beagle and far too long to go into here.

The whole system is designed to allow scrotes to wring the maximum amount of profit/overtime out of the public purse. 

As someone with a controls background it would be pretty simple to split the whole length into sections and then set up digital speed limit displays for each one. You could then limit the section that was being worked on and nothing else. The speed cameras are broken up into sections so you’re half way there already! 

It’s pretty pathetic that you are forced to drive at 50 for literally miles sometimes in roadworks like this, for the sake of one 100m section being worked on. 

Tuesday is Mrs Tet's birthday. Wednesday is our 20th wedding anniversary. Thursday is my birthday.

We were going to try to have some sort of celebration Covid permitting. I booked the three days off work. 

Towards the end of last week, Mrs Tet got a call from Barts Hospital. They want her back in to have another stent put in as the one she had done after her heart attack last year looks like it's narrowing again. When has she got to go in? Yup, Wednesday, our anniversary. We're both a bit gutted, but we realise this is much more important than celebrations etc. So, on Wednesday, she will be on her way to that there London in an ambulance at 5am, and I'll be at Tetley Towers worried bloody sick until she returns. Oh well, always next year.

Grump about long term testing and trousers.

Do you remember when magazines would publish reccomendations for products & then the results of a long term test? So that you could buy for example a VHS or a washing machine knowing that a particular example of it hadn't failed over the course of two years. 

Or how about a favourite pair of trousers? They'd wear out, you'd nip back to the shop where you bought them & buy another identical pair which would fit exactly the same as the first.

Those days are gone. They don't make a washing machine or a pair of trousers for much more than ten minutes now, before they replace it with a new, improved, lower cost, better featured version of something that purports to be the same item, but which clearly fucking isn't!