The grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

...although I'm sure that that will pale into insignificance once you get the final bill from Garage Dubois-Loizou.

I was told at the outset that there wouldn't be much change out of about two grand plus VAT....

....but fifty fuppin' quid for a pressure cap.... I'm going to go and lie down....

3 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I was told at the outset that there wouldn't be much change out of about two grand plus VAT....

....but fifty fuppin' quid for a pressure cap.... I'm going to go and lie down....

I presumed that it was Eolys.  That much for a pressure cap is extortion.

I found out on Wednesday  afternoon that the ABS works very well on the Rover, ask the silly cow in a black aldi a4  cabriolet who pulled straight out in front of me how I know.

Honestly, she saw me coming then took a look left then just went, good job I adopt the 'assume everyone else is incompetent' style of driving, silly cow gave a half arsed sorry gesture and obviously avoided eye contact and drove off. 

Maybe I should buy a car that's more obvious to spot when coming towards you.

Seriously?!?  Why bother coding in filters on your bloody website if the results displayed are going to utterly ignore them?

Trying to look up tyre options for the Jag and most of the results are swamped with van tyres, though you can sift a good chunk of those out usually by specifying the speed rating.  ...If the websites in question actually bother looking at the option.  I was a page and a half through the listings on Black Circles before I found a tyre which actually matched what I'd searched for.

It's not Google for crying out loud...the search and filter function only has one job to do...list relevant tyres... it's not hard.

35 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Seriously?!?  Why bother coding in filters on your bloody website if the results displayed are going to utterly ignore them?

You think that's bad, try searching on Amazon for 'desktop computers', use the 'new' filter and see how swamped you are by refurbished ones.

4 hours ago, EssDeeWon said:

I found out on Wednesday  afternoon that the ABS works very well on the Rover, ask the silly cow in a black aldi a4  cabriolet who pulled straight out in front of me how I know.

Honestly, she saw me coming then took a look left then just went, good job I adopt the 'assume everyone else is incompetent' style of driving, silly cow gave a half arsed sorry gesture and obviously avoided eye contact and drove off. 

Maybe I should buy a car that's more obvious to spot when coming towards you.

My last motorbike accident was a bit like that, see looked me straight in the eyes and just pulled out. When the coppers asked her why she replied ‘I don’t know why, I just did’. Fucking cheers for that one.

51 minutes ago, loserone said:

Eye contact does that, thought bikers were taught to avoid it?

The opposite, you make eye contact you get an acknowledgement. They have seen you, you live another day. Your eyes check the wheels and they don’t move. Or you make eye contact, they acknowledge, your eyes go to the wheel the fuckers start to move  and they fucking pull out anyway and you hit them up the arse big time, go over the roof, bounce down the road, end up in A&E, get patched up and never walk straight again. But she doesn’t know why she pulled out, gets 3 points and an expensive insurance bill next time but hey ho, that’s life..........

I'd best find a source, but that's really old thinking.  Even as a cyclist I was told to avoid eye contact as the driver assumes authority and natural instinct is to pull out in front of you

Tonight I was on the A446 heading north near Stonebridge island, there's a bit which drops to 50mph with average cameras on it through some roadworks.  I slow to 50 to go through it, and a short while later a SEAT Leon bombs up behind me and starts flashing his lights like mad, before overtaking me (it's dual carriageway) and then pulling off at an exit a short distance ahead.

Was I in the wrong for following the speed limit?  What the hell did I do?

6 hours ago, Pieman said:

Tonight I was on the A446 heading north near Stonebridge island, there's a bit which drops to 50mph with average cameras on it through some roadworks.  I slow to 50 to go through it, and a short while later a SEAT Leon bombs up behind me and starts flashing his lights like mad, before overtaking me (it's dual carriageway) and then pulling off at an exit a short distance ahead.

Was I in the wrong for following the speed limit?  What the hell did I do?

Sounds like the lorry driver who spent about five minutes leaning on the horn while tailgating so close I honestly thought he was going to start pushing, because I was doing 50 through the road works on the M1 a few days ago.  Do they know something about average speed cameras we don't?

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

Sounds like the lorry driver who spent about five minutes leaning on the horn while tailgating so close I honestly thought he was going to start pushing, because I was doing 50 through the road works on the M1 a few days ago.  Do they know something about average speed cameras we don't?

How do you know you were doing 50? 

GPS or mk3 cavalier Speedo with the wrong wheels ? 

What leeway for accuracy do you think the average allows ? 

Let's assume the lorry driver knows that he can average 53 mph and not get a ticket, and your speedo over reads by the max allowed by law (10% over and 0 % under) 

So you are really doing 45 mph.

Still a dick thing to drive too close in a lorry.  It's not like they have braking like an Elise. 

He should only be using his horn for a warning. So you should have assumed he had brake failure. 

9 hours ago, MikeR said:

Why bother .

Camp sites open in the morning ...

Camper vans on the Motorway tonight ! .

Some where near me  is accepting early arrivals !!! 

Have you left yet.  Looks like miles of tailbacks 

Took me 2 hours the first time I went thanks to someone giving me an incorrect post code. 

Screenshot_20200704-071137_Maps.jpg

11 minutes ago, New POD said:

GPS or mk3 cavalier Speedo with the wrong wheels ? 

What leeway for accuracy do you think the average allows ? 

Let's assume the lorry driver knows that he can average 53 mph and not get a ticket, and your speedo over reads by the max allowed by law (10% over and 0 % under) 

So you are really doing 45 mph.

Still a dick thing to drive too close in a lorry.  It's not like they have braking like an Elise. 

He should only be using his horn for a warning. So you should have assumed he had brake failure. 

It's a speed limit not a target.

15 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Trying to look up tyre options for the Jag and most of the results are swamped with van tyres, though you can sift a good chunk of those out usually by specifying the speed rating.  ...If the websites in question actually bother looking at the option.  I was a page and a half through the listings on Black Circles before I found a tyre which actually matched what I'd searched for.

It's not Google for crying out loud...the search and filter function only has one job to do...list relevant tyres... it's not hard.

Have you tried Oponeo and Camskill?

12 hours ago, loserone said:

I'd best find a source, but that's really old thinking.  Even as a cyclist I was told to avoid eye contact as the driver assumes authority and natural instinct is to pull out in front of you

I guess a pushbike is more exposed. On a motorbike you are taught to dominate your road position and ride defensively. On the advanced riders course I was taught to look straight at the driver, make sure they are looking your way then look at the wheels as it’s much easier to spot the beginnings of movement. With that stupid woman she was looking at me as I travelled about 20 yds, literally straight at me, then as I got to about 20yds from the junction she just pulled out. There was no space of the left and a nice high curb, so I tried to switch back to the right to go around but there wasn’t space and hit her about 3/4 across the back of her car with me doing about 30mph and her doing about mph if that. I can still get the sense of ‘oh shit’ when I think about it. The car behind phoned the police and ambulance, she just sat in her car talking to someone on the phone. All she got was 3 points and a crappy fine. I think she should have been banned personally but it wasn’t my decision. And despite admitting it to the Police, being prosecuted, there being two independent witnesses, her pulling from a side road onto a main road, she still tried to claim off my insurance! Strangely enough she didn’t Get far on that one. It took my three years to get a full payout on that.

4 hours ago, New POD said:

GPS. Dash showing 53.  Cruise control set so my speed wasn't wandering all over the shop.

Given he had crept up behind me at about 0.2mph over the course of a couple of miles and we were heading uphill at the time, brake failure seems unlikely.  The arm out the window flipping me off was also a clue.

I'd have moved over and just let the idiot undertake me if I hadn't been about to turn off the motorway and in full knowledge that given how busy it was (not as though the car in front of me, which I was slowly gaining on was going any faster) that getting both out of his way and back into the right lane would have been a pain.

A very minor grump, in the grand scheme of things.

However, still no update on the Scaab. I visited the garage in person yesterday and they still haven't touched it.

They said last week they'd look at it on Tuesday. Then I phoned them on Thursday to be told they'd definitely look at it on Friday. Then when I asked yesterday they said they've had a couple of vans in that took up the ramps for days at a time.

I can't get annoyed at them as I'm massively taking the piss doing any of this at all right now, but still. It's a bit galling buying a car then immediately having it sit for a fortnight in a garage's yard. All it needs are discs and pads (which were delivered to the garage on Monday / Tuesday) and the fuel filter needs secured. The fuel filter is a dangerous fail (do not drive) on the DVLA site, so I thought I'd be best leaving it at the garage and not taking it somewhere to work on it due to the slight dodginess of the whole thing in general, even though it's all things I could do myself (and have done by now). Gaaaaaah.

As I said, though. Minor grump relative to everything else.

3 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

Please enlighten me on your meaning.

I already explained that one of the failures, although it's easy to fix, was listed as DANGEROUS DO NOT DRIVE so I don't particularly want to take the piss with a car that's not had an MOT since 2017, even just to drive it somewhere to work on it.

But you could fix that there, legitimately take it to a place of repair (which might be the street outside your house), fix the rest and then take it back for a retest.

I mean, I wouldn't, I'd just leave it there and grumble to myself.