The grumpy thread

outlaw118

13 minutes ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

I can recommend a kick-ass conveyancer (who just happens to also be the fruit of t'missus' loins a few decades back). She's been working right through the lockdown and has been having problems with some solicitors simply vanishing for the duration. Mind you - she says some of the more 'traditional' firms where she is would take a month to respond to an enquiry pre-lockdown  (emailed enquiry gets replied to by letter?) JIngs.

Our current CSs are doing exactly that.  We've had to insist in writing that all communications are by email unless agreed with us otherwise, even then we still don't have a date nearly four months down the line

Frankly that's the pits.

Second last place we sold I had our buyer turn up on the doorstep:  I'm just of the phone to my solicitor he's still waiting for a copy of the plans for your extension'.

'Really? I dropped them in personally at their offices about three weeks ago. Here, have photocopy to jog his memory'.

Lying b'stads.

16 minutes ago, djoptix said:

I need some shipping containers. Put in an enquiry on Mr Box website, their website says they have 10 foot containers new and used for sale or hire.  Would you like new or used says the enquiry form, I select used.

Next day I receive an email from Lauren who is apparently the Self Storage Sales And Marketing Manager with quotes for new, shiny and expensive containers. Please don't hesitate to get in contact with ourselves if yourself has any questions.

I reply saying I was looking for used, I think I specified that on enquiry?

Lauren replies saying terribly sorry, she neglected to mention that themselves don't have any 10ft used. Please don't hesitate to get yourself in contact with ourselves if yourself has any questions for ourselves, etc etc etc.

Drones.

Whereabouts in Dirtystainia do you need the containers? 

1 hour ago, loserone said:

Our current CSs are doing exactly that.  We've had to insist in writing that all communications are by email unless agreed with us otherwise, even then we still don't have a date nearly four months down the line

We went in to sign contracts etc. a few weeks ago.  They were gobsmacked that we were in masks, despite needing to be in the same room for what ended up being three hours.

It soon became clear that they had been failing to send us copies of the searches and paperwork which they'd had for months, blaming having to work from home.  Just before we left we were shown a copy of the title for the garden which we'd never seen before, and which was the wrong shape.  SHOULD NOT HAVE OPENED MY MOUTH.

Today we've had confirmation over the phone that the mortgage company are happy with the new plan - alterations provided by me to save the seller having to fork out hundreds for a professional job to join two dots with a straight line - and are happy to proceed.  

Solicitor: "We've chased the mortgage company"

Us: "They've told us it's done"

Solicitor: "We've asked for updated instructions and chased"

Us: "They told us they were in the portal you have access to and have been since Friday, before we last chased you".

Solicitor: "I'll look."

They're also holding us up by insisting on seeing the copy of the transfer to the neighbour of the 2x2 square of land which is wrong on this title and this title only.

2 hours ago, djoptix said:

I need some shipping containers. Put in an enquiry on Mr Box website, their website says they have 10 foot containers new and used for sale or hire.  Would you like new or used says the enquiry form, I select used.

Next day I receive an email from Lauren who is apparently the Self Storage Sales And Marketing Manager with quotes for new, shiny and expensive containers. Please don't hesitate to get in contact with ourselves if yourself has any questions.

I reply saying I was looking for used, I think I specified that on enquiry?

Lauren replies saying terribly sorry, she neglected to mention that themselves don't have any 10ft used. Please don't hesitate to get yourself in contact with ourselves if yourself has any questions for ourselves, etc etc etc.

Drones.

Leavesley on the A38 near Lichfield are dirt cheap and USED to deliver most places for a modest fee (£25 to Derby in about 2000). Not sure if they still do but might be worth a call.

5 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

Are they still there?  All the ex-MOD kit disappeared a while ago...

I believe so Dave, the compound is still fairly full (well it was four months ago pre lockdown when I last went past). They haven’t had all the ex MoD land rovers for a few years now but usually have the odd small tracked thing knocking about.

http://www.leavesley.com/group/trading-division/

17 hours ago, EyesWeldedShut said:

I think it's just easier to get hold of these days - never used to see/smell the stuff once upon a time but these days? Bloody stuff is everywhere.
No psychosis as the snowflakes just lump in under their 'mental health issues' (and that expression gets on my tits as it really takes away from patients who have genuine, down to earth, screaming mental problems and aren't just having a bad day).

Dreadful post. 

Things are a little bit easier here in Bulgaria as Everything has to be in order before anyone can sell a property. 

All relevant paperwork is sorted by the seller,all utility bills must be up to date.

If the property is being sold as an inherited property then all of the beneficiaries have to sign they are happy with the sale,and with their share.

None of the above requires an estate agent, or even a solicitor if you feel brave.

A local Notary deals with everything so all you need is a qualified interpreter. Their fee is a fixed percentage of the sale "value"

Payments are done using a bank transfer for traceability, but some cash can be used for deposits ect

If you pay a deposit but then pull out then you lose it unless there us a very good reason.If the seller pulls out then your deposit is returned,plus they are fined the same again

If the seller and Notary are sorted then it is possible to find,inspect and buy a house the same day.

If it's a lived in property then a months grace is usual for the occupant to move out.If its empty then you arrange getting the keys at the time of sale

Screenshot_20200620-224251_Facebook.jpg

I forgot to mention the Midsummers day/Solstice thing. Obviously it lagged it down on Sunday morning, so we cried off but Monday the forecast was bright and we got up at 03:45, cup of coffee & given our inability to travel to Stonehenge or Avebury we nipped down to the back of the new Amazon building where they've just unearthed the Eight Apostles stone circle...

116109998_TherecentlydiscoveredEightApostlesstonecircleinDonington.thumb.JPG.355531234bf12f1b4afbe35f14ef8c2c.JPG

Lockdown rules relax further.  No, that's not my grump.  (Anyone complaining that Boris is putting the economy ahead of people forgets that the latter IS the former)

No.  Now pubs will be open from July 4th, I had the audacity to suggest on social media that likeminded folks may wish to park their cars at a pub for a while - thus supporting the Public House (whose finances have been decimated) and getting some fresh air... all whilst remaining at a respectful and safe distance from each other.  All entirely possible and legal.

You'd be forgiven for thinking I'd asked other members of this group if I could bum their mother's and livestream it to a primary school assembly.

The fact that I'm more likely to die on the way there than I am of COVID-19 didn't seem to matter.  They seemed to think I was going to go round to all of their houses and forcefully eject them.  Then sneeze on them repeatedly.

I said it 2 months ago.  I said it a month ago.  I said it last week.  I say it now.  At what stage do we all start taking responsibility for ourselves?  I think the large majority are bright enough to be able to conduct ourselves in a safe and sensible fashion.  If somewhere's busy - I go somewhere else.  If someone gets a bit close, I step back.  It's not some kind of fantasy utopia where other people do that and we all just get on with things...

The cellar needs better ventilation so today I set about fixing that and fitting a fan and external vent. Dragged the sds drill out and the bfo 110mm diam hole drill.

Merrily drilling away (my house is 100 years old and the bricks are very hard) when the drill speeded up. Oh FUCK, The sds drive had sheared at the drill end. Lots of fooking about, trying to dismantle the drill to get the broken bit out. Managed to loose various bits of the drill into the abyss that is the shed at the back of the garage, just getting to the gearbox. Then found that my outside circlip pliers are't big enough to get the final bits out!.

Dragged the hammer drill out. Changed the drive to the bfo hole drill and fitted it. Started drilling, then drill got warm, and then warmer, then smoked. FUCK.

Took the dog a walk and had a beer. Now need at least one new drill and still have over an 1" to get through. 

Late last night I heard a horrible noise, went out to check my car etc was ok. An found a poor hedgehog had been run over. So moved it to the grass verge.  

This morning he was still there, been kicked by some gobshite kids. 

So did the only decent thing I could and burried him in the back garden. RIP hedgehog. 

Bank interest rates on loans have gone covid mental. My lad wants a van and needs around six grand. So I ring bank and ask about a loan to pay my loan  off and get the six for him. Mine has 6 months left to run and is currently 3.4%. So want to borrow about nine to do both . Go through all the stuff to be quoted at the end 12.9%. So my lad will have to get finance or wait till my loan is  finished and we shall see what's offered. Banks must be losing money and expecting us all to pay for it. 

On 6/22/2020 at 12:07 AM, captain_70s said:

I have this issue in my bathroom, presumably as there are holes in the floor for the pipes and there is no window, if I leave the door open by accident the whole flat ends up reeking. Traditionally for most of the week it reeks of regular cigarettes and then come the weekend it's weed time, currently it's mostly just weed, presumably due to furlough/lockdown, for a similar reason it's now very popular to sit in the garden behind the block (something I'd never seen anybody do in the years prior) so I get the choice of keeping the living room windows closed and boiling to death or opening them and letting the reek in.

Girlfriend_70s has mentioned that any item of clothing she leaves here ends up stinking, even if it's kept in drawers/the wardrobe. I don't tend to notice it as much, possibly because I grew up in a smoking household anyway and have an abysmal sense of smell at the best of times...

The amount of folk smoking weed and driving is also nuts. I was following a BMW on my home from nightshift earlier in the week which was leaving a trail of smoke from the cabin and would repeatedly sit at green lights for ages before speeding off.

I’m obviously out of the loop here, but I couldn’t recognise the smell despite having loads of the stuff to analyse ( with the licensed guy in the lab).

1 hour ago, taxi paul said:

Bank interest rates on loans have gone covid mental. My lad wants a van and needs around six grand. So I ring bank and ask about a loan to pay my loan  off and get the six for him. Mine has 6 months left to run and is currently 3.4%. So want to borrow about nine to do both . Go through all the stuff to be quoted at the end 12.9%. So my lad will have to get finance or wait till my loan is  finished and we shall see what's offered. Banks must be losing money and expecting us all to pay for it. 

Self Employed bounce-back could be a solution?

I'm sure lane discipline in this country is getting (even) worse.  Drove down to my parents' on Saturday morning, A roads as far as Swindon (apart from a couple of miles of M40) so not too bad, but even then some blind cunt in a white Insignia pulled onto the motorway and straight into the middle lane (which I'd also pulled into to allow him onto the motorway), forcing me to anchor up - seemed completely oblivious to me blasting the horn at him, then sat in the middle lane at 68 for the next 10 or so miles despite there being nothing to overtake.

On the way back last night I went motorway all the way, and fuck me, as I approached London it was like I'd driven onto the set of the fucking Walking Dead.  People sitting in lane 3 of 4 at 60, being overtaken on all sides, completely oblivious.  Sometimes two lane hoggers sitting side by side in lanes 2 and 3.  People unable to hold a constant speed (or anything close to it) so I trundle past them on cruise control, only to have them blast past then slow down so the cycle repeats itself.  It's really not that fucking difficult to drive on a motorway.  I am at a complete loss why so many people struggle with it.  I'm also glad that Norfolk has no motorways, or indeed roads with a middle lane.

6 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I'm sure lane discipline in this country is getting (even) worse.  Drove down to my parents' on Saturday morning, A roads as far as Swindon (apart from a couple of miles of M40) so not too bad, but even then some blind cunt in a white Insignia pulled onto the motorway and straight into the middle lane (which I'd also pulled into to allow him onto the motorway), forcing me to anchor up - seemed completely oblivious to me blasting the horn at him, then sat in the middle lane at 68 for the next 10 or so miles despite there being nothing to overtake.

On the way back last night I went motorway all the way, and fuck me, as I approached London it was like I'd driven onto the set of the fucking Walking Dead.  People sitting in lane 3 of 4 at 60, being overtaken on all sides, completely oblivious.  Sometimes two lane hoggers sitting side by side in lanes 2 and 3.  People unable to hold a constant speed (or anything close to it) so I trundle past them on cruise control, only to have them blast past then slow down so the cycle repeats itself.  It's really not that fucking difficult to drive on a motorway.  I am at a complete loss why so many people struggle with it.  I'm also glad that Norfolk has no motorways, or indeed roads with a middle lane.

I drove to Manchester last weekend and found the exact same thing. 

On top of this, the Salt dog Focus seems to attract those types that get obviously insulted by the fact that they have been overtaken by a rusty 22 year old car. So then speed up to stop you passing, or blast past me, then slow down. 

3 hours ago, High Jetter said:

Which? magazine, July 2020, talking about MOT extensions mentions a MOT's 'expiration date'. What's wrong with expiry FFS?

To be honest, I've seen the two get interchanged seemingly all the time. I suppose it just depends on what articles or pages you look at.