The grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 minutes ago, New POD said:

Here's a question.  If your house smells of next doors weed, and you have a pre employment drug test. Will you fail ? 

I suppose it depends on how much he's passively inhaled.. if any.

12 hours ago, Lord Sterling said:

Absolutely fupping brilliant. TV signal completely gone. Everything.

I've been having issues with the signal on my TV for the last month or so. Never really more than just adjusting the antenna cable input into the TV. Today aome channels went out if tune, the more I adjusted it, the more channels did not respond.

I tried other antenna cables to no avail. I put everything back as it was and still, no channels, TV thinks there is no signal.

So glad a shiter has a TV for sale here. Time for an upgrade methinks...

Edit* Managed to get most channels back now. Confirmed that the cable input is faulty as cable needs to be twisted to keep it in place, if it even moves a feathers breath I'll lose the channels again.

We don't have a tv aerial. We just stream everything on firesticks. Can you try that?

Spent some time yesterday looking at my neighbour's Boxster.

It seems he forgot to pop the bonnet before it was laid up.

This wouldn't normally be an issue as it has the peg for attaching a jump lead to in order to unlock the car and pop the catch, only on this one the central locking is goosed so it refuses to open the bonnet still.

I also tried charging it though the 12v socket to no avail.

My next plan is to pull the carpet and firewall panel off and see if I can attach a trickle charger directly to the alternator.

15 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Thing is, they want to legalise all this. Won't mix well with mental illness. Expect more killings.

Lots of places in the states have legalized without any real problems, given access to gones and killing each other seems to be a national sport if there was an issue we'd know about it. 12 years and counting of austerity and cuts to mental health services probably are having a bigger impact than a Snoop dog special Chronic mix.

It's defacto legal these days as it is. Just like using a mobile phone while driving is given the police cant be arsed enforcing a simple law designed to make life safer. Legalize and tax it.

Back in the past when I was at uni people who might have indulged didn't want to get caught doing so and at least attempted to be discreet. Now people are happy to walk down a high Street in the middle of the day toking away on the grimest smelling stuff around.

Presumably it's for the  same way as vapers modify their pacifiers to make massive steam clouds so everyone can see how cool they are.

Edit to add I do have sympathy with those putting up with it. Lockdown has been bad for everyone in built up areas.

From people who can't turn a fucking BBQ off when they're finished, to dog owners who aren't letting the fact the council are no longer picking up after them stop them from letting rex make footpaths more hazardous than a ww2 minefield.

3 hours ago, ruffgeezer said:

Spent some time yesterday looking at my neighbour's Boxster.

It seems he forgot to pop the bonnet before it was laid up.

This wouldn't normally be an issue as it has the peg for attaching a jump lead to in order to unlock the car and pop the catch, only on this one the central locking is goosed so it refuses to open the bonnet still.

I also tried charging it though the 12v socket to no avail.

My next plan is to pull the carpet and firewall panel off and see if I can attach a trickle charger directly to the alternator.

You may need the ignition set in the accessory position if the 12v socket doesn't work with the ignition off ?

I can't see legalisation being a massive headache.  At least it keeps folks away from the dodgy dealers who are always going to be pushing users towards harder drugs where their money is - and goodness only knows what they're mixing in with the pot they're selling as it is.

People will make their own decisions I guess, good or bad.  The health implications of tabacco have been understood for decades yet countless people still smoke it. 

There are a bunch of health conditions for which pot - used properly - can really help with.  A friend of mine over in the US with severe arthritis was basically wheelchair bound, couldn't even get dressed themselves etc and had tried to take their own life more than once...then their state legalised it (they couldn't afford to go through the channels to get it medically before because of how f-ed up the medical system over there is).  They are now back at work for an IT networking company, and has even been able to get back to their art again.  The difference is absolutely staggering.

My grump today: I am going to find that sodding ice cream van and make the driver eat that bloody slightly off-key musical thing...there cannot possibly be a big enough market in our neighborhood to warrant him spending so much time around here...

Welded up a hole in each inner sill on the mrs' Kia Sorento to get it ready for an mot. Had finished what I was doing and was just having 1 last check before I drove it off the ramps, noticed a bit of rust on the chassis... Bugger!  Found another small bit in the chassis a bit further up, and ANOTHER bit on the other side. Fuel tank will have to come out for that one. Rear body mounts look a bit crunchy too. These things are awful for rust! 

IMG_20200620_165006.jpg

Round at in laws for the first time since lockdown and had to sort out FIL's hearing loop after Sky halfwit installed Sky Q and left it not working telling him it wasn't compatible (Loop was new last year and takes a optical input straight out of the skybox) two minutes in the sky box menus switching the optical out to Stereo not Dolby Digital and sorted..

How many other vulnerable pensioners have been left unable to watch the TV for months because sky muppets don't understand the settings of the kit they are installing! Grumpy over...

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Thing is, they want to legalise all this. Won't mix well with mental illness. Expect more killings.

The number of cannabis users in the UK has gone up approximately 20x since it was made illegal 4 decades ago; the prevalence of psychosis has not risen at all. Correlation is not causation, but that is a compelling statistic to me.

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

I can't see legalisation being a massive headache.  At least it keeps folks away from the dodgy dealers who are always going to be pushing users towards harder drugs where their money is - and goodness only knows what they're mixing in with the pot they're selling as it is.

People will make their own decisions I guess, good or bad.  The health implications of tabacco have been understood for decades yet countless people still smoke it. 

There are a bunch of health conditions for which pot - used properly - can really help with.  A friend of mine over in the US with severe arthritis was basically wheelchair bound, couldn't even get dressed themselves etc and had tried to take their own life more than once...then their state legalised it (they couldn't afford to go through the channels to get it medically before because of how f-ed up the medical system over there is).  They are now back at work for an IT networking company, and has even been able to get back to their art again.  The difference is absolutely staggering.

My grump today: I am going to find that sodding ice cream van and make the driver eat that bloody slightly off-key musical thing...there cannot possibly be a big enough market in our neighborhood to warrant him spending so much time around here...

Well, maybe it's not just ice cream that he's selling given your other issue?

22 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Entire street affected by power cut. Looks like people are running too many devices all at  a cablethe same time. Either that, or a foreign power has managed to hack into the electricity network....

News:

Foreign power own the electricity network!

Probably more likely that all this rain has got into a cable joint.

On 6/20/2020 at 6:53 PM, Zelandeth said:

We've got the house immediately to the north.  They don't do it in their house or garden...they stand in the middle of the street outside the end of my driveway.  That drifts into the master bedrooms, conservatory and lounge if the wind is from that side.  At the back of the house three out of the four are spending half the day in their gardens smoking it...so if the wind is from the other side that gets the other half of the house.  In the last 14 days it's got a million times worse.

Whatever variety it is they're smoking is absolutely *vile* too.  It lingers for hours and you can taste it.

Buy a big industrial electric fan, stick it on your driveway and blow it back towards them.  You can also laugh at them trying to stay upright if you crank the power up to 11.

On 6/20/2020 at 4:36 PM, Zelandeth said:

I am so, so, so fed up of my house reeking of pot.

I don't mind a bit in the background now and then, and accept that's part of living in a town...but the entire rear half of the house smells like there's a dead skunk decomposing in the walls.

I have this issue in my bathroom, presumably as there are holes in the floor for the pipes and there is no window, if I leave the door open by accident the whole flat ends up reeking. Traditionally for most of the week it reeks of regular cigarettes and then come the weekend it's weed time, currently it's mostly just weed, presumably due to furlough/lockdown, for a similar reason it's now very popular to sit in the garden behind the block (something I'd never seen anybody do in the years prior) so I get the choice of keeping the living room windows closed and boiling to death or opening them and letting the reek in.

Girlfriend_70s has mentioned that any item of clothing she leaves here ends up stinking, even if it's kept in drawers/the wardrobe. I don't tend to notice it as much, possibly because I grew up in a smoking household anyway and have an abysmal sense of smell at the best of times...

The amount of folk smoking weed and driving is also nuts. I was following a BMW on my home from nightshift earlier in the week which was leaving a trail of smoke from the cabin and would repeatedly sit at green lights for ages before speeding off.

On 6/21/2020 at 6:05 PM, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Well, maybe it's not just ice cream that he's selling given your other issue?

Ice cream vans*☆

Owned by mafia to launder drug money.

Also owned by mafia to sell drugs. 

Also owned by legitimate business people to sell ice cream. 

You choose the stereotype. 

☆* see any cash only business. 

Mrs C’s Seat Leon has gone full bingo lights on the dash .  We bought  it 3 years ago for 900 quid and It’s had a new radiator , 2 callipers and an exhaust and that’s it. It’s been very reliable although it’s hardly used. It’s had a long running engine management light, TPS is on and as of yesterday the abs and traction light is on . It’s also getting a bit scruffy but drives okay . I think it could be time to put it out to pasture. 

I’ll get it checked I have a friendly garage who can do but I believe mk5 golfs and their derivatives have common issues with abs  pumps . 
I had nightmares with my z4 , it showed Rear speed sensor faults and I Replaced Them both after a Total war and it still wouldn’t go Out. I’ve not got the appetite to repeat that .

With all the shitty lockdown shit, I've forgot to renew my gas safe registration. I've been locked out of the website to renew and ringing them, I just get automated voicemail telling me how there's nobody there because of the virus.

I've emailed them and haven't had a reply. FFS.

20 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

The number of cannabis users in the UK has gone up approximately 20x since it was made illegal 4 decades ago; the prevalence of psychosis has not risen at all. Correlation is not causation, but that is a compelling statistic to me.

I think it's just easier to get hold of these days - never used to see/smell the stuff once upon a time but these days? Bloody stuff is everywhere.
No psychosis as the snowflakes just lump in under their 'mental health issues' (and that expression gets on my tits as it really takes away from patients who have genuine, down to earth, screaming mental problems and aren't just having a bad day).

7 hours ago, New POD said:

I've cream vans*☆

Owned by mafia to launder drug money.

Also owned by mafia to sell drugs. 

Also owned by legitimate business people to sell ice cream. 

You choose the stereotype. 

☆* see any cash only business. 

As popularised by a certain comedy couple some years ago. :D

e95dbfd460fb862e6222201dcdbd0cc2.jpg

On 6/20/2020 at 11:47 AM, Tickman said:

Have you contact details of the seller? Maybe pop round to the house.

Tell them if their solicitor hadn't responded to you by 3 pm on Monday you are pulling out even though you really want to buy the house.

I can recommend a kick-ass conveyancer (who just happens to also be the fruit of t'missus' loins a few decades back). She's been working right through the lockdown and has been having problems with some solicitors simply vanishing for the duration. Mind you - she says some of the more 'traditional' firms where she is would take a month to respond to an enquiry pre-lockdown  (emailed enquiry gets replied to by letter?) JIngs.

I need some shipping containers. Put in an enquiry on Mr Box website, their website says they have 10 foot containers new and used for sale or hire.  Would you like new or used says the enquiry form, I select used.

Next day I receive an email from Lauren who is apparently the Self Storage Sales And Marketing Manager with quotes for new, shiny and expensive containers. Please don't hesitate to get in contact with ourselves if yourself has any questions.

I reply saying I was looking for used, I think I specified that on enquiry?

Lauren replies saying terribly sorry, she neglected to mention that themselves don't have any 10ft used. Please don't hesitate to get yourself in contact with ourselves if yourself has any questions for ourselves, etc etc etc.

Drones.