The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Some people really know how to game the system.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-8436599/Bounce-Loans-splashed-supercars-insiders-claim.html

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

That is total an utter clickbait. 

If the business survives and the spend the next 5 out of 6 years paying back the loan at 2.5 % so what. 

And if the business fails and an independent liquidator is called in by the creditors, who will look at the accounts and ask.if the directors operated in a fit and proper manner.  If they decide that the director did not use the money to bounce back, then a) the bank may decide to not ask the government to pay it or 2) may ask companies house to bar them from being directors. 

I have had a number of discussions with my wife, my accountant, Martin Lewis ( a bit one way that one), my son (trainee auditor for PWC )   about whether to take the loan, and what the implications might be. 

11 hours ago, rusty_vw_man said:

So today was house contract exchange date 2, after our sellers solicitors announced last minute last time it wasn’t happening. Like most sequels it was disappointing  

First thing this morning our buyer did their bit, our solicitor did their bit, and then the sellers solicitor entirely failed to respond in anyway at all, refusing point blank to talk to our solicitor. 

Not unsurprisingly our buyer has had enough of waiting (already been 6 weeks since it was first agreed exchanging was possible and almost 7 months since offer accepted), so ultimatum of Wednesday has been given. 

I reckon chances of it happening are pretty remote, so looking like I’ll lose this house sale, the house I’m trying to buy and a good few grand in fees, all because some toss pot can’t be bothered to do the job they have been employed to. I can’t even formally complain as they aren’t my solicitors. 

Why are houses so bloody hard to buy, anyone would think there was a multi million pound industry set up to make it more complicated than it needs to be.....

Your estate agent needs to smooth this out. This is the only time they earn thier money. 

24 minutes ago, rusty_vw_man said:

Trouble is the seller used a cheap pay up front internet agent, who quite frankly doesn’t give a toss - she’s got her money already. 

YOUR agent. 

51 minutes ago, New POD said:

YOUR agent. 

Ah, sorry see what you mean now. My agent has been excellent so far and has talked our buyer down of the ledge on multiple occasions already - he’s a first time buyer and has been ready to exchange for months. Trouble is without the solicitor responding at all we have no indication when we might actually be able to see it through. 

After a hard think and a sleep we are likely to sell the house anyway now, and move into a rental. Another house we liked has been reduced enough to just about bring it into budget, so there are options if this all falls apart. 

Based on doing exactly what you propose, in 1994, with wife and toddler in tow, I would caution the very idea.  If your circumstances change whilst you are in the rental market, you might find it hard to get back into the housing ladder. 

It was a very stressful 10 months. 

I am so, so, so fed up of my house reeking of pot.
I don't mind a bit in the background now and then, and accept that's part of living in a town...but the entire rear half of the house smells like there's a dead skunk decomposing in the walls.
I'm with you on this 100000000%. Furlough has seemingly turned all my neighbours into bbq obsessed stoners.. except for one who seems to suddenly fancy a future career as a balearic DJ. For 13 years it's been a relatively quiet corner of the world but since easter it's been exhausting just trying to live a quiet life and WFH.

1 minute ago, Keymaster said:
2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:
I don't mind a bit in the background now and then, and accept that's part of living in a town...but the entire rear half of the house smells like there's a dead skunk decomposing in the walls.

I'm with you on this 100000000%. Furlough has seemingly turned all my neighbours into bbq obsessed stoners.. except for one who seems to suddenly fancy a future career as a balearic DJ. For 13 years it's been a relatively quiet corner of the world but since easter it's been exhausting just trying to live a quiet life and WFH.

We've got the house immediately to the north.  They don't do it in their house or garden...they stand in the middle of the street outside the end of my driveway.  That drifts into the master bedrooms, conservatory and lounge if the wind is from that side.  At the back of the house three out of the four are spending half the day in their gardens smoking it...so if the wind is from the other side that gets the other half of the house.  In the last 14 days it's got a million times worse.

Whatever variety it is they're smoking is absolutely *vile* too.  It lingers for hours and you can taste it.

Absolutely fupping brilliant. TV signal completely gone. Everything.

I've been having issues with the signal on my TV for the last month or so. Never really more than just adjusting the antenna cable input into the TV. Today aome channels went out if tune, the more I adjusted it, the more channels did not respond.

I tried other antenna cables to no avail. I put everything back as it was and still, no channels, TV thinks there is no signal.

So glad a shiter has a TV for sale here. Time for an upgrade methinks...

Edit* Managed to get most channels back now. Confirmed that the cable input is faulty as cable needs to be twisted to keep it in place, if it even moves a feathers breath I'll lose the channels again.

We've got the house immediately to the north.  They don't do it in their house or garden...they stand in the middle of the street outside the end of my driveway.  That drifts into the master bedrooms, conservatory and lounge if the wind is from that side.  At the back of the house three out of the four are spending half the day in their gardens smoking it...so if the wind is from the other side that gets the other half of the house.  In the last 14 days it's got a million times worse.
Whatever variety it is they're smoking is absolutely *vile* too.  It lingers for hours and you can taste it.
Similar... except we don't have them standing at the front of the house at least. That's outrageous. I used to enjoy an occasional smoke back in the day, but I never smelt anything so pungent as what seems to be normal now. God knows what it's doing to their brains... as you say it tastes bad on the air.

In a great victory for town planning we have 10 gardens directly behind us and so on a sunny day with an easterly wind our house gets overwhelmed by their bbq and stoner smoke. We are in a single room deep double fronter so there's literally no escape from it in those conditions.

I suspect we are far from the only people suffering this problem right now

27 minutes ago, Keymaster said:
2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Read more  

I'm with you on this 100000000%. Furlough has seemingly turned all my neighbours into bbq obsessed stoners.. ....

Thing is, they want to legalise all this. Won't mix well with mental illness. Expect more killings.

10 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Entire street affected by power cut. Looks like people are running too many devices all at the same time. Either that, or a foreign power has managed to hack into the electricity network....

It's just that nice Mr Blofeld next door, in the hollowed out volcano, charging up his lasers again. Nothing to worry about.

On 6/19/2020 at 12:18 PM, barefoot said:

I'm happy for the moment just to knock on her door each morning at 07:00 & ask for it back - she doesn't get up until about 13:00. The police apparently suggested that she might buy a cat flap that will react to the chips in her own cats & not to mine. They're only about £50 and a couple of years ago I'd have said the same thing & even offered to pay half, but things have gone beyond that...

Glue the catflap closed.

6 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Barbecue a couple of old tyres when the wind is in their direction.

4 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Here's a question.  If your house smells of next doors weed, and you have a pre employment drug test. Will you fail ? 

2 minutes ago, New POD said:

Here's a question.  If your house smells of next doors weed, and you have a pre employment drug test. Will you fail ? 

I suppose it depends on how much he's passively inhaled.. if any.

12 hours ago, Lord Sterling said:

Absolutely fupping brilliant. TV signal completely gone. Everything.

I've been having issues with the signal on my TV for the last month or so. Never really more than just adjusting the antenna cable input into the TV. Today aome channels went out if tune, the more I adjusted it, the more channels did not respond.

I tried other antenna cables to no avail. I put everything back as it was and still, no channels, TV thinks there is no signal.

So glad a shiter has a TV for sale here. Time for an upgrade methinks...

Edit* Managed to get most channels back now. Confirmed that the cable input is faulty as cable needs to be twisted to keep it in place, if it even moves a feathers breath I'll lose the channels again.

We don't have a tv aerial. We just stream everything on firesticks. Can you try that?

Spent some time yesterday looking at my neighbour's Boxster.

It seems he forgot to pop the bonnet before it was laid up.

This wouldn't normally be an issue as it has the peg for attaching a jump lead to in order to unlock the car and pop the catch, only on this one the central locking is goosed so it refuses to open the bonnet still.

I also tried charging it though the 12v socket to no avail.

My next plan is to pull the carpet and firewall panel off and see if I can attach a trickle charger directly to the alternator.

15 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Thing is, they want to legalise all this. Won't mix well with mental illness. Expect more killings.

Lots of places in the states have legalized without any real problems, given access to gones and killing each other seems to be a national sport if there was an issue we'd know about it. 12 years and counting of austerity and cuts to mental health services probably are having a bigger impact than a Snoop dog special Chronic mix.

It's defacto legal these days as it is. Just like using a mobile phone while driving is given the police cant be arsed enforcing a simple law designed to make life safer. Legalize and tax it.

Back in the past when I was at uni people who might have indulged didn't want to get caught doing so and at least attempted to be discreet. Now people are happy to walk down a high Street in the middle of the day toking away on the grimest smelling stuff around.

Presumably it's for the  same way as vapers modify their pacifiers to make massive steam clouds so everyone can see how cool they are.

Edit to add I do have sympathy with those putting up with it. Lockdown has been bad for everyone in built up areas.

From people who can't turn a fucking BBQ off when they're finished, to dog owners who aren't letting the fact the council are no longer picking up after them stop them from letting rex make footpaths more hazardous than a ww2 minefield.

3 hours ago, ruffgeezer said:

Spent some time yesterday looking at my neighbour's Boxster.

It seems he forgot to pop the bonnet before it was laid up.

This wouldn't normally be an issue as it has the peg for attaching a jump lead to in order to unlock the car and pop the catch, only on this one the central locking is goosed so it refuses to open the bonnet still.

I also tried charging it though the 12v socket to no avail.

My next plan is to pull the carpet and firewall panel off and see if I can attach a trickle charger directly to the alternator.

You may need the ignition set in the accessory position if the 12v socket doesn't work with the ignition off ?