The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Not grumpy. Just a little sad.

Fiddlers Ferry power station which dominates the Widnes skyline generated it's last yesterday. Most of the factories have gone - what is for me a truly spectacular thing will soon be demolished. There are people who will be glad to see it go - just like the chemical factories - but the towns' prosperity has also gone.

You cannot replace thousands of skilled jobs with jobs at retail parks.

I understand that the chemical industry may have had an impact on that part of the northwest in ways that are not as positive as you might think.

The statistics on miscarriages, still births, birth defects and IQs of Widnes, Runcorn, Ellesmere Port and Warrington apparently make sobering reading.  I dont have a link or data to back that up. Just hearsay. 

29 minutes ago, New POD said:

I understand that the chemical industry may have had an impact on that part of the northwest in ways that are not as positive as you might think.

The statistics on miscarriages, still births, birth defects and IQs of Widnes, Runcorn, Ellesmere Port and Warrington apparently make sobering reading.  I dont have a link or data to back that up. Just hearsay. 

never heard of the dying rooms , very rarely spoken about place were unviable babies went ...  blindness was also a big factor

1 hour ago, New POD said:

I remember some village in Runcorn had to be (permanently) evacuated, think it was in the 1970's due to ICI allegedly just chucking whatever chemicals they couldn't be arsed with into a giant pit. Have also heard first hand about the Mersey being a dumping ground for the odd bit of excess material. 

Never heard of it effecting IQs though to be fair, but it could have happened in extreme cases perhaps.

Some poor soul has chucked themselves under the train I'm on between Carlisle & Preston, going to be at least until another two hours before were off the train or move..

4 blokes on the next table are quite pissed having drunk at least 30 bottles of Peroni between them. Oh joy..

Update, conducted has said its believed to be suspicious so likely to be even longer...

Going to be a long night...

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

Failed my job interview, apparently my answers were 'too generic' and I lack experience in sales.

I went into the telephone interview telling them I wanted to start a career, and the job description refers to 'comprehensive training' and doesn't require experience. 

Fuck that then. 

23 minutes ago, Cavcraft said:

I remember some village in Runcorn had to be (permanently) evacuated, think it was in the 1970's due to ICI allegedly just chucking whatever chemicals they couldn't be arsed with into a giant pit. Have also heard first hand about the Mersey being a dumping ground for the odd bit of excess material. 

Never heard of it effecting IQs though to be fair, but it could have happened in extreme cases perhaps.

I have no doubt the factories had a detrimental effect on peoples' lives. Sadly now does the low pay and lack of decent jobs - the work related illnesses replaced by drug and mental health issues.

7 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Failed my job interview, apparently my answers were 'too generic' and I lack experience in sales.

I went into the telephone interview telling them I wanted to start a career, and the job description refers to 'comprehensive training' and doesn't require experience. 

Fuck that then. 

Many companies either have no hr depot and simply wing the recruitment process, or have a useless hr department. 

Interviewing people who you already know don't fit what you want is a waste of everyone's time. 

Feel your pain, but don't give in. 

26 minutes ago, Bren said:

I have no doubt the factories had a detrimental effect on peoples' lives. Sadly now does the low pay and lack of decent jobs - the work related illnesses replaced by drug and mental health issues.

Absolutely, and once these chemical (and other big) industries are gone, they won't be coming back. We can kiss goodbye to any of that as their products will just get made abroad and imported.

2 hours ago, New POD said:

Middlesbrough area too.  ICI chemical works (and others) at Seal Sands and Wilton. Nuclear power station in Hartlepool (actually at the mouth of the Tees.  Dormanstown steel works in Redcar (where Sydney harbour bridge was built)

2 minutes ago, myglaren said:

Middlesbrough area too.  ICI chemical works (and others) at Seal Sands and Wilton. Nuclear power station in Hartlepool (actually at the mouth of the Tees.  Dormanstown steel works in Redcar (where Sydney harbour bridge was built)

All mutants down there, and the sun never shines.

Also, every monkey hanger I have worked with has been a paranoid back-stabbing cock sucker. Barely any of them drive, and they are all tighter than a submarine bulkhead.

12 minutes ago, Out Run said:

All mutants down there, and the sun never shines.

Also, every monkey hanger I have worked with has been a paranoid back-stabbing cock sucker. Barely any of them drive, and they are all tighter than a submarine bulkhead.

What a load of shit.  There's some good kids in Hartlepool trying to get out of industrial poverty, and I've worked with plenty of bright people from Teesside too when I lived in Stockton - not somewhere I'd choose to live, perhaps, but I have different priorities.  Perhaps you just work somewhere that only employs idiots?

2 minutes ago, loserone said:

What a load of shit.  There's some good kids in Hartlepool trying to get out of industrial poverty, and I've worked with plenty of bright people from Teesside too when I lived in Stockton - not somewhere I'd choose to live, perhaps, but I have different priorities.  Perhaps you just work somewhere that only employs idiots?

Haha there’s something in the water. Literally. The further down the A19 you go, the weirder the populace - on the whole.

On 3/8/2020 at 6:18 PM, Craig the Princess said:

Bought a set of instruments in eBay to give a haircut to replace the ones which have stopped working in the Volvo 940.

But obviously the ones from a 1996 car has totally different plugs to a 1992 car despite looking the same on the front.

£75 pissed up the wall, I'll have to bung then back on eBay.

If Lakes at Wyboston have the right ones, I can fetch them for you? 

Blackfish

Documentary on netflix about SeaWorld 

What a fuck up it was , it starts off by stating no orca has ever been recorded as harming a human in the wild but one whale in seaworld has killed and injured a lot of the trainers , some of them had horrific deaths

It's well worth watching , I find it amazing seaworld still in business after watching this though it does seem to be more of a coaster park these days.

11 hours ago, Out Run said:

Aye, that was Stockton iirc? I put the HVAC on recirculate when I have to drive over the A66 flyover. Horrible place.

When I was a kid we had relatives in Stockton and recall it being a dire place to visit - that would be in the fifties.

Went to a concert there about fifteen years ago and was surprised at how much nicer it was.

Second daughter and family live near Teesside airport, village in the sticks.  Quite pleasant there.  SIL is a river pilot and has to be available at short notice or they would live around here - they have a house a mile from mine to move back to eventually.

His office is right across the river from the nuclear power station.

I think getting on a plane to travel anywhere is risky at the minute, you could end up quarantined in some shithole hospital for a fortnight, things are going to get worse before they improve that's for certain.

50 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

I think getting on a plane to travel anywhere is risky at the minute, you could end up quarantined in some shithole hospital for a fortnight, things are going to get worse before they improve that's for certain.

At least one place they won't force you to stay is in Pripyat.

Just been reading some more details on the death of PC Harper on the BBC.

The poor man was minced almost to death over a mile by thieving travellers dragging him behind the car because they wanted to escape justice at any cost.

Going to stay off the internet for a while lest I type something that upsets this very special group.