The grumpy thread

outlaw118

CX unhappiness. 

Emptied the expansion tank and found that the coolant is once again contaminated. There was a foreign body in the tank which I have managed to fish out.

Refilled tank with fresh 2-year blue readymix. Coolant level reads normal and no warning light.

Oil level difficult to see on dipstick. Oil and filter had been changed in November. It looks like it's within the allowable marks, but electric dipstick gauge reads minimum on turning the key when engine cold. Wondering whether I should top up with attendant risk of overfilling the engine.

Took the Mistress around the block and can now hear top end rattling under acceleration. Not good. Am betting on following:

- airlock in coolant channels (will need another bleed/flush)

- possible oil leak (but surely not from the filter connector?)

- worst case scenario: OMGHGF!????

Sold a bike on eBay via "Buy it now" and get a message a few hours later "Hello I dont want to buy this" Well you shouldn't have fucking pressed the buy and then the confirm buttons should you, you dopey twat! Relisted it and it sold a few hours later. Guess what? No contact again. I fucking hate people. 

2 minutes ago, w00dy said:

Sold a bike on eBay via "Buy it now" and get a message a few hours later "Hello I dont want to buy this" Well you shouldn't have fucking pressed the buy and then the confirm buttons should you, you dopey twat! Relisted it and it sold a few hours later. Guess what? No contact again. I fucking hate people. 

I generally ban them from bidding after a first failure.

29 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

CX unhappiness. 

Emptied the expansion tank and found that the coolant is once again contaminated. There was a foreign body in the tank which I have managed to fish out.

Refilled tank with fresh 2-year blue readymix. Coolant level reads normal and no warning light.

Oil level difficult to see on dipstick. Oil and filter had been changed in November. It looks like it's within the allowable marks, but electric dipstick gauge reads minimum on turning the key when engine cold. Wondering whether I should top up with attendant risk of overfilling the engine.

Took the Mistress around the block and can now hear top end rattling under acceleration. Not good. Am betting on following:

- airlock in coolant channels (will need another bleed/flush)

- possible oil leak (but surely not from the filter connector?)

- worst case scenario: OMGHGF!????

Head gaskets were rare in the non turbo CXs, but I suppose given the age of the cars now, could be increasingly common, I’d fill oil to the level on the dipstick, not a gauge.

1 minute ago, w00dy said:

Classified ad with best offer and set preferences to review all offers, do not accept the offer but counter offer with a picture of your phone number but don't end the sale on ebay site until the cash is in your hands, its the only way, buy it now doesn't work because of twats.

2 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Head gaskets were rare in the non turbo CXs, but I suppose given the age of the cars now, could be increasingly common, I’d fill oil to the level on the dipstick, not a gauge.

I'll give it a go.

Car has only done 82,000 miles in her life to date. Some cars aren't helped by lack of use.

2 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I'll give it a go.

Car has only done 82,000 miles in her life to date. Some cars aren't helped by lack of use.

My DTR was on the original clutch and head gasket when I sold it at 174000miles in 2006. Does the coolant look gunky? Not just brown?

10 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I generally ban them from bidding after a first failure.

I did. And I sent him a message explaining his actions and why he was making the world a worse place. This is a brand new tosser.

9 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

Classified ad with best offer and set preferences to review all offers, do not accept the offer but counter offer with a picture of your phone number but don't end the sale on ebay site until the cash is in your hands, its the only way, buy it now doesn't work because of twats.

I don't normally have any trouble, but twice in 2 days just makes no sense. Usually insist on immediate payment , but with a bicycle collection is preferable so didn't. 

11 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Stuck the Sonata on Gumtree.  Other than the generic "is this still available?" messages, the only response I've had is "Scrap it it's had its last days".

Thanks for your input mate, greatly* appreciated.

Now I remember why I hate selling cars to the general public.

It was probably just Sierraman...

14 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Stuck the Sonata on Gumtree.  Other than the generic "is this still available?" messages, the only response I've had is "Scrap it it's had its last days".

Thanks for your input mate, greatly* appreciated.

Now I remember why I hate selling cars to the general public.

I would genuinely rather take a £300 hit than waste my time dealing with the majority of folk who buy sub-£500 cars. Sometimes it's worth it for your sanity. 

The dream is obviously a giant, free, dry warehouse which you can forget about for 20yrs

1 hour ago, High Jetter said:

Very windy here, lights occasionally flickering. Have got to go out shortly, am hoping that as van hasn't blown over/away overnight it won't while I'm driving it. WCPGW?

I went windsurfing in a nearly new VW LT35 Luton van on the M25/M3 intersection years ago, very brown trousers moment from the middle lane of the M25 up on 2wheels, across to the hard shoulder nearly over the railings, holy fkkkk, I was carrying loads of dried flowers in the back, could of set up my own memorial on the M3 fast lane ???

Managed to set fire to my Royale yesterday. The injection system wasn’t playing ball and too much fuel had been dumped into the engine. I removed the plugs, pulled the fuel pump earth and spun the engine over to release the fuel from the engine.

A lot more fuel than anticipated came firing out of the plug holes, not helped by the fuel pump earth falling down and earthing on the battery tray. One removed spark plug or possibly an Ht lead ignited the fuel. Que my dad whacking the flames with the workshop manual while I ran to the garden to get water. Fortunately, my sister had washed her car the previous weekend and a half full bucket was sat there. I chucked it over the engine and managed to put the flames out.

The damage is limited to a lot of melted wiring insulation, damaged speedo cable, scorched and sooty washer bottle and expansion tank, and some bubbled paint on the underside of the bonnet. I was very lucky not to lose the whole car :(

Ironically, after taping up the wires the injectors are now behaving themselves, but the sump is full of petrol, so I’ll have to drain that next weekend and put yet more oil in.

51 minutes ago, mitsisigma01 said:

I went windsurfing in a nearly new VW LT35 Luton van on the M25/M3 intersection years ago, very brown trousers moment from the middle lane of the M25 up on 2wheels, across to the hard shoulder nearly over the railings, holy fkkkk, I was carrying loads of dried flowers in the back, could of set up my own memorial on the M3 fast lane ???

Just after getting back from the horse.

M1 Northbound blocked just before Scratchwood/London Gateway services, due to BMW E65 7-series colliding in the wet with something solid. E87 1-series also looking dented. E65 is a write-off, o/s/f wheel and suspension gone.

Yesterday afternoon I'd tried to replace the broken rear bumper on my battered Stilo which I stupidly thought would be a fairly stress free few hours.

What I wasn't counting on was being thwarted by the idiot previous owner, who had damaged it in the first place! As somehow he has also twisted the tailgate in the process to the right. So now the new bumper wont't fit without being hit by the tailgate everytime I close it. ?

What's more annoying is this bloody weather today is preventing me going outside in order to try and sort it. So guess I'm going to try adjusting the boot hinges & catch first. Hopefully I can get this all sorted out next week as it's really bothering me now.

15 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

Managed to set fire to my Royale yesterday. The injection system wasn’t playing ball and too much fuel had been dumped into the engine. I removed the plugs, pulled the fuel pump earth and spun the engine over to release the fuel from the engine.

A lot more fuel than anticipated came firing out of the plug holes, not helped by the fuel pump earth falling down and earthing on the battery tray. One removed spark plug or possibly an Ht lead ignited the fuel. Que my dad whacking the flames with the workshop manual while I ran to the garden to get water. Fortunately, my sister had washed her car the previous weekend and a half full bucket was sat there. I chucked it over the engine and managed to put the flames out.

The damage is limited to a lot of melted wiring insulation, damaged speedo cable, scorched and sooty washer bottle and expansion tank, and some bubbled paint on the underside of the bonnet. I was very lucky not to lose the whole car :(

Ironically, after taping up the wires the injectors are now behaving themselves, but the sump is full of petrol, so I’ll have to drain that next weekend and put yet more oil in.

That's bad. Hope it can be fixed. What engine is in it Mr Dicky? My 2.8 was replaced with a Monza 3.0injection and a 4 speed auto.

Steve

We’ve had fires and blindingly hot days, some people have died , a few thousand homes have been lost. We’ve had a drought for god knows how long. Last weekend it rained like god had turned on all the hydrants and turbo’d the hydrant booster pumps. Sydney’s water supply went back to where it was this time last year in 2 days(about 25% increase of total volume). And I’ve got a power outage due to the weather with no forecast resolution time yet.

Plagues, pestilence, drought, fires , flooding, I can deal with, I chose to live in this beautiful country after all, but now I have talk to the wife in the dark.

Australia in case you were wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk