The grumpy thread

outlaw118

44 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

Coventry? 

Having being to Polytechnic there, I have to say that I loved the post modern concrete.

Someone told me they knocked down the 19 storey hall of residence that was priory hall g block. Shame.

Indicated 35mph along a dead straight 30mph road with clear visibility and no other traffic. Spot bright lights joining the road way way behind me. Lights are gaining on me as I'm signalling to turn onto a 20mph road. Lights are right up my arse now, still don't know if it was high beams or just the high angle provided by a modern faux by four combined with being about a foot off my bumper. Going along at probably 25 because speed bumps and I want to be nice to my new shocks. Lights start rubberbanding back and forth behind me and swerving as if to check if it's clear to overtake, which is odd given their bonnet was almost at the level of my roof so you'd think they could see anyway?

Road changes to NSL, so I gently accelerate giving them plenty of space to past before the first corner. Nope. Still on my bumper. No chance of them passing now until the next village so I boot it so I can stay out of their way as far as I can, still mostly legal speeds though. Soon I'm making good progress away from them, I think I made it to the next village as they were somewhere just over halfway along the two or three miles. Back to 20 limit and down to 25 again, trundling up the hill trying to remember whether it's the first or second left I need. I glance up and the same lights are gaining on me again! By the time I start turning they're right up my arse again, even as I turn they're hassling to pass even though they could just drive around me.

Do these people just drive around with adaptive cruise set at 40 with the closest following distance and point the car where they're going? It's the only logical explanation.

See also: people trundling out onto roundabouts without at 15mph when they very much don't have right of way.

I never thought I'd have to explain to a grown man that signalling left meant I was taking the next exit and that as I started signalling after the exit he was emerging from it was probably going to involve going past him so it'd be really handy if he didn't drive in front of me. "But your indicator was on!!" As if I'm suddenly going to do a J turn to turn off at an exit I was already past.

I try to do my best to live and let live, but when someone nearly causes an accident and then blames me I can't help but say something. At the end of the day I drive for a living, priority number one is keeping myself and my license safe. But somehow because I'm in a uniform I'm automatically at fault even when other parties are blatantly ignoring traffic laws and common sense. Winds me right up.

3 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

There's a new book in the making here: 'Shit towns in shit cars'.

Funnily enough, Craig from Retro Cars mag had a crack at something like that in their most recent issue - touring the top ten 'ugly towns' in a slightly down-at-heel Fiat Multipla... all the way from Cumbernauld to Camberley. I believe Birmingham got a look-in... as did Bracknell, Slough, Hemel Hempstead, Hatfield, Luton, Coventry and Gateshead.

But yes, ugly from an architectural point of view, rather than miserable - but I'm sure there's a correlation somewhere...

Another vote for Corby. Sorry. 

I can remember as a kid, that they thought the new Disneyland might be built there where the ‘works used to be. Everyone got excited at the thought of the jobs it might bring... That’s about my only positive memory of the place. 

5 hours ago, Roobarb said:

Another vote for Corby. Sorry. 

I can remember as a kid, that they thought the new Disneyland might be built there where the ‘works used to be. Everyone got excited at the thought of the jobs it might bring... That’s about my only positive memory of the place. 

Funnily enough there's exactly the same discussion going on in Swanscombe near Gravesend.  Except it was a Paramount Enterainment resort on an old quarry.  First proposed in 2012, supposed to be starting construction in 2021.  Paramount pulled out in 2017.  Sure, that will happen...

It was also delayed by the discovery of a rare species of spider on the land.

9 hours ago, jamiechod said:

I  think it was wednesbury i got the mondeo from on saturday, it favoured sarajevo but slightly worse.

However, im certainly not being snobby - i live in bolton FFS

Wednesbury is a shit hole to be fair. Like any city there will always be grotty bits. But try Hillfields or Armley and you would think Wednesbury was a holiday resort!

7 hours ago, MondeoBlues said:

Macclesfield. And Wednesbury isn't Birmingham, despite what the IKEA tells you.

I can vouch for Macc, at least when I used to hang out there years ago. It was pretty dire.

I'm still not sure if The Macc Lads fans realised that the band were being satirical...?

Just back from a funeral.

Sadly it was a cremation, I much prefer standing amongst a handful of other mourners at the graveside. Especially on a day like today, with the wind and cruel rain whipping around, fighting with a brolly, whilst my cold toes seek purchase in the soft, freshly tilled earth. 

18 hours ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Received an email at 12.00 to inform me FedEx had delivered a parcel and obtained a signature for it at 11.56 I opened the email at 12.05

Delivery address on email was correct but no one had rang my doorbell. Says it was signed for by A. Ndy, but no card left for me to say where parcel is. Went to neighbours either side of me-neither were in.

Rang FedEx-very helpful, said they would check on my delivery and ring me back. 2 minutes later I get a call to say the driver will return in 5 minutes with my parcel. 5 minutes later, doorbell rings, open the door and handed package by FedEx jacketed person.

Missed a phone call 2 minutes later

They left a voicemail to say the driver had left my parcel with a neighbour. Complete bollocks.

Received a voicemail from someone at the local FedEx distribution centre.

"The driver says he left your parcel at number xx, and put a card through your door to say where he left it".

Why do they tell such lies? I have the parcel, handed directly to me by the driver. Dont know whether to ring the depot back and tell them, or just leave them thinking that their incompetent drivers are doing a great job.

19 hours ago, New POD said:

I've been to places more miserable than Stoke. On Trent

Tunstall 

Ah Stoke, I had an overnight business stay with Mrs at the time, ventured into town centre to have a look around and find a nice restaurant.... Boarded up shops, drunks, druggies and a McDonald's with iron bars, security grills on the counter.... Fkin ell what a shit hole and that was 20 years ago, has it got any better yet? 

14 hours ago, reb said:

See also: people trundling out onto roundabouts without at 15mph when they very much don't have right of way.

This is getting more common I think. Making your way round a large roundabout you see someone starting to pull out. No problem as you lift off the accelerator you think, they're being a tad cheeky but they'll be gone by the time you are there. Nope you then have to hit the brakes as they managed to buy the only car built in the past hundred years that can't get itself over 20mph.

Oh and you know that cunt that has their car alarm going off for two hours in the morning. You sit there getting irritated and bemoaning idiots while having your breakfast. Turns out the cunt that was pissing me off was of course me.

FFS I went out and checked, no lights flashing on either car and I locked and unlocked both remotely from the garden to check. Presumed it was further down the road but when I went back out the Rav4 was screaming it's tits off. It'd quite down with the key in the ignition and turned on but otherwise was having none of it until I'd disconnected the battery. Not only did I irritate the entire neghourhood including myself, I've not got something to fix as well. I appear to have managed to turn the alarm off now with it still starting and locking 'old skool' so that'll do till the weekend.

2 hours ago, Bren said:

The BMW has crapped itself. Started it this morning - running like shit and EML on.

I have lubed up in preparation.

Went back to it a couple of hours later. Started normally with no idiot lights.

Bastard modern cars. A mk V cortina beckons.

I have had a bad day. An AGM to attend in Burlington house, Piccadilly. First train off peak is 08.53 from Bagshot. It’s late. Luckily so is the connection from ascot to waterloo. Get to the meeting to find I’ve lost a cuff link. Just missed the reading train from Waterloo and waited thirty minutes for the next one as expected. Get to ascot to find all ongoing trains to Bagshot cancelled as a train has hit a tree.  So get the next waterloo train back to Sunningdale and walk the three miles home. Slightly shorter walking from ascot, but you can’t safely as there is no pavement. 

Now I’m soaked through.