The grumpy thread

outlaw118

3 hours ago, AndyIggs said:

WHat don't you like about the Mk1? I found it quite a good steer once it got up to speed around country roads. If it's the 1.6 as well the engines are quite reliable too. Its a shame rot gets to a lot of them

Yes it's the 1.6 Pez. Its a perfectly capable car, it just never entertains me or makes me smile in any way at all. I just find it so boring. It doesn't have a single quirk or feature, except for the fact you can lock the keys in the boot really easily (ask me how I found that one out).

Even some slightly* 'spirited' driving on holiday in Wales around the epic roads just didn't do anything for me. So many people say they're really good to drive so maybe I just don't like driving? ?

Oh yeah, also, look at that colour ?? This was the best it's ever looked, after a thorough wash, and it's still a crap colour. IMG_20180222_162706.thumb.jpg.3cd9888d8824b71cce529180a0e99f91.jpg

I quite like that colour, looks decent to me, but what do I know, I drve an MB.

Speaking of which: just took the dogs out (early to try and miss the impending rain) and parked with space both sides in a fairly huge and empty carpark.  I need the space to get sickly me and sickly dog out and then back in. So of course some total cocksocket parked right by the side f the car, passenger side so close he banged his door into mine when there is/was a whole load of empty spaces! It was so tight I had to reverse the car out of the spot so I could ope the passener door to get the dogs back in. What the fuck was the dopey twat thinking of?

25 minutes ago, Crackers said:

Yes it's the 1.6 Pez. Its a perfectly capable car, it just never entertains me or makes me smile in any way at all. I just find it so boring. It doesn't have a single quirk or feature, except for the fact you can lock the keys in the boot really easily (ask me how I found that one out).

Even some slightly* 'spirited' driving on holiday in Wales around the epic roads just didn't do anything for me. So many people say they're really good to drive so maybe I just don't like driving? ?

Oh yeah, also, look at that colour ?? This was the best it's ever looked, after a thorough wash, and it's still a crap colour. IMG_20180222_162706.thumb.jpg.3cd9888d8824b71cce529180a0e99f91.jpg

I think its more the time it takes to get up to a speed where you can enjoy it. A perk? Maybe the heated fronts in the winter perhaps?

Sometimes you just can't get on with a car, had a few in my time, personally think its better the devil you know. Always fancy changing my fezzy work shed due to it being a 3 door and having kids in it occasionally but I know for the past 18 months its been looked after and had a little bit of work done plus the majors being replaced in last few years by previous. I sometimes think I'll just be buying a car that's got someone else's problems in it.

5 minutes ago, xtriple said:

I quite like that colour, looks decent to me, but what do I know, I drve an MB.

Speaking of which: just took the dogs out (early to try and miss the impending rain) and parked with space both sides in a fairly huge and empty carpark.  I need the space to get sickly me and sickly dog out and then back in. So of course some total cocksocket parked right by the side f the car, passenger side so close he banged his door into mine when there is/was a whole load of empty spaces! It was so tight I had to reverse the car out of the spot so I could ope the passener door to get the dogs back in. What the fuck was the dopey twat thinking of?

Himself ?

52 minutes ago, Crackers said:

... it just never entertains me or makes me smile in any way at all. I just find it so boring. It doesn't have a single quirk..

Get rid of it then & buy something more interesting. You'll not find a better series of links to cars for sale than on this site.

Let me know what you get.

1 hour ago, Crackers said:

IMG_20180222_162706.thumb.jpg.3cd9888d8824b71cce529180a0e99f91.jpg

Have to say I like that! Very late model, good colour (tonic blue, I think it's called) and best engine/spec combo.

I have the same car but on an 03 plate. Has over double the mileage of yours and I love the thing. Only bought it as a stop-gap car for 12 months, that was over 7 years ago.

That should find an appreciate home very easily, I'd have thought. Roffle on here or try selling through some of the mk1 FB groups.

39 minutes ago, mrbenn said:

Have to say I like that! Very late model, good colour (tonic blue, I think it's called) and best engine/spec combo.

I have the same car but on an 03 plate. Has over double the mileage of yours and I love the thing. Only bought it as a stop-gap car for 12 months, that was over 7 years ago.

That should find an appreciate home very easily, I'd have thought. Roffle on here or try selling through some of the mk1 FB groups.

I had an Identical one, it was great and provided years of sterling service, I'd buy roffle tickets.

I stopped buying PC about 10 years ago after reading about such rarities as rear engined Renault 12s and front wheel drive Mustangs. Basic schoolboy stuff that showed the proof-reading if nothing else, was being subbed out to non-car people.  That combined with their photographers' tendency to HDR the fuck out the pictures was enough to cancel a subscription I'd had for about 10 years.
I'm surprised people still buy car magazines at all nowadays.

4 hours ago, sierraman said:

Craptical Plastics have a Mk1 Mondeo buyers guide this month. I don’t know where they get their research from for these articles but they mentioned it has a rear subframe which is prone to rusting out. What a load of bollocks.

i used to prefer Popular Classics and Jalopy,

cause those magazines used to deal with crappy cars more like what i like.....

any one else remember them?

5 hours ago, AndyIggs said:

A perk? Maybe the heated fronts in the winter perhaps?

Base+1 spec (Flight), indicated by lack of front Fogs. No heated screen here. Which is a bugger, sometimes it takes a year to demist ?

4 hours ago, barefoot said:

Get rid of it then & buy something more interesting

That's the plan. 

Well kind of. The plan is to get something that most people of here would say is dull as dishwater, but suits my needs perfectly. And then, a few months down the line, get something much more shite as a project 2nd car. 

4 hours ago, loserone said:

Roffle it on here, I'll have one

Keep an ear to the ground on that. When the time comes it will probably end up on here in some way or other. 

4 hours ago, mrbenn said:

Yes, it's one of the very last, I've only seen a handful. registered later than mine. 

4 hours ago, mrbenn said:

That should find an appreciate home very easily, I'd have thought. Roffle on here

Keep an eye out. I'd quite like to see it go to someone on here, if the money permits. 

Reading through the various replies I think I should state I have a slightly bizarre taste in cars (don't we all here?), hence my dislike of the Focus. Meanwhile, the Freelander 2 I've been borrowing goes back tomorrow, and I'm genuinely going to miss it - that's a car I've really enjoyed driving. 

The power steering pump on the V70 seemed to be whining a little,  not to worry I have a spare nearly new replacement pillaged from an identical scrapper a while ago... except it's very slightly different- the high pressure hydraulic union is about 3mm deeper on the replacement meaning it spurts high pressure hydraulic fluid all over the shop despite being tight.

What absolute bastard decided to make it so slightly different? ??

EDIT.

Worked a fix by grinding the shoulder down on the union, tightened it all up and it's worked, hurrah! It doesn't even look like too much of a bodge, either.

Whine is still there so obv the power steering pump wasn't at fault after all.  Life eh?

Craptical Plastics have a Mk1 Mondeo buyers guide this month. I don’t know where they get their research from for these articles but they mentioned it has a rear subframe which is prone to rusting out. What a load of bollocks.
I was surprised it did not mention the clutch change cost killing them off.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Crackers said:

Base+1 spec (Flight), indicated by lack of front Fogs. No heated screen here. Which is a bugger, sometimes it takes a year to demist ?

I realised it was a Flight when looking again at the pics after I'd posted. Think these were based on the LX hence the lack of fog lights and Zetec suspension. Not sure why Ford decided no heated front screen as all LX models had that after 2001/2002 ish.

A fine car and I'd have a couple of tickets if it comes to a roffle.

Re the Practical Classics comments, I'd suggest anyone that has constructive criticism might consider dropping the editorial team an email with any suggestions/thoughts.

I recently had the pleasure of spending an hour or so in the company of Danny Hopkins and can tell you that he is one of the nicest, most intelligent, respectful and considered people I have met in many a year. I personally believe that the magazine has gone from strength to strength under his editorship. His passion for the cars and his existing knowledge, plus enthusiasm to learn more, comes across very strongly.

As always, all opinions valid, and this post is not intended to dismiss or exclude any point of view.

I've lost the remote for the telly in the front room so am watching normal freeview telly in the conservatory. Salvage Hunters classic cars is on. Shit the bed, these guys need fucking shooting.  You should see the fucking AWFUL b&w pressed plates on a 1976 ro80. Gah! 

41 minutes ago, HillmanImp said:

I've lost the remote for the telly in the front room so am watching normal freeview telly in the conservatory. Salvage Hunters classic cars is on. Shit the bed, these guys need fucking shooting.  You should see the fucking AWFUL b&w pressed plates on a 1976 ro80. Gah! 

Is that the show with that insufferable Pritchard bloke on? ???

2 minutes ago, barefoot said:

I'm an editor and curious to know what you think I do.

Fight a loosing battle on the streets against computers and receipts? When a man is trying to change it only causes further pain.