The grumpy thread

outlaw118

7 hours ago, paulplom said:

You need to get those meters taken out. They shaft you and overcharge compared to standard meters. Both gas and electric.

I actually came off the standard meter (quarterly billing) because they were charging me massive amounts. I took the key meyers because I have a bit more control over what I use and don't end up with massive bills. NPower have been less than helpful over the last 3 years. I am paying off a big bill that I have argued with them about.

Its winter now so the opportunity to extract more money out of me is happening. I'll be changing as soon as my bill is paid off but I can't honestly see anyone keeping thier prices low and really helping people out.

Road salting season is upon us! I saw signs on the M25 on Monday night, and looking at my car now it's gone from washed and clean to BLACK with mega speed dirt lines up the bonnet.

Might treat it to a quick wash one day soon, maybe when I'm off over Christmas.

But what prompted this was I ran out of screenwash shortly after leaving the house, and I must be using it subconsciously because I arrived at work barely able to see! Chucked a pint in to get me home when proper non freezing stuff can go in/ No end of shit being thrown up now,  this is it for the next 5 months

12 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Road salting season is upon us! I saw signs on the M25 on Monday night, and looking at my car now it's gone from washed and clean to BLACK with mega speed dirt lines up the bonnet.

Might treat it to a quick wash one day soon, maybe when I'm off over Christmas.

But what prompted this was I ran out of screenwash shortly after leaving the house, and I must be using it subconsciously because I arrived at work barely able to see! Chucked a pint in to get me home when proper non freezing stuff can go in/ No end of shit being thrown up now,  this is it for the next 5 months

My reversing camera is totally covered with salt to the point I can’t see anything 

#modernproblems 

Kyle has just insured the 'raffle' win Vauxhall: £530 plus changed details on the other two which was another £120 and spent £115 on brake parts for the MR2. The grumpy bit is: I FEEL GUILTY! Why? Can't understand why I feel like it should be me paying that lot. Is this just some strange hangover from when he was young and I was all protective and paid for everything? I mean, the bugger is 32 years old and earns more than 90% of the population (other percentages are available and probably more accurate! :)  ).

I am so guilty I should have been a Catholic!

Driving into town earlier, I noticed what looked like a big lump of wood with nails sticking out on the opposite side of the road to what I was on.  It's a fairly busy road, but not a fast one, so I could safely swing around the roundabout I was approaching, stop with my hazards on in the carriageway to retreive the debris and be out of the way.  Now, I'm aware that the protocol is usually "leave it to someone else" and on a busier road would have done just that.  However, this thing look like a chunk of 2x4 with nails sticking out of it, that was likely to make a mess of whoever hit it and I could safely deal with the problem there and then.

So, I come to a gentle stop in the carriageway, pop my hazards on, and retreive the debris which, as it happens, was a chunk of wood with nails sticking out of it, looked like one of those supportive/protective stakes they put around freshly planted trees.  There's a layby to my left but I didn't pull into it because that wouldn't block traffic from the debris and I might not be seen picking up the debris, so the car served as a big flashy barrier.  No drama yet because there had been no traffic until I picked the debris up at which point a load of cars appeared off the roundabout.  Did they slow down on seeing a car sat in the carriageway with its hazards on?  NOPE.  Just swerve around it and go as fast as you can.

If a car is sat in the middle of the carriageway with the hazards on, even though there's a layby to the left, that should alert you to the fact that there's a problem and you should slow down, yes?  It shouldn't be seen as an opportunity to quickly scan the opposite carriageway and just blast past without a care.  Even when I'd got back to the car, the traffic that could clearly see me, and the car, didn't slow or stop behind the car to let me back in, they just kept on blasting past.  It's only a 40mph road and being so close to the exit of the roundabout, people were likely not doing more than 30mph at that point but still, it was astonishing how few drivers seemed to exhibit any real hazard perception or reaction to an obvious danger in front of them.

In the future I suppose that means the sensible course is just to leave the debris to be a hazard to someone else and let them have a bad day, rather than doing the right thing.

8 hours ago, Kiltox said:

Anyone who thinks this is an acceptable way to treat customer service staff (or anyone really) needs shooting 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7561963/amp/Leicester-woman-hurls-racist-abuse-Nationwide-Building-Society-branch-manager.html

When she says on the video "my husband works for you-he is head of IT", I thought "probably not for much longer".

Hope to read in the grin thread that she has been traced (must be easy to trace her husband)  had her account mysteriously  emptied, and will be prosecuted by the police.

No need for any of than at all.

2 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Driving into town earlier, I noticed what looked like a big lump of wood with nails sticking out on the opposite side of the road to what I was on.  It's a fairly busy road, but not a fast one, so I could safely swing around the roundabout I was approaching, stop with my hazards on in the carriageway to retreive the debris and be out of the way.  Now, I'm aware that the protocol is usually "leave it to someone else" and on a busier road would have done just that.  However, this thing look like a chunk of 2x4 with nails sticking out of it, that was likely to make a mess of whoever hit it and I could safely deal with the problem there and then.

So, I come to a gentle stop in the carriageway, pop my hazards on, and retreive the debris which, as it happens, was a chunk of wood with nails sticking out of it, looked like one of those supportive/protective stakes they put around freshly planted trees.  There's a layby to my left but I didn't pull into it because that wouldn't block traffic from the debris and I might not be seen picking up the debris, so the car served as a big flashy barrier.  No drama yet because there had been no traffic until I picked the debris up at which point a load of cars appeared off the roundabout.  Did they slow down on seeing a car sat in the carriageway with its hazards on?  NOPE.  Just swerve around it and go as fast as you can.

If a car is sat in the middle of the carriageway with the hazards on, even though there's a layby to the left, that should alert you to the fact that there's a problem and you should slow down, yes?  It shouldn't be seen as an opportunity to quickly scan the opposite carriageway and just blast past without a care.  Even when I'd got back to the car, the traffic that could clearly see me, and the car, didn't slow or stop behind the car to let me back in, they just kept on blasting past.  It's only a 40mph road and being so close to the exit of the roundabout, people were likely not doing more than 30mph at that point but still, it was astonishing how few drivers seemed to exhibit any real hazard perception or reaction to an obvious danger in front of them.

In the future I suppose that means the sensible course is just to leave the debris to be a hazard to someone else and let them have a bad day, rather than doing the right thing.

As a motorcyclist, thanks for taking the time. Something like that could ruin a biker's day in a very big way.

4 hours ago, xtriple said:

Kyle has just insured the 'raffle' win Vauxhall: £530 plus changed details on the other two which was another £120 and spent £115 on brake parts for the MR2. The grumpy bit is: I FEEL GUILTY! Why? Can't understand why I feel like it should be me paying that lot. Is this just some strange hangover from when he was young and I was all protective and paid for everything? I mean, the bugger is 32 years old and earns more than 90% of the population (other percentages are available and probably more accurate! :)  ).

I am so guilty I should have been a Catholic!

Remember when you were 32, and ask yourself if your own father would have felt the same. 

3 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Did they slow down on seeing a car sat in the carriageway with its hazards on?  NOPE.  Just swerve around it and go as fast as you can.

If a car is sat in the middle of the carriageway with the hazards on, even though there's a layby to the left, that should alert you to the fact that there's a problem and you should slow down, yes?

I had that happen a couple of years back when I had the Movano.  Driving back home late one night, there were a load of deer in the road.  And I don't mean muntjacs either, these were big feckers nearly the size of a horse, which would write your motor off good and proper if you hit one.  So I slowed right down and switched the beacons on, then tried to sort of gently herd them off the road using the van - which was awkward as there was a solid hedge on both sides at that point so not really anywhere for them to go.  Anyway as I'm crawling along at 15mph some cretin in a beavertail truck comes hooning up behind me and screams past at 60+.  Thankfully he didn't hit any of the deer, and they found a gap in the hedge a hundred yards or so further up the road and buggered off, but I found it extraordinary that it didn't occur to him that orange flashing beacons could indicate a hazard and it might be an idea to slow down - especially as he was in a beacon-equipped truck himself.