The grumpy thread

outlaw118

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

Balls.

When I went down to Kent a week or so back to pick up the engine analyser I'm currently reviving I went over the Dartford Crossing both ways.

Sadly the evening after, when I was planning to get the toll paid, I dozed off.  Woke up in time to be three minutes late in paying it.

Email through from the van rental company this afternoon to tell me they've received a fine for it, and have charged me £40 for the privilege of passing my details on.  So I've the fun of waiting for that to arrive.

Why the fluffing Hell don't they give you seven days to pay the bloody thing if you must do it remotely?!?

Oh...because they make a tidy little profit from folks who don't have a computer in front of them every minute of the day, that's why.

Oh...and how about offering cardless payment options?  If they gave the option of paying through PayPal it would have been done from the forecourt of the next service station I saw...oh...yeah... because they want people to miss the deadline and have to pay the fines instead.

I've no problem with there being a toll...I happily use the M6 Toll regularly...but they way they are running the Dartford Crossing is blatantly being used as a licence to print money at the expense of folks who happen to have a vaguely busy life.  The idea of paying for it after the event is just foreign to my brain...tolls are something you pay at a barrier at the point of use of the road...which is why this keeps going out my head.  Last time round I got it paid with minutes to spare.

So in addition to the nearly £100 of diesel used by the piece of automotive excrement Sixt hired me for the trip (the Xantia would have used less fuel...and that's saying something!), That's going to be another £100 on it...So £70 van hire, £100 fuel, £50 for the item itself, and now £100 worth of fine...£320...Really not such a cheap eBay impulse buy any more!

Yet another reminder why I should probably just cut out driving until we hopefully move back out of this bloody horrible corner of the country as I'm obviously incapable of keeping track of nonsense like this.

have to admit

I am very curious, if nothing else just from a "academic study" point of view to see what such a system does when I drive by in the Invacar :mrgreen:

given the knack it has for fowling up most 3rd party websites, and even the DVLA themselves where they thought it was a mobility scooter LOL

the results could be quite interesting LOL

Keeping on the wheeliebin theme...

Ours and half the streets hasn’t been collected for 2 weeks on the trot. Fired off an enquirey on the portal last week and it promptly vanished off the system, after the non collection today I did the same and apparently a “Bin not available for collection” report was generated by the bin men. Turns out the bin collection time has been moved to 06.30am from 08.00 am but none of us knew about it. Those neighbours that leave the bins out the night before we’re OK but those who take it out first thing missed it. 

Our bin has been compacted to the density of a collapsed neutron star already and there’s now another weeks worth of rubbish to go in before it’s collected. 

27 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Trying to look for 3/8" high tensile bolts on eBay just now, and it's making me want to tear my own face off.

unless I missed something or its for something else

but it wasn't it determined that the Model 70 wheel stud holes are not 3/8th? 

or well not 3/8th inch UNF at least!

(unless you mean 3/8th BSF?)

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

unless I missed something or its for something else

but it wasn't it determined that the Model 70 wheel stud holes are not 3/8th? 

or well not 3/8th inch UNF at least!

(unless you mean 3/8th BSF?)

Sorry...should have been clearer...3/8" BSF.

Additional grump...my compressor has apparently decided to take to tripping the RCD.  So that's something else I need to investigate. 

Really is being one of those days.

Managed to just leave dinner in the oven for 45 minutes - without actually switching it on.

3 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Sorry...should have been clearer...3/8" BSF.

is there a specific length your looking for or?

Iv just done a quick search with the term "3/8 BSF high tensile bolts", and I seem to be pulling up actual listings, I think so im happy to have a search for you :) 

4 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Additional grump:

eBay and Amazon.

Why is the *entire first page* of search results "sponsored results" which have absolutely nothing to do with my search terms?!?

Trying to look for 3/8" high tensile bolts on eBay just now, and it's making me want to tear my own face off.

Same with trying to find NOS older vacuum spares. 14000 pages of utter shit to sift through. Of course if you tick 'hoover' as the brand it shows the compatible with, which is no help

Insurance company still fucking me about over the Mini.  But in other news the medical team said that for any personal injury claim to be assessed I have to see their physio (even though I wasn’t physically injured). Saw him tonight and sure enough, lots of Muscular damage to my neck consistent with a car accident requiring several weeks of therapy at their expense.  

Oh good....

On 11/24/2019 at 9:49 PM, robinmasters said:

Anyway, I came here to rant, not reply.

LORRIES. Fucking lorries. Get off the fucking roads. I live near the Chunnel (adopts Peter Kay voice 'Remember when the channel tunnel was called the Chunnel? Ey? D'you remember that?'), so there's a lot of lorries on the local motorway. 

We don't shop in town centres anymore. The shops that remain in town centres don't need an artic to deliver their stock, because they're only little. Put freight back on the railways, and make retailers build their massive out of town shopping centres next to railway lines-and make them pay for the freight terminal to unload the trains. 

The big haulage companies and supermarkets  replace their tractor units and trailers regularly , every 2-3 years at 150k each  , they spend millions on fuel , jobs , warehousing, all taxed which the government likes

Despite what they say it's all BS,  they want us driving and spending 

Traffic is bad because despite us having the lowest unemployment for decades nobody actually seems to be working , if they were they wouldn't be driving about all day 

5 hours ago, Kiltox said:

Been on hold to Yorkshire Bank for 45 mins now and the queue I’m currently in has a wait between the “your call is important to us” shit so short that it keeps seeming like someone is going to ACTUALLY FUCKING ANSWER MY CALL

Somewhere recently I saw a small cartoon with a chap holding his phone listening to the message "Your call is important to us, please stay on the line until your call is no longer important to you"

I am SO indecisive. It is driving me mad. Can't make a decision to save my life, just vacilating constantly (which is not as much fun as it sounds for you dirty minded bastards!) without ever getting to a point where a decision is made. I know it's part of my 'illness' but really! I used to decide to do something and it was all done and forgotten about faster than I currently spend thinking/worrying about it.

My current indecision I hear you ask?

Do I get my car serviced? Do I throw it at Pete down the road who is good, cheap and local or do I do it myself?

For:

Pete will do it without any need for mucky hands on my part and the only pain will be paying and even that will be mega cheap.

Against:

Er, just the above really.

DIY, for:

Use the oil I want to use, know it's been done.

Against: not a chance in hell that I'm getting underneath, taking off undertrays and getting filthy so will have to invest in a 'Pela' pump which is extra cost. Where to store the dirty oil until I have now empty oil cans from the stuff I put back into the engine. An unexpected 'pro'to that is I've wanted to try a Pela pump thing for ages and apparently, it is a really efficient way of changing oil and gets MORE out than the 'proper' way.

Decisions decisions...

17 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

I've no problem with there being a toll...

I have.  The Dartford Crossing toll was supposed to be in place just for long enough to recover the cost of construction, after which it was supposed to become free.  Instead it was sold off to Johnny Foreigner and has become, as you say, a licence to print money.

On 11/23/2019 at 8:38 PM, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Gorilla Glue a dozen dildos to the wheelie bin during the night.  Leave a note "for you to fuck yourself with".

Just shop her to your local cuntcil, they can issue fines for leaving the bin out on the wrong day.

10 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I have.  The Dartford Crossing toll was supposed to be in place just for long enough to recover the cost of construction, after which it was supposed to become free.  Instead it was sold off to Johnny Foreigner and has become, as you say, a licence to print money.

Try living next door to it over the Christmas period as Lakeside and Bluewater shoppers decide to use your town as a short cut.  Add in the occasional shunt or breakdown and the place gridlocks making going out or getting home impossible,  

I hate the crossing

Sunday.  Orders a rug off eBay. 

Pays 5.99 for next day delivery (Tuesday) 

Arrange for in laws to be in all day (They rarely go out) 

The tracking says DPD. Didn't arrive. Seller struggles with English. 

Eventually it turns out that it was sent TNT and it failed to be loaded on Today's truck from Romford, to the North.  In laws have to go out tomorrow for 2 hours to optician.  Wife has now had to cancel stuff so she can be at her mother's to oversee the delivery.

Just what we were trying to avoid. 

Grrr. 

1 hour ago, purplebargeken said:

Started Gabapentin today.

Headache all day, could be the Gabapentin (hmm, doubtful), or not taking high strength co-codamol (more likely).

Potentially 25 more years of pain to look forward to. Think I'll keep hold of the co-codamol somewhere.

Are funny cigarettes not the thing for chronic pain? Or do you get random piss tests at your work?

1 hour ago, purplebargeken said:

Started Gabapentin today.

Headache all day, could be the Gabapentin (hmm, doubtful), or not taking high strength co-codamol (more likely).

Potentially 25 more years of pain to look forward to. Think I'll keep hold of the co-codamol somewhere.

Gabapetin is very addictive. If you ever need to come off it seek the advice of a good pharmacist.  Took my wife 6 weeks to ween herself off after being on it for 8 weeks. 

20 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Fair enough...to be fair I've zip in the way of knowledge of the area...London in general is one of those places I generally try to avoid if possible!

My grump right now is that I've just woken up to discover some bloody insect has been eating me while I've been asleep.  Covered in itchy bites.

Better not be sodding bedbugs, I've had the joy of trying to get rid of them before in one of the flats I stayed in ten years or so back.