The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Based on a lifetime of observation and reception, I have zero respect for humans.

I've just been watching Paul O'Grady- For The Love Of Dogs.  How can people treat dogs the way they do?

And now I'm watching Police Interceptors (on +1), which, strangely, is one of my favourite programmes.  How can people do the shit they do?

I genuinely can't understand why I watch these things!  All they do is confirm beyond any possible doubt my low opinion of people in general.  But somehow I find them compulsive.

TL;DR - "People" are just shit.

Maybe some of my grumps from the last few days are better suited to the depression thread, but one does go here.

I get annoyed at the best of times by seeing people sharing endless boredom about their offspring on social media, but today it was taken to a new level when some woman I know through my work posted a pic of her crotchfruit sitting next to a printed card reading "Today I smiled for the first time!"

GET.  IN.  THE.  FUCKING.  SEA.

8 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

Based on a lifetime of observation and reception, I have zero respect for humans.

I've just been watching Paul O'Grady- For The Love Of Dogs.  How can people treat dogs the way they do?

And now I'm watching Police Interceptors (on +1), which, strangely, is one of my favourite programmes.  How can people do the shit they do?

I genuinely can't understand why I watch these things!  All they do is confirm beyond any possible doubt my low opinion of people in general.  But somehow I find them compulsive.

99% of dogs are okay. Some might be under trained.

99% of people are not criminals and will never be in trouble with the law

99% of tenants are not bastards who will smash the place up and not pay the rent.

99% of young people do give a shit.

If they had programmed on the TV which reflected real life it would be a documentary about the family at number 9 who are fucking boring. 

An emergency tax code has resulted in a massive whack off my salary this month.  I opened my payslip thinking that it would be all roses as my new job pays a lot more than my old (but doesn't go up much in tax).  So this month I have 'earned' less than I would have my old job!  Bit of a kick, that one.  I only got the P45 from my old employer a couple of days ago, too.  So it's not like there's much I could have done about it.  But total deductions of nearly £600 on my salary is quite the sting.

Fortunately I made a considerable sum one-off freelancing this month so that's taken the sting off - but still.  This means the cambelt change will have to be delayed yet again.

On the plus side, I get paid on the last working day of the month - which for my organisation is the 20th December and we get 'discretionary leave' over Christmas until the 2nd of January so I should get paid again fairly soon.  And I'm looking forward to April...

22 minutes ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

An emergency tax code has resulted in a massive whack off my salary this month.  I opened my payslip thinking that it would be all roses as my new job pays a lot more than my old (but doesn't go up much in tax).  So this month I have 'earned' less than I would have my old job!  Bit of a kick, that one.  I only got the P45 from my old employer a couple of days ago, too.  So it's not like there's much I could have done about it.  But total deductions of nearly £600 on my salary is quite the sting.

Fortunately I made a considerable sum one-off freelancing this month so that's taken the sting off - but still.  This means the cambelt change will have to be delayed yet again.

On the plus side, I get paid on the last working day of the month - which for my organisation is the 20th December and we get 'discretionary leave' over Christmas until the 2nd of January so I should get paid again fairly soon.  And I'm looking forward to April...

If you paid emergency tax in November and give them a P45 you should get a balancing out and less tax in December.  

Idiot sister spent £7000 buying this joke 5 weeks ago:

IMG_20191128_104438.thumb.jpg.8d6de515086156ff79c64f711698d3ec.jpgIMG_20191128_104402.thumb.jpg.5fb3f82270afca2a57cc2363cd07e253.jpg

How can you spend so much cash and then give so little fucks? It's full inside of horse shit because it's so much trouble to change your shoes at the stables before getting in the car.

I have been left instructions that the screen wash needs fixing while she fucks off on yet another holiday. She had to drive up the M1 with a can of deicer pointed out the window 'cos the washer jets just don't work !!! It wasn't the hardest of fixes, they tend not to work when the screen wash tank is empty.

5 hours ago, New POD said:

If you paid emergency tax in November and give them a P45 you should get a balancing out and less tax in December.  

Sent them the P45 this morning.  Not their fault, I only got the cursed thing a couple of days ago.  We'll see.  I think I've been taxed more than double the usual amount so they might have to make an additional imbursement to my account to get it all balanced again.

Had to go out and get Phoebe pills (which they have increased the price of, again the bastards!) annd it was not actually, raining. By the time I got to the vets with both dogs in the car, it was. But they were out so off to the park and it pissed it down. effin' soaked the lot of us and worse, Phoebe had forgotten her ball in her desperate hurry to not get left out so destroyed a sapling! I mean tore it down and ate the remnants and that was after Mark stopped her once and I pulled her away once. Both times she went back to carry on.

This from a dog that can barely effin' walk but she can get a wriggle on when she wants to - the bugger!

Then back in the car, soaking wet and a whingy Chester (who HATES being wet or in fact even slightly moist) and even though I towelled them both off the inside of the car looks like the Somme. I HATE this fucking weather.

On 11/27/2019 at 12:01 PM, barefoot said:

I've not scene this before;

1606577096_Screenshot2019-11-27at11_59_30.png.47b9317ae642f6e7fd1b32a89191f4ea.png

Perhaps it's time I moved the Rover on - Talk about preying on folk's insecurities!

"Tired of all the extra costs on your car's MOT?"

Just don't bother, it works just as well without one.

16 hours ago, eddyramrod said:

Slipknot are/were right

slipknot-people-s-t-iron-on-sew-on-patch

You know how I'd been given a date we were moving house?  Yeah.  Solicitor has said it has to be delayed a week for some reason.  So that puts us moving on the very last weekend before Christmas to hire a van and move all my shit 300 miles, as well as navigating the hell that will be the M25 and the Dartford Crossing.

You can imagine how excited I am about this.  Personally, I'll be surprised if it's not delayed until January for some spurious reason and that'll probably somehow cost another £100 for something or other the solicitor needs for some reason.  Moving house is shit, don't do it kids.

We're literally just waiting to get the keys and the final bit of whatever paperwork it is.  They've got our money, the previous owner is already in their new home and totally out of the house, it's just the solicitor and their magical Two Weeks mantra that's getting in the way at this point.

3 hours ago, jakebullet said:

...How can you spend so much cash and then give so little fucks? It's full inside of horse shit because it's so much trouble to change your shoes at the stables before getting in the car....

Dunno. That looks clean compared to my car, and I'm forever driving to and from the stables in wellies....

I have exchanged and completed on the same day a couple of times so the two weeks isnt mandatory.  Saying that I found in December everyone sodded off on holiday so never managed to get a house bought during that month. 

I will raise a massive cheer when blockchain gets rid of the solictor and estate agent bit of buying and selling houses. It never seems to be anyones fault, yet everyone keeps needing an extra £100 here and there for different charges. 

10 hours ago, Alan_Green said:

"Please pay at till first".  Erm... OK.  £9 unleaded on pump 4. This is in Golders Green last night.  Guess they must've had a lot of make-off-without-paying crims.

IMG_20191127_220133.jpg

Well that would be me stuffed...I just fill mine and never know how much it will take until the pump clicks off...That would be the point I'd just drive off and find another garage.  Screw nonsense like that.

Got another email from Sixt today.  The email they sent last week saying that they had received notification of my having got stung by the Dart Charge, and that they would be passing my details to the issuer of the fine (charging me £40 for the privilege).  Today I got another email saying that they had in fact just paid it and were invoicing me for it.  So any chances of avoiding that on the "first offence" basis are out the window.  Another £78 out of my pocket.  Yay.

Had another grump today as well. We're meant to be attending a charity event in mid December (again in London, blarg), and the organiser had been really slow about actually getting details out to us.  They finally have now, and the site is inside the bloody LEZ...so we can't take the van.  Need to book a hotel instead, and there aren't a huge number of dog friendly hotels...so that'll be even more £££.  Also means we have to cram the poor dog in the back of the Xantia all the way down, which is further than I'd normally want to keep him in there.

...Also means I've now got a hard limit on getting it through an MOT...not far off either!

On 11/26/2019 at 8:34 AM, wuvvum said:

I have.  The Dartford Crossing toll was supposed to be in place just for long enough to recover the cost of construction, after which it was supposed to become free.  Instead it was sold off to Johnny Foreigner and has become, as you say, a licence to print money.

I got an email a couple of months ago telling me I had money in my dart account and it'd be lost / stolen by them if I didn't make a trip over asap or alternatively stick more money in it. 

Fuckers, the reason I haven't used it in ages is they're charging you for a horrible service, I actively avoid a part of England I quite like and used to go fishing down there and instead end up heading out to the east coast rather than knowing I'll be sacrificing an hour of my life to them at least.

2 hours ago, vulgalour said:

We're literally just waiting to get the keys and the final bit of whatever paperwork it is.  They've got our money, the previous owner is already in their new home and totally out of the house, it's just the solicitor and their magical Two Weeks mantra that's getting in the way at this point.

WTF? They have your money but you have no keys = bullshit shenanigans.

Well... we just got an e-mail to say that last bit of paperwork is done and we're on for the 16th.  I'm just waiting to see what new excuse/paperwork/fee they magic up on the 9th now to extend things beyond the 20th when everything shuts down until 2020.  I'm sure they'll think of something.  I daren't book the van for moving or anything for fear of the date being changed yet again and me getting hit with cancellation fees and, of course, the fact I'd be messing a company about by booking something I wouldn't use.

It's doing my lovely cocktail of mental health nonsense no favours at all and after a year of relative stability on that front I really do wish my brain would shut up for a bit so I can get on with stuff.

2 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Well that would be me stuffed...I just fill mine and never know how much it will take until the pump clicks off...That would be the point I'd just drive off and find another garage.  Screw nonsense like that.

I imagine it'll work like it does in America and a lot of the world. You go into the kiosk and pay a set amount as a maximum. Then fill up either hit that amount or if it's less, you automatically get refunded the difference. 

First time I filled in the states, I had a Mustang. Went in but wasn't sure how much to put down. Big tank in the Mustang and quite thirsty thought I, so best put down 85 dollars. Woman behind the counter gave me a strange look. Filled up from nearly empty and put in like 20 dollars ...

Oh in the USA the petrol hose is black and the diesel hose is green. Thankfully the diesel nozzle was too big to fit into the Mustang filler tube.