The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Took the Rover for a wash down the local hand car wash place the other day.  Matey boy is going to town when suddenly all these large white flakes appeared over the windscreen.  (Not his fault) but stripped the lacquer off the bonnet! Bum!  The boot has already completely gone so the bonnet might match up soon.  Annoying but the whole thing needs doing again one day. Ah well..  patina and all that!  

1 hour ago, EssDeeWon said:

Took the Rover for a wash down the local hand car wash place the other day.  Matey boy is going to town when suddenly all these large white flakes appeared over the windscreen.  (Not his fault) but stripped the lacquer off the bonnet! Bum!  The boot has already completely gone so the bonnet might match up soon.  Annoying but the whole thing needs doing again one day. Ah well..  patina and all that!  

I have been watching YouTube vids about car painting and there are some ways you can re clearcoat the bodywork where lacquer peel has taken place.  It won’t be perfect but considerably improved.  

I have also watched a man paint a car with a roller which was kinda fun.  Can’t be long before one of us does an Autoshite tutorial on how to do it.  Some are incredibly good, others stand back looking all pleased with themselves while their car looks like it has been pebbledashed and I just mutter “what the actual fuck have you done?”

Right, I am popping round with my rollers and a tin of Dulux vinyl silk!

Sodding car insurers. Get small 1.3 car so madam has a choice of cars to pootle in if needed.

Wife gets her on the Corolla for <£500 for a year back in September. Just tried to get her insured on the Suzuki as my policy is up for renewal in December. 

5 insurance search websites, only 4 providers would consider her as a named driver providing we have a black box and want to pay in excess of £2k per annum. I got quoted £900 when I had the Saab.

Without madam (just the wife and me) £198 for the year.

So much for smoll city cars being an ideal choice for a driver with 1 year and 3 months' worth of experience, no points or accidents. I just don't get it.

I went out to my car to try the gps on my phone out under the heated windscreen ..and outside the car .....

so I switched the windscreen power on and off ......

and the radio died ..

but the gps worked ..

so thats the radio and a track rod end to sort out .......  sometime when its warmer

Sodding car insurers. Get small 1.3 car so madam has a choice of cars to pootle in if needed.
Wife gets her on the Corolla for 5 insurance search websites, only 4 providers would consider her as a named driver providing we have a black box and want to pay in excess of £2k per annum. I got quoted £900 when I had the Saab.
Without madam (just the wife and me) £198 for the year.
So much for smoll city cars being an ideal choice for a driver with 1 year and 3 months' worth of experience, no points or accidents. I just don't get it.
Want to buy a Saab for cheep insurance...

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Dad hand painted our Renault 12 with Cannons Repaint.  Looked ok from a distance but he never bothered cutting it back to smooth out the brush marks.  

I went to a posh school.  Perpetual source of embarrassment that car, nowadays I would be parking it up the front and flipping the bird at everyone

I used Parsons 'Re-paint' on a Cortina 1500 GT estate with the widest wheels and arches ever seen! Bought it from Scunthorpe car auctions for £90 and ran it for a whole winter. Decided to smarten it up a bit and used the paint in Modena green and it came out...

Really well! Few brush marks here and there but overall, 9/10 though it takes ages to dry so if it had rained it would have been fucked.

In other matters: been asking Kyle what he wants for Christmas and he suggested a 'Die Grinder'. I thought that was a good idea and set to looking for the same stuff I have as it's been really good for years. Blue point 'Mini' air die grinder over a ton and the four dies to go with it (genuine Snap-on) are also a hundred quid! So bought a new but used (brand new but fitted with the airline connector so used...)  Blue point grinder for £55 and put in an offer for four dies of £90. See if that gets accepted.

Snap-on stuff is fucking expensive ain't it?

8 hours ago, omegod said:

Or bags of offal from the local abattoir 

A mate and I once pinched a large bag of offal from fridge behind a butchers shop once. Must have been 10 or 12 years old. We were chasing kids around pulling the tendons on chickens feet trying to grab them, playing tiggy with chicken heads etc. We dumped the bag at the top of my Grandmas garden. The smell from it a couple of weeks later was horrific.