The grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 hours ago, High Jetter said:

It took me a minute to realize the significance of that. If all the red signals were traditionally an X instead of a circle, would that increase the potential field of drivers by an extra 8% of men (and 1 in 200 women)? .... Maybe it's not only red and green though...

"X" isn't going to be easy to discern if you are half a mile in advance of the signal. 

When multi-aspect signalling (MAS) became standard,  signal heads were (and still are) generally - 

Distants: Green/Yellow, or Y/G/Y

Stop signals (formerly starters or homes): Yellow/Red (last signal before entering a terminus), G/Y/R, or Y/G/Y/R.

To some extent route knowledge, which every driver is expected to have, can mask colour-blindness but that's not always a help if you're approaching a signal at line speed from a considerable distance. 

In the last 10-15 years,  signalling has increasingly moved towards LED heads, especially those made by Dorman, which only have two aspects at most, but the bottom one can show G, Y and R, whilst the top aspect (if there is one) can only show Y. How does a colour-blind driver discern which indication is which?

Only if the railways convert to computerised "moving block" signalling - such as Thales TBTC used on some London Underground lines now - will colour-blindness become unimportant as there won't be any illuminated signals to observe. 

8 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

"X" isn't going to be easy to discern if you are half a mile in advance of the signal. 

When multi-aspect signalling (MAS) became standard,  signal heads were (and still are) generally - 

Distants: Green/Yellow, or Y/G/Y

Stop signals (formerly starters or homes): Yellow/Red (last signal before entering a terminus), G/Y/R, or Y/G/Y/R.

To some extent route knowledge, which every driver is expected to have, can mask colour-blindness but that's not always a help if you're approaching a signal at line speed from a considerable distance. 

In the last 10-15 years,  signalling has increasingly moved towards LED heads, especially those made by Dorman, which only have two aspects at most, but the bottom one can show G, Y and R, whilst the top aspect (if there is one) can only show Y. How does a colour-blind driver discern which indication is which?

Only if the railways convert to computerised "moving block" signalling - such as Thales TBTC used on some London Underground lines now - will colour-blindness become unimportant as there won't be any illuminated signals to observe. 

Being colour deficient can affect future jobs, however as I don't have the most common form of colour-blindness (red-green) I passed the medical for HGV. Blue & purple throw me out, along with pink & grey and very pale or very dark colours.

I did try to get a job on the tube once, I did say I was colourblind in a weird way and they still brought me in for an interview (I failed on the role-play to which I pointed out on their pre-interview letter "the interview does not include a role play" or words to that effect), and the medical prior to training would state if I would be offered the job deffo.

Basically if you can read a certain number of Isihara plates you'll be accepted for training as a train driver or even platform & signalling staff

5 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

The external HD we back up our photos etc too, has started ticking, so currently getting everything off I can, which is fun.  Oh and it sometimes crashes the transfer so I have to stay with it. 

Coffee is my friend :)

Had that happen once with a music drive, now I have an OTT set of drives to back up my photos I have 4 sets for photos. If you have Amazon prime they offer infinite photo back up as part of the deal plus unlike other specialized back up services your drive does not have to be attached every 28 days or something silly.  Good luck with it that can be a fraught time.

For the past year my wife has been fucked about royally by the NHS with a painful mass on her shoulder (they think its calcite). In the long list of not doing the right things for her in the name of saving money, she got an excruciatingly painful steroid injection a month ago. She saw the Physio yesterday who again tried to fob her off with exercises which don't work. My wife was however well armed for this and knowing it was a man, she went all-out with a soliloquy, sobbing Eastenders style and after making him uncomfortable for about 15 minutes, she finally got a referral for surgery. This morning however she was in so much pain she was sweating and shaking and has had to make an appointment with the doctor for stronger painkillers.

I feel so helpless and just want to take her pain for her :(

I have also developed some sort of reaction to the fibreglass wool which is being installed in the new walls being built around my desk at my office, I feel as if I have been kicked in the face by a pony. Can't wait until 25th November to start my new job.

19 hours ago, Aston Martin said:

Being a train driver sounds awful. Especially when some poor bastard decides to kill himself infront of your train.

I'm prepared to be flamed, but I'd just see it as a service I can provide, rather like the doctors in a Swiss clinic, and maybe better paid, if I can claim mental distress.

I'd be truly gutted, but that's the only way I could deal with it. 

9 minutes ago, New POD said:

I'm prepared to be flamed, but I'd just see it as a service I can provide, rather like the doctors in a Swiss clinic, and maybe better paid, if I can claim mental distress.

I'd be truly gutted, but that's the only way I could deal with it. 

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/train-driver-involved-eight-suicides-13398712

"All of a sudden he came out like a spring. I saw his fingers open up and I thought 'what the bloody hell is he doing?' All of a sudden he just appeared out in front of me.

"I just lost him because of the bushes and he just come out in front and he was waving and smiling at me.

"He wouldn't move, he just wouldn't move."

The article partly makes an assumption that the person who has committed suicide has been thinking rationally.

There are no winners. It'a like a mind in turmoil which is simply being passed from the perpetrator to the driver.

Anyway, I was not deemed a valuable enough member of society for my driver application to be progressed.

2 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

The article partly makes an assumption that the person who has committed suicide has been thinking rationally.

There are no winners. It'a like a mind in turmoil which is simply being passed from the perpetrator to the driver.

Anyway, I was not deemed a valuable enough member of society for my driver application to be progressed.

Rational thought is rare these days. 

Litre bottle of Castrol Syntrax gear oil has somehow managed to leak all over the boot of the Forester, probably squashed during recent timber-lugging.

Hell's teeth, it bloody reeks. That weird fish-oil smell just catches in the back of my throat and seriously makes me gag. I've been driving everywhere with the windows down since Sunday.

There's not enough Neutradol in the whole world...

On 9/13/2019 at 11:51 AM, Kiltox said:

Who are the idiots buying tickets for this bullshit? www.revcomps.com

Roffle style thing but they sell thousands of tickets and draw themselves rather than independently. 

1000 tickets at £16 for a 64 plate Leon diesel with 90k miles. 

What the actual fuck???

I get these adverts as well. Random commuter motorcycle that's about a desirable as a dose of the clap for even half of what the tickets add up to. Obviously it's a business and if people are willing to piss away the money fair enough. Someone on here that is more into gambling would be able to work out how bad the (or good) the value is compared to the lottery.

However I did dig into the terms and conditions and you can enter for free by sending in a postcard.... some of the stuff is close to autoshite enough to be worth a stamp surely.

Hello random RCD trip on the second ring main circuit...guess I'll be spending the next hour hunting for something that's died then.

It's always been a bigger for tripping when disconnecting large inductive loads, but doesn't usually just trip without provocation...so something has probably let the magic smoke out...

What is this new trend in car sales locally where if the car isn't selling, they put the price up?

(i'm guessing it's for when they do get some sort of interest from someone who previously hasn't seen it up at the lower price for weeks(, it makes it look more of a bargain when someone tries to get the price down and the seller can suddenly take an extra 2-300 off).

To be honest, when i've already seen a car up for less, i won't go near it if the same seller just sticks the price up. 1- It hasn't sold at the lesser price anyway so can't have been any great shakes to begin with, 2- the seller just looks like a game playing chancer i wouldn't want to deal with.

Northern rail.

A bit back I'm sat on the 16:08 pacer to hell waiting for it to rattle into life, and maybe stop being an oven. 16:13, and a bloke comes down the train, everybody off, we haven't got a driver. Hmmm, nice. Being a Sunday I can either try and run across the entirety of Leeds station for the 16:17 slow train, or wait an hour. I've got a gammy leg and I'm not Mo Farah normally so I go for the hour later option and a pasty, and spend the rest of the time filling in a delay repay claim form.

Claim form says tell us what happened. So I did, pointing out impossible to get next train within 4 minutes.

Got a response today, we're delighted to be sending you £1.49 compo, as we think you could have taken the 16:17. I can see arguments of reasonable vs possible coming soon.

6 hours ago, Mrcento said:

What is this new trend in car sales locally where if the car isn't selling, they put the price up?

(i'm guessing it's for when they do get some sort of interest from someone who previously hasn't seen it up at the lower price for weeks(, it makes it look more of a bargain when someone tries to get the price down and the seller can suddenly take an extra 2-300 off).

To be honest, when i've already seen a car up for less, i won't go near it if the same seller just sticks the price up. 1- It hasn't sold at the lesser price anyway so can't have been any great shakes to begin with, 2- the seller just looks like a game playing chancer i wouldn't want to deal with.

Back in the day I used to do this all the time. If a car had been for sale for ages, put the price up (which seems counter-intuitive) and normally, interest will start up. Sold quite a few cars for hundreds/thousands more than I originally wanted for them. I 'think' sometimes people just assume cos it's cheap it's crap when in actual fact, the low price is a realistic vision of its value but the higher price is what people perceive the value to be?

Had an original Range Rover up for £2000 and not a sniff. Took it to the auctions and it topped out at about £1800 so I brought it home and stuck it up for £2800. Sold it a few days later and took back a MINT Landie Safari with the big petrol motor (2.6? I don't like Landies or RRs) for a grand which I proptly sold for £2200. So overall, a decent profit after I nearly gave the original car away!

7 hours ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, DO NOT QUEUE ON ROUNDABOUTS!

Try Aberdeen. Loads of roundabouts here have traffic light controlled pedestrian crossings on the exits. You'll be driving round, trying to get clear ASAP then the lights suddenly change and you have to stand the car on its nose and now you're stuck queueing across the roundabout.