The grumpy thread

outlaw118

2 hours ago, Tamworthbay said:

FTFY, what an utter shit hole, the only place where you can have a pint in every good pub and still be legal to drive.

I remember a friend's Dad who had worked there saying the best thing the council could do would be invite the Luftwaffe back to have another go...

2 minutes ago, cort1977 said:

I remember a friend's Dad who had worked there saying the best thing the council could do would be invite the Luftwaffe back to have another go...

The old Joke was that Coventry had been destroyed twice, once by the Luftwaffe and once by the planners. Sadly there was a lot of truth in it. The pictures from before the war show it to be a beautiful city but only a tiny fragment (medieval Spon St) survives.

Are the seats in all modernz shit or is it just mine? I've done give or take 4k in the C2 in about a month and my back is absolutely killing me 24/7 now! I've managed to get the driving position more or less how I've always had my cars, but the seats are rock hard! Driving home from a shift it honestly feels like I'm sitting on a concrete bench, I don't think I've ever been so aware of how different the shape of my spine and the seatback is in any other car. Sod this, I'm going to fix the Volvo and never entertain selling it again! I'm 23, I shouldn't be having back problems already!

9 minutes ago, reb said:

Are the seats in all modernz shit or is it just mine? I've done give or take 4k in the C2 in about a month and my back is absolutely killing me 24/7 now! I've managed to get the driving position more or less how I've always had my cars, but the seats are rock hard!....

Think they learnt lessons from the Germans, who have long favoured "firm" seats on the basis that these work out more comfortable* long-distance.

Now that your lower back is fecked, what you need now is an oleopneumatic Citroen....

52 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

Or a Volvo, everyone I have had have been brilliant. Having had back problems for years they have been a welcome respite at times. Worst ever was a Mazda 3 which nearly crippled me.

I have one with the unfortunate malady of a skipped timing belt. My original plan had been to sell it and stop with the barge life, but the more I drive this C2 the more I realise it's not very me. And obviously the back thing!

This happened today to solve the problem of an on-the-limit tyre and no money:

20190820_130056.thumb.jpg.504004c19ae6c2d98f2ff52e70c48fa4.jpg

Even just doing it on one axle has absolutely transformed the ride, rubber bands and daily driving are not at all compatible.

I might use the c2 wheels on the 205 for brake clearance, because that's never going to be a daily so being mildly backbreaking goes with being a weekend toy I suppose.

1 minute ago, reb said:

I have one with the unfortunate malady of a skipped timing belt. My original plan had been to sell it and stop with the barge life, but the more I drive this C2 the more I realise it's not very me. And obviously the back thing!

This happened today to solve the problem of an on-the-limit tyre and no money:

20190820_130056.thumb.jpg.504004c19ae6c2d98f2ff52e70c48fa4.jpg

Even just doing it on one axle has absolutely transformed the ride, rubber bands and daily driving are not at all compatible.

I might use the c2 wheels on the 205 for brake clearance, because that's never going to be a daily so being mildly backbreaking goes with being a weekend toy I suppose.

The suspension on my 205 is amazing, the French know how to make comfy riding cars!

4 minutes ago, Tamworthbay said:

The suspension on my 205 is amazing, the French know how to make comfy riding cars!

Mine too! And it does comfy in a way that sticks to the road! The suspension on the C2 actually isn't the worst, I think it's massively let down by rubber band tyres. Even moreso by them being ditchfinders. I think a set of decent tyres on them combined with the more comfortable 205 suspension should see it be reasonable for my purposes!

What is the point in this?20190820_132921.thumb.jpg.3e3ac5d3cc5d55c9887e92e8c1f6c36d.jpg

I suppose it could be swung as a grin because that's all I need to be keeping in the boot. But what if I want to transport something else in the boot? Like that flymo there? Useless! It's bigger than the 205 and seats fewer people, why is there less rear cargo/passenger space!?

1 hour ago, Tamworthbay said:

Or a Volvo, everyone I have had have been brilliant. Having had back problems for years they have been a welcome respite at times. Worst ever was a Mazda 3 which nearly crippled me.

I can suggest an omega.

Mine is an mv6 on 235/45/17 section tyres with leather seats and is comfy enough on 300 mile journeys despite having sporty pretentious suspension wise.   But really you want an elite or Cdx on 15s or 16s and velour trim for ultimate ccomfort.

10 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Is a C2 actually bigger than a 205?  I'd be surprised.  They're a short-arse little thing.

It's definitely fatter, I think overall length is about the same, but more of it is taken up by engine bay. It definitely feels bigger to drive because of the absolutely massive pillars!

7 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Is a C2 actually bigger than a 205?  I'd be surprised.  They're a short-arse little thing.

There's not much in it, but the C2 is bigger in every dimension (assuming the Wikipedia figures are to be believed of course):

205 = 3.70m long, 1.57m wide and a wheelbase of 2.42m

C2 = 3.88m long, 1.68m wide and a wheelbase of 2.44m

I once worked for a while in Edmonton Green / Ponders End (on the Hertford Road, north of the A406), along the way from Netto (now Asda/Poundland). Quite a desolate place, with a couple of dodgy-looking Turkish / Kurdish "sports clubs" (i.e. gambling) which always had darkened windows and/or heavy curtains - basically a front for all sorts of goings-on.

Relieved to not have to go there now.

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

You must be looking at a different Wikipedia from me!

More a case of not clicking the article - I just searched Google for "Citroen C2 dimensions" and Google listed the figures I gave above from Wikipedia, but having now actually clicked the link,  it turns out that it's from further down the page for the Chinese made Citroen C2 (which is different to the one that we all know)! ?

Apologies, school boy error on my part.

4 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Chinese made Citroen C2 (which is different to the one that we all know)! ?

I immediately regret googling that. However, I'll post the results in the 'cars you didn't know existed' thread.

29 minutes ago, Anthony said:

More a case of not clicking the article - I just searched Google for "Citroen C2 dimensions" and Google listed the figures I gave above from Wikipedia, but having now actually clicked the link,  it turns out that it's from further down the page for the Chinese made Citroen C2 (which is different to the one that we all know)! ?

Apologies, school boy error on my part.

If memory serves the Chinese one is a Citroen-ish front end wobbed onto a pug 206?

I once worked for a while in Edmonton Green / Ponders End (on the Hertford Road, north of the A406), along the way from Netto (now Asda/Poundland). Quite a desolate place, with a couple of dodgy-looking Turkish / Kurdish "sports clubs" (i.e. gambling) which always had darkened windows and/or heavy curtains - basically a front ïğżïğżfor all sorts of goings-ïğżïğżon.

It hasn't really changed much but there are many more Turkish shops and restaurants.

It's still shit.

23 hours ago, Slowsilver said:

No, they did a Zafira Club which was the entry-level model. Not sure of all the differences but I'm pretty sure that it didn't have the roof rails or electric front windows. May not have had the electrically adjustable mirrors with the driver's side one heated when the heated rear window is on. I think the Comfort is the next model up, which still has keep-fit rear windows. Mine had a radio / cassette player fitted originally but I swapped it for a radio / CD player from a posher version. That, and the reversing sensors are the only after-market modifications done to it.

Oops, I lied. Forgot the headlamp protectors and floor mats, genuine Vauxhall-branded accessories fitted just after I first bought it when it was only 3 years old.
Yes it is Satin Red, which I think is absolutely the best colour for these, or indeed any car (except Rover Nightfire Red, which is also gorgeous). IIRC they also did a rather nice royal blue, a sort of browny/coppery colour, a rather drab green, and the inevitable silver. Not sure I remember any early ones in white, but I guess there must have been. I don't like any modern cars very much anyway, but I especially hate the fact that the majority are either white, silver or shades of grey. Cars should be a proper colour, not a monochrome shade. I think pretty much anything looks far better in bright red or bright blue.