The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Assuming that the work is done and you are happy with it are you able to pay something on account and the balance at the end of April, he may be happy with that,

I can see this 'problem' from both sides.

If I as the provider of services had agreed an end of April payment then I wouldn't go back on that unless absolutely desperate.....and even if desperate I'd be open to discussion on the matter.

'Nowt I can do' is a pretty naff response from the builder and breaches his verbal contract.

I think the above response is a very sensible one.

Might not be worth holding onto? Sounds to me like the builder is in financial trouble.

'Let's do it cheaper in the hope that the customer will stump up quicker than agreed and we get some cash in'.

The only time I used a builder was for a loft 19 years ago. He required payment for materials 2 weeks before he started, and then stage payments. Basically he limited his risk to one week of work.

He's still in business. You book him 3 months ahead and he keeps to about 3 days of his target start and finish.

Only does lofts thou.

Agreed with local builder for some work to be done, price agreed on, that he'd do it as and when he could, and that he'd bill me at the end of April.

Bill's come in now, less than I expected but still six weeks before I planned to have the fucking money to hand. Ten day 'pay by' on it as well.

FFFFFUUUUUUU...

Who's your builder ?

I am also grumpy. Son is a NQT secondary chemistry teacher. He wants out of teaching. Mentioned getting panicked in the class room.

You don't want this shit for your kids.

Best get out whilst still young. I’m in my 30th year teaching in a secondary school. Too late for me to change career and earn the same money-but I’m fairly lucky as I’m 55 next year so coul£ take my pension and work somewhere for a third of the pay.

Steve

I am also grumpy. Son is a NQT secondary chemistry teacher. He wants out of teaching. Mentioned getting panicked in the class room.

You don't want this shit for your kids.

No, and teaching really is shit. On the upside he's getting out young, and before he ends up too mired in it to see any alternative. My OH is in secondary education, and I've seen plenty of decent people's lives ruined by what has become a royally fucked up profession.

Best get out whilst still young. I’m in my 30th year teaching in a secondary school.

I lasted 9 years, in FE mostly. Enjoyed the first two, and slowly grew to hate it over the next five or so.

Side and tail-lights decided not to work on the C15. Not a good thing to have no rear lights in the misty wet weather. When I eventually found the fuses found that one had blown. Replaced it and new one has blown. It probably has water/damp somewhere where it shouldn't but it's tipping down so I will leave it for a bit and if it stops raining get everything apart and dried up. Won't be going anywhere until it's fixed.

Mot site has crashed .Doesn't recognise passwords.Tried loads of different ones but apparently I've already used that one.Try the one they suggest and get the same message.Tried phoning and just get the engaged tone.Great I've got a car still under test and can't log in the details.Atleast it will screw with the average time taken to do a test.

Ooh back on. 1 hour and 20 minutes to do one mot....

yeah thank's for that after I cancelled my 4 O'clock

Name and shame?

What has he done wrong apart from finish earlier, ask for less money and require payment?

Most people would be over the moon.

Broke terms of (admittedly verbal) contract and demanded payment early because he's short of cash.

What would actually happen if you didn't pay him now but waited until the end of April as agreed?  Would he send the lads round with baseball bats, or would he just whinge a bit?  If the latter, why not just tell him that to pay him early would cause you major issues so you'll pay when you agreed to pay.

He's hinted at the former, but the last lot who tried that went out of business shortly after due to completely unrelated circumstances.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

and guess who left his wallet at home !

fuck fuck fuckity fuck !

and I'm due at work at 2pm

right then, my 'Frank Spencer' of a day :

driving home from work last night, the low fuel warning made itself know - no problem, I'll stop at the supermarket and fill up. except its not 24 hours anymore. no problem, I'll go on my way to work tomorrow.

set off for work today, got to Sainsbury's, went to pay at pump and discovered no wallet - fuck.

time check - 20 mins until I'm due in, no time to go home for wallet, lets keep going and hope for the best

time check - 10 mins before work, outside lane of the redheugh bridge crossing into Newcastle and putt putt putt, no fuck no not here you bastard little car

I coasted up on the the central reservation thus

post-4462-0-13087400-1552657838_thumb.jpg

and banged the hazard lights on. 

right, phone work, explain to the new boss who I've worked for for less than a week what has happened and that I'm going to be late - not impressed :(

check the boot - ya fuckin' beauty - a jerry can - all I need to do is get to petrol station

post-4462-0-83488200-1552657871_thumb.jpg

except you've still got no wallet, you twat.

right, phone my sister..........hello, this is the voice mail for aaaaaaarghh !!
right, phone my mam..........hello, this is the voice mail foraaaaaaargh !!!!!! for fuck sake !
right, phone the land line - success - mam, no time to explain, can you get in the car and come to Newcastle quickly, bring your purse 

I started walking back over the bridge towards the petrol station and a friendly taxi driver pulled in and offered me a lift. what a hero, I explained my predicament and he even offered to buy me a can of fuel - lovely guy, thankyou so much mr taxi.

mam and sister turned up at the garage, I filled my little green can up and we got back to the little red shite bag 107

the eagle eyed amongst you may have spotted the next little snag in the plan

post-4462-0-83488200-1552657871_thumb.jpg

yes, thats a handy wee green can but WHERE IS THE FUCKING SPOUT ?

my best guess is at knockhill, or maybe in the back of Domes Audi ? fuck knows, but it wasn't where I most needed it today 

I splashed about 2/3rds of the Pez in and got going with scant regard for Newcastles seemingly infinite supply of bus lanes, work was achieved a mere 30 minutes late. 

explaining my tale of incompetence to my colleagues, one who had started the same time that I was due in was particularly impressed - "I wondered what idiot had parked up in the middle of the bridge !" - at least they know I wasn't bullshitting them

I stopped at the same garage on the way home and brimmed the tank.

and purchased a couple of very useful items

post-4462-0-62144300-1552692643_thumb.jpg

what a fucking day !