The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Funny how three times our solicitor 'isn't in today, sorry' but managed to call back from the office within 30 minutes each time.

I actually 'get' that. As a self employed individual, I use a call handling service. I switch over to it when I'm out and about or trying to get on with really important work. It saves being bothered by 'worthless' phonecalls.

Cavrcraft, you should be impressed that your brief called you back on these  occasions - he obviously is interested in you whilst trying to filter out the random shit. Stop being a diva and realise that you are only one of many clients your brief has. He got back to you each time - what's the problem?

How a driver with L plates is treated.

Taking my eldest out for some lessons in the Mazda, we're doing 50 in a 50 limit and the driver behind is less than 2 metres away from the back bumper.  I tell you what mate, if you're in a hurry then overtake but no.  From a purely practical point of view, if the learner makes a mistake (as they're quite likely to do) the insurance company would almost certainly find the car behind at fault, why would you do that?

Another thought they might not have had, as this is some twat who's effectively bullying my child, it brings out all sorts of strong feelings.  If there's a queue of traffic ahead and we all have to stop I then have an opportunity to make those feelings known.  So, if you hear a news story about someone who gets pulled from their car and getting a freak head injury, it'll have been me :)

e7IvaEY.gif

Did a show at work yesterday.  23 acts.  I do all of the tech.  Lights, sound, etc. whilst my boss did stage management.  Just the two of us.

I made one mistake of cueing a backing track a bit too early, so I had to start it again with the performer on stage.  Why grumpy?  Because every single time we do this show I make one mistake.  Just one.  But I've never had a clean sheet...

Taking my eldest out for some lessons in the Mazda, we're doing 50 in a 50 limit and the driver behind is less than 2 metres away from the back bumper. I tell you what mate, if you're in a hurry then overtake but no. From a purely practical point of view, if the learner makes a mistake (as they're quite likely to do) the insurance company would almost certainly find the car behind at fault, why would you do that?

Another thought they might not have had, as this is some twat who's effectively bullying my child, it brings out all sorts of strong feelings. If there's a queue of traffic ahead and we all have to stop I then have an opportunity to make those feelings known. So, if you hear a news story about someone who gets pulled from their car and getting a freak head injury, it'll have been me :)

e7IvaEY.gif

2 things.

Do you know how accurate the Speedo in the car is? No excuse for tailgating but if the road used to be 60 and now it's 50 and you are doing 45, well I can sense the frustration....... there's no excuse for tailgating a learner or anyone else.

Secondly teach the learner to slow down gradually if someone is tailgating. Target 35 if they get too close.

Thirdly don't let child see you other than calm. Just pretend it's normal to be surrounded on the road by cock wobbling twats.

..which it is.

I actually 'get' that. As a self employed individual, I use a call handling service. I switch over to it when I'm out and about or trying to get on with really important work. It saves being bothered by 'worthless' phonecalls.

Cavrcraft, you should be impressed that your brief called you back on these occasions - he obviously is interested in you whilst trying to filter out the random shit. Stop being a diva and realise that you are only one of many clients your brief has. He got back to you each time - what's the problem?

I'm not a solicitor but I do find that it is helpful to book a meeting room and have a meeting on my own, whilst not answering the phone.

The only way to get stuff done.

Taking my eldest out for some lessons in the Mazda, we're doing 50 in a 50 limit and the driver behind is less than 2 metres away from the back bumper. I tell you what mate, if you're in a hurry then overtake but no. From a purely practical point of view, if the learner makes a mistake (as they're quite likely to do) the insurance company would almost certainly find the car behind at fault, why would you do that?

Another thought they might not have had, as this is some twat who's effectively bullying my child, it brings out all sorts of strong feelings. If there's a queue of traffic ahead and we all have to stop I then have an opportunity to make those feelings known. So, if you hear a news story about someone who gets pulled from their car and getting a freak head injury, it'll have been me :)

e7IvaEY.gif

I did most of my learner driving with my Grandmother as the instructor and I was shocked at how much abuse she dished out to people who did stupid things because I was a learner. This is a lady who barely ever swore and all of a sudden she was giving out hand gestures and shouting ‘You Brain Dead Wanker!’ At people!

Did a show at work yesterday.  23 acts.  I do all of the tech.  Lights, sound, etc. whilst my boss did stage management.  Just the two of us.

I made one mistake of cueing a backing track a bit too early, so I had to start it again with the performer on stage.  Why grumpy?  Because every single time we do this show I make one mistake.  Just one.  But I've never had a clean sheet...

It’s the way of the world, I fucked up the intro of hard to handle last night, I must have played it 300 times but for just two seconds I was buggered if I could remember exactly where I came in. The (hard) trick is not to let it affect you next time.

As an ex-thesp who's also done stage management, you have my genuine respect and thanks.

Like we never fluffed a line? You don't have anyone in the wings with the book and a prompt...  ;)

2 things.

Do you know how accurate the Speedo in the car is? No excuse for tailgating but if the road used to be 60 and now it's 50 and you are doing 45, well I can sense the frustration....... there's no excuse for tailgating a learner or anyone else.

Secondly teach the learner to slow down gradually if someone is tailgating. Target 35 if they get too close.

Thirdly don't let child see you other than calm. Just pretend it's normal to be surrounded on the road by cock wobbling twats.

..which it is.

You’re right, of course.

Speedo is pretty much accurate up to about 80, I think it’s within 1mph at 50.

I’ve told him that if there’s traffic ahead and you’re being tailgated then you need to increase your gap to the car in front so you can stop more gradually. There weren’t any cars in front so I didn’t think slowing down was a good thing

This is not political... I just delivered 24 tonnes of 'food' thought that was a bit weird, so I asked the guy who's tipping me what it is?

"Potato starch, we're stockpiling because of...."

They're then sending this to a certain peanut and snack manufacturer.

I'm not saying I want it hard, but we need to stop this absolute bollocks.

And they've lost my paperwork.

Grump while I wait for dinner. Picked up a cold at a meeting yesterday. Had to go in the car as I had a dentists appt in Sunningdale at 4.10 followed by the hygienist appt at 4.30. Get there on time and at 4.20 the hygienist comes out and says the dentist is running late ( surprise!) and she’ll see me first. Anyway, it’s after 5 when I leave and it takes 45 mins to drive the three miles along the a30 to Bagshot. I can walk it faster than that.

During which the car temp reaches 100 but seems ok, then I smell hot burning oil, no opportunity to go anywhere else so I do the shite trick of opening the windows and putting the heat on max with full fans and a/c on max demist to bring the electric fans on. Temp drops to 90 and stays there as we slowly crawl along.

Get home and then walk down to the bike shop to collect my bike they’ve had today to replace the headset bearings. The mechanic has a good moan about it - cables rusty ( yes I have replacements ready and waiting for spring), chain and drive train worn ( yes, it’s the winter set so ditto) and play in the rear hub ( which I’m not happy about as it’s only 7months old from Decathlon but wonder if it’s worth complaining and taking it back? The problem with it seems to be that it’s not held in place in the usual manner and the Allen bolts have rusted in so won’t be possible to replace.

I think they’re trying to get me considering a new bike ( which I am I admit).

Then, I was logging in to the .gov website to pay the VED for the Mercedes £255 this year! My desk lamp blew the bulb - a weirded r7s security lamp type thing.

I’m going to watch the michael Jackson doc later for a break from the day’s ills.

Grump while I wait for dinner. Picked up a cold at a meeting yesterday. Had to go in the car as I had a dentists appt in Sunningdale at 4.10 followed by the hygienist appt at 4.30. Get there on time and at 4.20 the hygienist comes out and says the dentist is running late ( surprise!) and she’ll see me first. Anyway, it’s after 5 when I leave and it takes 45 mins to drive the three miles along the a30 to Bagshot. I can walk it faster than that.

During which the car temp reaches 100 but seems ok, then I smell hot burning oil, no opportunity to go anywhere else so I do the shite trick of opening the windows and putting the heat on max with full fans and a/c on max demist to bring the electric fans on. Temp drops to 90 and stays there as we slowly crawl along.

Get home and then walk down to the bike shop to collect my bike they’ve had today to replace the headset bearings. The mechanic has a good moan about it - cables rusty ( yes I have replacements ready and waiting for spring), chain and drive train worn ( yes, it’s the winter set so ditto) and play in the rear hub ( which I’m not happy about as it’s only 7months old from Decathlon but wonder if it’s worth complaining and taking it back? The problem with it seems to be that it’s not held in place in the usual manner and the Allen bolts have rusted in so won’t be possible to replace.

I think they’re trying to get me considering a new bike ( which I am I admit).

Then, I was logging in to the .gov website to pay the VED for the Mercedes £255 this year! My desk lamp blew the bulb - a weirded r7s security lamp type thing.

I’m going to watch the michael Jackson doc later for a break from the day’s ills.

Bad things comes in threes so....

1) bike

2) car tax

3) bulb

Hopefully you're alright for the rest of the day at least!

As an ex-thesp who's also done stage management, you have my genuine respect and thanks.

Like we never fluffed a line? You don't have anyone in the wings with the book and a prompt...  ;)

Dreadfully kind.  I DSM'd (specifically called) a large dance kids dance show last year in a large theatre.  Four shows, two casts and slightly different running order and show for each over a weekend.

Absolutely bricked it the whole weekend.  I have decided that whilst I'm good at calling shows, I'd much rather be mixing and lighting...

Having changed cars on ins policy and been charged 70 quid for the 3 months left - fine

Got renewal and it's 200 quid more even with the change included

Knew it might have been the same - have been getting quotes for what we're currently paying but fuck

Cheek

Turned n a grin cos coupla weeks ago found a thing that you pay flat fee then per mile

Even for the C4 it's half the renewal and if I modern car which will happen it's even cheaper

Fuck them

The Student Loans company.

No not the fact that they were handed out in a way that made ppi look well sold.

Nor if I was either Scottish or born a couple of years later it'd be wiped before I was due to retire.

Nor the fact the tax payer is paying for loads of admin on a loan like mine which they don't get a penny more from as its been sold.

No, it's the fact when you have to deal with them you use the universal sign of a terrible website. Yes a dot gov one.

Which like the crap dvla rubbish and anything else to do with the government passport login lets you enter loads of info before just saying there is an error.

You then end up ringing somewhere and arguing with a computer that can voice recognise 8 of the 9 digits of your account number, before refusing to accept you don't have a fucking password so just keeps asking again and again.

Eventually I got through to a sort of human who couldn't find my address my postcode. 'you must live in a new build' it's a hundred bloody years old this year ffs.

All of this because there was a gap between my old job where I didn't earn enough to pay my graduate tax and my new one which is the same. Obviously between the two I must have been getting paid 50k a month cash in hand as I'm obviously such a high earner.

There is no question by the time its written off when I'm 65 42 years orlf terrible admin will have cost far more than any repayments I'll ever make, so why waste all our time.

Aaaaaarrrrgh

Well I got the dinner on the plate without having to scrape it off the floor first :-)

What did you have?

There is no question by the time its written off when I'm 65 ...

I think you mean 68

-----

Now having read lots of stuff & doing a couple of smart arse replies, I'm fucked if I can remember what I came on here to grump about.

The Student Loans company.

No not the fact that they were handed out in a way that made ppi look well sold.

Nor if I was either Scottish or born a couple of years later it'd be wiped before I was due to retire.

Nor the fact the tax payer is paying for loads of admin on a loan like mine which they don't get a penny more from as its been sold.

No, it's the fact when you have to deal with them you use the universal sign of a terrible website. Yes a dot gov one.

Which like the crap dvla rubbish and anything else to do with the government passport login lets you enter loads of info before just saying there is an error.

You then end up ringing somewhere and arguing with a computer that can voice recognise 8 of the 9 digits of your account number, before refusing to accept you don't have a fucking password so just keeps asking again and again.

Eventually I got through to a sort of human who couldn't find my address my postcode. 'you must live in a new build' it's a hundred bloody years old this year ffs.

All of this because there was a gap between my old job where I didn't earn enough to pay my graduate tax and my new one which is the same. Obviously between the two I must have been getting paid 50k a month cash in hand as I'm obviously such a high earner.

There is no question by the time its written off when I'm 65 42 years orlf terrible admin will have cost far more than any repayments I'll ever make, so why waste all our time.

Aaaaaarrrrgh

If you think thats bad, try dealing with them when you've actually paid off the loan*. Took me 4 calls to get that sorted.

When I did my Self Assessment it came through that I was still needing to pay my loan back. Took 6 calls to the HMRC before eventually someone there got it sorted.

Seems like they don't expect you to ever pay it back...

* I (just) was on the older system (changed the year after I started), so I only had ~1k p/a of fees then ~3k p/a of loan. So it was plausible for someone to actually pay it back. Very much feel sorry for those that have 48k+ of loan/tax which they have to repay.

Why do women leave hair grips all over bastard place? 2 have found their way into the pump on the washer jamming it. FFS!!!

There's a solution to that, cover them in waxoyl and use engine braking.

Keep pushing that myth, if it makes you feel good.

I think you may have misunderstood.  I wasn't complaining.  What I used to get called at school for being crap at sport isn't something I want to repeat on here.  Also I'd expect to be called to account if I did.  I was not complaining about not being allowed to say that word.