The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Bollocks. Parking ticket.

Decided to have a lie in, and as I only had meetings in the afternoon at work I snoozed whilst the traffic cleared, got on the road about 9am and had a lovely stress-free journey down instead of dealing with the M40/M4 at 8.30am. Except the carpark was full.

So I saw a whole row of cars parked just outside the carpark on some really old, crusty double yellows. I figured I'd leave it there for an hour until some spaces became available, and move it. WCPGW? Beats using the overflow which is actually three miles away and probably also full but no way of knowing until you get there, by which time you're late thanks to Slough traffic.

The traffic warden that appeared less than 20 minutes after I left the car had a field day, did the whole row. 

Can't argue it, bang to rights, £35 down the drain. 

Bollocks. Parking ticket.

Decided to have a lie in, and as I only had meetings in the afternoon at work I snoozed whilst the traffic cleared, got on the road about 9am and had a lovely stress-free journey down instead of dealing with the M40/M4 at 8.30am. Except the carpark was full.

So I saw a whole row of cars parked just outside the carpark on some really old, crusty double yellows. I figured I'd leave it there for an hour until some spaces became available, and move it. WCPGW? Beats using the overflow which is actually three miles away and probably also full but no way of knowing until you get there, by which time you're late thanks to Slough traffic.

The traffic warden that appeared less than 20 minutes after I left the car had a field day, did the whole row.

Can't argue it, bang to rights, £35 down the drain.

You can.

If the lights are anything but clearly visible, and in the experience of my colleagues that can even include rotting leaves and pot holes, you’ve a good chance.

I’ve swallowed a ticket before because it was the right thing to do and I knew I was wrong - but don’t feel like you have to!

The yellow lines are good enough that I can't honestly say I didn't see them. They're a bit bashed up (you know, because people park on them 5 days a week!) but they're definitely there. I just tried to streetview to check but the image is a few years old and they're immaculate.

The yellow lines are good enough that I can't honestly say I didn't see them. They're a bit bashed up (you know, because people park on them 5 days a week!) but they're definitely there. I just tried to streetview to check but the image is a few years old and they're immaculate.

Take photo and appeal. 

Had to go into town today (Bristol) to get some tires fitted. 

For HAD replace with : To tight to pay £20 more and wait a day.

On the way home was behind a 2016 plate mini clubman. How did they get away with putting the brake lights in the bumper?

Standard bloody practise now for some reason, it's truly absurd considering the big fuck-off clusters they have. I thought the same thing the first time I saw the new full wagon Clubby. Totally daft.

"Off-road" Audis are the same IIRC. It's a stupid setup and I don't get why it was done, from an aesthetic perspective let alone safety and type approval.

I think separate brake lights are better than combined with rear light ones. Easier to see etc. It was one of the things I liked about Sierras.

Mind you those bmw 0.5 series chubbies need burning as they are sodding awful.

I agree, but the way that modern cars do it just don't make any bloody sense. Much like DRLs, or over-bright brake lights.

Reminds me, though, I got stuck behind a new TT at a few sets of lights recently. TTs have a high level LED rear brake light 3/4 or more of the width of rear of the car. Exactly at eye level. Not nice.

The driver clocked I'd put my sunblind down at the first set of lights, and for the rest of them, he held the car on the handbrake instead :-D

Standard bloody practise now for some reason, it's truly absurd considering the big fuck-off clusters they have. I thought the same thing the first time I saw the new full wagon Clubby. Totally daft.

"Off-road" Audis are the same IIRC. It's a stupid setup and I don't get why it was done, from an aesthetic perspective let alone safety and type approval.

The Audi SUVs have their brake lights in the same LED clusters at waist level. The ones in the rear bumper are the rear fogs which double as brake lights if the LED clusters malfunction in any way.

Recent Merc SUVs have the same feature. Quite amusing when one brake light fails and the fog light comes on as a mismatched substitute.

The lights in the bumper are there for the same reason Audi A1’s and Vauxhall Insignia wagons have lights inside the tailgate, either the US or the EU has a rule that if the boot is open then the car must still be illuminated from the rear. So if the car has it’s light cluster on the tailgate, they have to tack some extra ones on somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The lights in the bumper are there for the same reason Audi A1’s and Vauxhall Insignia wagons have lights inside the tailgate, either the US or the EU has a rule that if the boot is open then the car must still be illuminated from the rear. So if the car has it’s light cluster on the tailgate, they have to tack some extra ones on somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn't that why 300 series Discos got lights in the bumper too? as with the rear door open the spare covered half the lights.

Every day for months... EVERY DAY I’ve had an unwanted email with offers from Eurocarparts, today the Ovlov wont start because needs new battery, and wheres the ECP email? There isnt one. Thats where. I’M FUMMING!!!

They usually have a discount code under the banner but it seems not to be there now,

Checked on batteries and one the same as I bought a couple of years ago is £158.99

I paid £53+VAT through Andrew Page - that I recently found is owned by ECP.

If you have time to wait, "The Battery Guys" among others offer a decent online service with quick delivery.

Haven't used them personally.

Thanks, I've had a look on their website, WINTER35 gives 35% off but I think Halfords are still cheaper for similar batteries. This one at £120 looks ok. 

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/car-batteries/yuasa-hsb096-silver-12v-car-battery-5-year-guarantee

The car is March 2003 and this is it's original battery so I reckon nearly 16 years is probably ok!

Still a grump though as after all that time it chose the day my wife started a new job to not start. But that's not the grump. The grump is that I had to get out of bed to help sort it.

'Personalised' registrations.

No, not your usual illegally-spaced approximation of the owners name, but car models in the registration.

All of a sudden it seems at least half the local tradesmen are tooling about in VW vans with registrations beginning T5. Why? I know what it means, because I already know what a T5 is, so it doesn't tell me anything*. People who don't know what a T5 is won't be any the wiser after seeing the reg, so it doesn't tell them anything either*. What is point?

However, similar regs on BMW's often do tell you something about the owner, usually that they don't have as much disposable income as they used to-there's quite a few X5 plates on X3's, M5's diesel 3-series etc. Still pisses me off when I see them though.

I'm not really sure what my point is here.

'Personalised' registrations.

No, not your usual illegally-spaced approximation of the owners name, but car models in the registration.

All of a sudden it seems at least half the local tradesmen are tooling about in VW vans with registrations beginning T5. Why? I know what it means, because I already know what a T5 is, so it doesn't tell me anything*. People who don't know what a T5 is won't be any the wiser after seeing the reg, so it doesn't tell them anything either*. What is point?

However, similar regs on BMW's often do tell you something about the owner, usually that they don't have as much disposable income as they used to-there's quite a few X5 plates on X3's, M5's diesel 3-series etc. Still pisses me off when I see them though.

I'm not really sure what my point is here.

I 100% agree with whatever the point is :)

My mate in the USA has "Blue X5" on his ....Blue X5 - fine but why?

I always smile when I see an X5 plate on a Kia Sportage or an M3 or M5 plate on a 1-Series :)

I think the T5 thing is to show they are in the gang/scene - being "different" by being the same. 

I used to have an MX5 which was H680 EBV.  I sold it to KevFromWales.

I now have an H6 legacy for which I cannot for the life of me remember the registration.  Fuck knows why, I just can't get it right.

I'm so tempted to spend £250 on H6 EBV.  It's true, and I'd remember it.  But it costs the same as a car, including the best car I've ever had (Despairs and Tires' Kia Pride)