The grumpy thread

outlaw118

What an utter bell end, I didn't realise they were getting sought after, thought they were still worth the square root of fuck all

Out of interest was it an original or facelift shape?

It was the later C64C, the white one. I can get the VIC-II, CPU & ROM quite easily, just the later MOS8580 SID that's problematic. I could have had one for a few quid cheaper from Southampton, but would have cost more in fuel getting there.

Got a new multimeter for Christmas, was very happy. Brother's Camry needed jump starting so I decided to get a reading from the alternator. Straight up blew the 10 amp fuse. Oh well, parts a plenty on eBay.

im guessing you where trying to measure current? (if you where trying to measure voltage make sure you have your jack in the right plug on the multimeter as the current jack is a dead short as its designed to inline with something not across it)

not surprised you blew up the 10A fuse, a Car cranking over can draw well into the 100s of amps range

to measure something like that you want a Clamp meter :)

Very shit, make the most of the time, be available and make some more memories whilst you can. Apologies for the miserable stuff but do it.

Old age these days seems to suck the root big time. Both my and beloved's mothers are on the downward spiral. One has vascular, the other Lewies Bodies dementia. It is utter wank seeing the miracles of modern medicine saving our lives to live like happy cabbages.

No offence to the NHS as they do a brilliant job 24/7, 365 days a year, I just don't get the current "quality of life" equation.

Anyhoo, after doing a couple of more present runs I an convinced that the old adage of treat every other driver as a cunt whose sole purpose in life is to kill you is true. I despair, I really do.

Got a new multimeter for Christmas, was very happy. Brother's Camry needed jump starting so I decided to get a reading from the alternator. Straight up blew the 10 amp fuse. Oh well, parts a plenty on eBay.

As mentioned, sounds like you've got the leads in the current measurement terminals. Just be glad it had a fuse, I've still got scar from when I "measured the current" of a car battery when I was about 10.

It was a cheapo multimeter off the market, so instead of blowing the fuse, the test leads that I had wrapped round my hand just immediately started glowing red and burst into flames.

Bloody hell that sounds scary! surprised something the MM didn't melt before the leads started glowing!

also whatever you do make sure after your done using your Multimeter that you always plug the leads into the voltage measurement terminals

never leave the leads plugged into the current terminals, its all too easy to pick up the DMM to go measure something mains voltage related and forget you have the probes in the current setting and then BANG! (ask me how I know!)...

the fancier DMMs will beep at you these days if you have the current jack plugged in but have voltage selected on the dial.

Old age these days seems to suck the root big time. Both my and beloved's mothers are on the downward spiral. One has vascular, the other Lewies Bodies dementia. It is utter wank seeing the miracles of modern medicine saving our lives to live like happy cabbages.

No offence to the NHS as they do a brilliant job 24/7, 365 days a year, I just don't get the current "quality of life" equation.

This.

We're allowed to euthanise pets, animals etc that can only be kept alive by medicine, or wouldn't survive a bout of ill health, why are we not allowed to euthanise our family and friends who would have no quality of life, or indeed a life at all, surviving on a ventilator?

My experiences with the NHS have varied from region to region, but let's not open that can of worms.

I really, really hate that phrase.

"Someone else just demonstrated basic human empathy and I don't like it."

That's uncanny.

My Mrs literally just said -

'Someone else just demonstrated basic human empathy on the world's most obscure and barely known shit car forum for damaged , deranged and barely functioning human beings which bizarrely, the Dalai Lama and the UNHCR look to for direction of future policy, and you don't like it'

Or maybe what happens here simply doesn't matter nor mean anything, in the real world..

She's usually right, mind.

As mentioned, sounds like you've got the leads in the current measurement terminals. Just be glad it had a fuse, I've still got scar from when I "measured the current" of a car battery when I was about 10.

It was a cheapo multimeter off the market, so instead of blowing the fuse, the test leads that I had wrapped round my hand just immediately started glowing red and burst into flames.

Reading was in 10s of amps so I wasn't using the correct tool for the job from the offset. I was a little apprehensive but was told I should use my multimeter. I did make sure I had the right plug but I was using something completely inappropriate for the task. Stupid me, but bloody hell what a scary way to learn, having your leads literaally combust and glow red hot. Reminds me of when I learned how to "solder".

im guessing you where trying to measure current? (if you where trying to measure voltage make sure you have your jack in the right plug on the multimeter as the current jack is a dead short as its designed to inline with something not across it)

not surprised you blew up the 10A fuse, a Car cranking over can draw well into the 100s of amps range

to measure something like that you want a Clamp meter :)

Clamp meter is next on bucket list. I made sure I had the right leads in the right places as I've used even better LCR meters before and they're gr8 m8 things which one day I'll have. Whatever the problem is with the Camry it's either the battery or the charger because when jumped by a Rav4 it took 2 seconds from cold, whereas normally it would take 10. It is a 3 litre V6 after all! Also with the voltages there will be a diode to prevent reverse polatiry and stuff which is protected with a fuse (like they all should) so it doesn't forward bias and turn into a filament lamp, briefly.

Hermes Couriers are absolute fucking cunts. Ordered a TV from amazon on boxing day, waited in all day Friday for delivery, nothing arrives. Checked tracking, "delivery attempt made" bullshit. Phone amazon, they contact hermes and ask for it to be delivered today. So I wait in all day today, no show again. Checked the tracking info, it now says left in a safe place on Friday 28th. A safe place which I'm assuming is the delivery drivers living room as fuck all has been left. Now sitting on hold to amazon trying to sort it out. Fucking nightmare

That's uncanny.

My Mrs literally just said -

'Someone else just demonstrated basic human empathy on the world's most obscure and barely known shit car forum for damaged , deranged and barely functioning human beings which bizarrely, the Dalai Lama and the UNHCR look to for direction of future policy, and you don't like it'

Or maybe what happens here simply doesn't matter nor mean anything, in the real world..

She's usually right, mind.

I disagree. Behaviour here almost certainly reflects behaviour in the real world. Don't be a sociopath.