The grumpy thread

outlaw118

FFS. One day back at work after Boxing day..... 

Thought I would take the Minor to work as there doesn't appear to be any salt around and it hasn't been out much for a while.   In fact the last fuel receipt is dated June.  Walking past two known 100pc reliable motors I got in it at 4:45AM after opening the gates and emptying the crap out of the front footwell to be greeted with an apologetic cough from the starter motor.   I was about to get the handle out when I thought I would try a scoot down the sloping driveway.   It worked, luckily but I only narrowly avoided a reversing milk float coming round the blind corner in our close.   Nine houses, only one has milk delivered and the chooses the precise moment I am coasting round a corner with the lights off...

At 08:45 Mrs Rocker phones to say TV is dead and won't play.   I file this under "meh....don't give a shit" but made the appropriate conciliatory noises. 

Get home at 3pm absolutely fucked after a hard day back at work and she has towels all round the washing machine which is now at a jaunty angle under the worktop.   Seems to be a leak somewhere behind it.... 

They wonder why men are always fucking grumpy....

I saw two Minors in Sheffield today. A 1965 C plate Trafalgar blue 2 door parped past me whilst walking into town, and I saw an Almond green one parked outside a shop. They're great to see on the road.

I saw two Minors in Sheffield today. A 1965 C plate Trafalgar blue 2 door parped past me whilst walking into town, and I saw an Almond green one parked outside a shop. They're great to see on the road.

Was the blue one a slightly tatty, almost rat-look affair. If so it belongs to a youngish lad which is even more of a grin in my book.

I'm a bit late to this and I will miss the shag thread :( . But, I am finding it quite amusing, reading rants about people being snowflakes, from people who are being dummy spitting snowflakes themselves over the loss of a thread on a forum...

Apparently I can't get a phoneline set up at the new house because "the exchange is full", whatever the actual fuck that means. Odd, because there's a fairly recent openreach master socket on the wall, and the area's not exactly a heaving metropolis. FOR FUCKS SAKE.

Ordered full piss BT fibre broadband a couple of weeks ago. 300mbit fibre to the premises job, no fucking about

Brand new house with FTTP and an openreach fibre modem already fitted

BT said they’d activate on 27th Dec (today) but almost immediately they said it’d actually be 2nd Jan.

Phone call today - “we’ve just tried to activate your service remotely but it didn’t work, suspect the equipment in the house is faulty, we need to come and look at it and the first date is 2nd Jan”

.... left hand, meet right hand

Ordered full piss BT fibre broadband a couple of weeks ago. 300mbit fibre to the premises job, no fucking about

BT said they’d activate on 27th Dec (today) but almost immediately they said it’d actually be 2nd Jan.

Phone call today - “we’ve just tried to activate your service remotely but it didn’t work, suspect the equipment in the house is faulty, we need to come and look at it and the first date is 2nd Jan”

Over here in the land of super fast internet (Bulgaria),we ordered one of the combined tv/internet packages on a Friday afternoon

8am the next morning we had workers knocking on the gates for us to let them in and finish running 400 metres of fibre optic cable to the house

Monday saw an engineer turn up with router and tv boxes,and was finished and away on his moped before lunch

Service so far has pissed all over anything that BT managed, we do get the odd drop out but nothing like when we're back in the UK

Not bad for £12 a month

I'm on the new Open Fibre network (OFNL), so my ISP is a bit of a weird one called Vfast.  We don't have a BT line to our house.

When we moved in, I gave Vfast a call and asked when I could be online.  They said 'tomorrow, we'll send off a router now,' then they read my address back to me and realised that I was 5 minutes from their main office.  They put a router aside from me and I popped in that evening to pick it up.  Was up and running that night.  Total turnaround from initial inquiry to working fibre (at advertised speed, no less) 4 hours.

Can't say fairer than that.  BT can do one.

I’m driving to Muscat in the morning with the family for a few days holoday, so i’ve just been and packed the truck full off bikes, scooters and that sort of shit. “Hmm, what’s that on the floor in the spot that only the truck ever parks in?” I wondered to myself. “Oh, it’s transmission fluid, and it’s dripping from the fucking bellhousing”

Excellent.

This is how my experience with BT fibre started, they pushed the date back with no plausible reason given, then again, then ended up just cutting all lines to my house without telling me because they couldn't be bothered fixing it, so terminated the contract and blamed my previous suppliers for holding the line (that still ran over BT even with them) hostage.

Tried to talk to them, was passed to multiple people all called "Steven" at ever more ridiculous made up departments within the company (Hello, Level 7 Claims escalation department, Steven speaking, how may i help?), ended up in the hell of IT support via live chat email after the 4th Steven of the hour hung up on me, the live chat woman effectively told me to fuck off to another company and they were keeping all activation fees.

Ended up contacting the company they'd accused, who just put the thing through legal, Got a massive apology from BT, who admitted their fuck up (likely pressured legally to undo the accusations) and gave a full refund. I went back to my old company, who were just starting to offer the service i wanted anyway and had no issues.

BT are an absolute shower i'd never, ever go near again.

All this stuff on the forum would never have happened under the old regime......

because the fucker would have been offline again for a weird essential upgrade.

Not that anyone gives a shit what I think (and they are quite right) but I did feel we lost a certain something with the renaming of the question thread, less so the women we'd like to.... - I agree with the Moog - it had really run its course.

One exceedingly good thing I have noticed is the plethora of twats who used to just post wanky memes and shitty gifs in response to almost anything seems to have disappeared. 

Actually I can't remember the forum being down for upgrading that much tbh.

I do remember a lot of people moaning and saying it couldn't possibly cost that much to run a forum and demanding figures from Dave then disputing them. Oddly I think the amounts are roughly similar now yet no one is moaning about costs or slagging those who contribute.

Memory is a marvellous thing though so I could be talking total bollocks.

Actually I can't remember the forum being down for upgrading that much tbh.

I do remember a lot of people moaning and saying it couldn't possibly cost that much to run a forum and demanding figures from Dave then disputing them. Oddly I think the amounts are roughly similar now yet no one is moaning about costs or slagging those who contribute.

Memory is a marvellous thing though so I could be talking total bollocks.

Sounds familiar from my time as admin elsewhere

On that site, we never, ever pestered anyone for contributions, in fact the largest bulk came from people giving over money at events/shows etc, we'd hold Barbecues etc that were free but left a jar at the side for people to contribute what they wanted. We also incentivised membership, offering packages that came with Stickers, a mug, calendar etc which helped, we also got the odd donation through the site... people don't really realise just how costly it can be to run something like that (or this), so you'd always get some form of dispute and to be honest, even with donations etc, we were still usually short and admin were clubbing together to cover the shortfall.

But you'd still get folk accusing the site of profiteering, "It can't cost that much", you'd show them exactly how much it cost, they'd accuse you of manipulating it, say "Oh but you get all that money (not having a clue on the actual total) at events, donations, through merch etc without the blindest realisation that we actually have to pay to get merch made in the first place, t shirts, hats, calendars, mugs, stickers, hoodies etc, then pay for food, drink etc for the BBQ to actually get these donations and even if they see £80 in a jar, that isn't £80 profit, it's more like £15. But still, Andy, who'd donated £5 18 months ago would be eye poppingly livid when we'd put up new merch and accusing us of coining it in, as Admin were all backstage trying to scrape together an cover a shortfall for the third year running, contemplating how we could cut costs and keep the lights on another year.

Hmm this could be the route of my shit running issue...

^Aye, that might do it...

As an aside, back when I drove Ka's/Fiesta's I had a bit of a fetish for collecting those Ford coilpacks at scrap yards whenever I was there (They're known to break and will fit in your pocket). I had a collection of good Motorcraft/Beru ones that I listed on Ebay after swearing off any more blue oval stuff, all of which had a 1p start.

Long story short none of them sold and they ended up getting binned around this time last year :(

What's happened to Jo?

She said she was on the verge of a breakdown because of a nuisance neighbour. Haven't seen nor heard from her in over a week.

A few other members had expressed their concerns over the last few days. I have offered my services by PM as a shoulder to cry on if needed.