The grumpy thread

outlaw118

This has been building for a while...

If you're selling a car, FUCKING HOOVER IT! It's shocking how many sell cars / take photos of cars interiors without so much as a shake of the mats and a baby wipe over the dashboard.

I've received cars where the interior is so rancid you could grow mushrooms inside, it makes you wonder what these people live like if they think that is acceptable.

I reckon I could make a living just buying badly prepped cars, cleaning them and then selling for a few quid more. But I'd probably die of dysentery before I made any decent money.

Work have introduced a fancy new expenses system.  Before, when we had to go to London or wherever for meetings, they'd buy the train tickets etc. for us.  Now we are expected to purchase everything ourselves and claim the cost back through expenses.  A bit of a pain, but we were assured that everything would go through and be reimbursed within three working days.

I have a client meeting in London coming up.  I booked my train tickets (not cheap 'cos travelling to London at peak times), then put through the automated expenses form.  Ten days later, still no money.  So I follow it up, and apparently the new system requires that my reimbursement request has to be authorised by my line manager.  With no facility to override that and have it authorised by someone else. 

My line manager is on maternity leave. 

FFS.

Also, the bastarding Audi has failed its bastarding MOT again, so that's another 40 quid down the drain, which I can ill afford at the moment (see above).  All the bits which it failed on last time and which I fixed were OK, but in the meantime the steering rack boot has split.  And because quality* German engineering, it's not a nice friendly universal boot sticking out of the side of the rack assembly in an easily accessible place.  Oh no.  It's a single boot on the end of the rack "ram", where it joins to the two arms which take the steering input to the hubs.  It's right against the bulkhead, with lots of fun stuff in the way like heater pipes, PAS pipe, fuel filter, battery tray...  I can't even see how the boot is held on at one end, or how the assembly is supposed to come apart for the new boot to be fitted.  I can see the other end well enough, but that's barely any help as it's held on by one of those stupid crimp clips which I have to somehow try and uncrimp with almost zero access.

hhhhhhhhhhh

On the plus side you can make it work for you.... find a train ticket site that gives you decent rewards for example. I took out a credit card when I started the job that I just use for expenses and shopping, and my expenses get paid into that account. It's a Sainsburys card, I use Sainsburys diesel, and I book train tickets through Virgin Trains who dish out nectar points. You get double nectar points on Sainsburys fuel and it's paying me a few quid per month. Same with a £120 train ticket, put it on the credit card and you get enough credit for the company to pay it off and you've just earned a few loyalty points / air miles or whatever.

I found it hard to adjust and sometimes get caught out if I go from a travel light month to a heavy one or vice versa as the payments are out of step with the credit card bill, you need a bit of a buffer but it works itself out.

(I was once warned by a previous employer that claiming nectar points on fuel that I then claim back is a taxable benefit! I indicated if they rolled up the receipt really tightly, they could stick it up their arse)

I've been let out of the office to play for the first time in 10 years and needed to book train tickets today oddly! We have to use a company...

So rather than just buying a ticket on the train at Marlow for a return from x, which usually rolls a zone whatever London travel card and a return to marlow in one, I've got to book a full all zone card and a return from Paddington to London.

And their supposed to be 'saving money'

Still, after hearing the expenses fun above I'm not as annoyed cos fuck it, not my money!

Bollocks. Had to take the day off work today. This morning the right side of my kidney felt quite painful this morning, I tried to drive into work but a few miles away from home the pain was getting worse so I turned around and went back home and went to the doctors. Been diagnosed with kidney stones. Oh well, it's better than most other painful stuff.

Gonna chill today and go back in tomorrow. Saved me almost a days worth of fuel.

Oh man up. No, wait. The other one. ;-) 

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/oct/30/simone-biles-world-gymnastics-championship-team-gold-usa-kidney-stone

More seriously, all the best for getting it sorted. Do they FIRE UP THE LASER for these things now?

Police LED light bars, I know they have to be bright. But, fuck me. An X5 went past and it took 12 hours for the doctors to reattatch my retinas.

I very nearly ran over a Policeman last year because of that. I'd been reduced to a crawl by the BLINDING DISCO INFERNO ahead of me anyway, and still almost shat myself when I suddenly noticed the dick standing in the middle of the road. Bring back gentle rotating beacons.

Seriously, how difficult is it to comprehend the fact that when I say "Sorry, that's not for sale." That I'm not interested in selling it.

No, I am not selling the van. Especially for for the £1500 this random of the street who stinks of drink (this was about 1130 this morning) is offering.

*Makes mental note to double up on the usual immobilisation arrangements tonight just in case*

My next door neighbour is a lovely fella. Hasn’t got a piss to pot in, so we look after him like he’s family. His pride and joy is an Isuzu Trooper 3.0D.

It is unimaginably popular with any Celtic blood that should happen to pass. Politely declining any offers didn’t work, firmly declining them also seems to be falling on deaf ears. I’m going to offer to install him a couple of bollards over the winter.

I found a step-by-step illustrated guide to replacing an Audi 80 steering rack boot on one of the Audi forums. Yay!

Clicked on the link, and all the photos are hosted on Photobucket. FFS!!

There is a Firefox extension to fix the links, if the pics are still hosted on photofuckup. I can't remember it's name though

I've found that and installed it and no difference.  The pic placeholders say "photo not found" with an image of a LOLling kitteh - don't know if that's the embedding issue or whether the thread poster has given Photobucket the heave-ho (as many did) and the images therefore genuinely no longer exist.

Feck. Arse. The lot. Firstly GDPR is preventing me from reading a lot of overseas articles but that needn't matter. I bought alarm panel for £16.00 found out the hard way that the transformer was dead. Fitted a new and working one, heard sizzling from the lower corner. 2 out of 4 diodes on the full bridge rectifier have forward biased and died. No wonder why the log is full of watchdog faults. So... This evening I will be mostly kicking myself for buying a 5 kilogram paperweight. The delights of untested one off goods.

Oh man up. No, wait. The other one. ;-)

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/oct/30/simone-biles-world-gymnastics-championship-team-gold-usa-kidney-stone

More seriously, all the best for getting it sorted. Do they FIRE UP THE LASER for these things now?

Thanks DW, I think it's mostly passed now. They only FIRE UP DA LAZER if it's a particularly big one otherwise for me it was 2 massive packets of drowsiness-enducing pain killers. I took a couple of tablets on my day off and felt very drowsy. Still felt light-headed a few hours later.

And still you see people getting in their way, completely oblivious.

No wonder they keep making them brighter & louder.

They all have dashcams, the fuckwitted who don't move should all get charged with careless driving. The video evidence to prove the charge is already there.

True, but the heart attack victim the ambulance was held up heading to is just as dead, dashcam or no dashcam.

True, but after a few months of such cases being common & hitting the news then people would slowly start to wake up & start paying attention.

My grump for the day is wanky payment systems in carparks.

I'm in Leeds all week training & as I can't stand trains, they are always late/cancelled/full of annoying morons I'm driving in. The car park I've been using needs payment via an automated phoneline, great until their payment system breaks & it takes 30mins to pay for the day! I even phoned my bank to confirm it wasn't then declining my cards.

Yes I could pay cash on the machine, but that only does by the hour so it'd cost £18. On the phone is £12.25 for the day. I don't know Leeds so I don't know where else to park & neither google maps nor my sat nav can actually manage to tell the truth for a route in to & out of the centre I'm not looking for somewhere else at this time of the week.