The grumpy thread

outlaw118

An utterly trivial grump, I know, but how in the name of all that's unholy can washing machine manufacturers NOT manage to make their dial lettering impervious to washing liquid?

attachicon.gif20180620_134805.jpg

It's not just this one, the previous machine was every bit as bad. Pour a slap of Formil or whatever cheapo liquid into the drawer, or the stupid little ball dispenser, oops, bit of a drip, give it a quick wipe - oh look, IT'S GONE AND DISSOLVED THE FUCKING LETTERING. Repeat until it's completely illegible, and then accidentally shrink your good suit down so it only fits a Diddyman. Ask me how I know.

attachicon.gif20180620_134812.jpg

I mean, come on chaps - how hard can it actually fucking be?

Lats time I needed a cooker, like fuck was I going to be paying nigh on a grand for a new one so I found a nice stainless finish cooker second hand for a couple of hundred coin. Got it home and gave it a little clean with cillit bang and every single bit of writing around all the knobs immediately fucked off. The gas rings are easy enough to figure out, but the oven control is like a fucking roulette wheel....oven, grill, convection, spinny thing, and fuck knows what other features and of course the temperature....all a total fucking mystery, and of course i cant find any pictures or the instructions or anything online.

re the scrappage video...the whole scheme had fuck all to do with the environment. and everything to do with boosting sales. The fucking least the government could do with that field now is to install a sour faced wanker in a portacabin at the gate and turn it into a massive low-cost breakers yard - using those to keep others on the road is by far the greenest possible outcome at this point.

I'm going to go way over the top here, but this is grumpy old man thread, so I suppose I can make an arse of myself.

Mate of mine was told by the house builders if he changed the locks on his UPVC doors (ridiculously easy job for anyone who can manage lefty loosie, rightie tightie and general concept of lego bricks fitting together) he would invalidate the warranty. I'm not talking about someone fooking something up and claiming it be fixed on warranty, you fook it, you pay is fair enough policy IMHO.

My point is that warranty conditions, building regs (to a point) and general bureaucracy, in essence exists to serve the rule makers whilst inhibiting our personal freedoms. Pressuring us not to take sensible and prudent steps to be self sufficient and take control of our lives. Things fundamental to human dignity and self respect.

In a similar line, governments wank on and on about skills shortages, personal responsibility, back to basics, belt and braces bullshit, but treat people like children. The list of prohibitions grows and grows and the justification is you are too stupid to touch anything, you will fook it, it's too dangerous and you need protecting. Net result the national IQ slips a few points and people become oblivious to the technological world around them. I knew this Russian chap, who said to me the first thing he heard repeatedly when he came to England was "You're not allowed". Made me laugh but pretty much sums it up.

Pretty sure that the house builder's claim to be exempt from the warranty in that case wouldn't stand up in court but the point is that they feel like they can say things like that because most people won't or can't afford to challenge it.  I still speak with loads of people who get their car serviced by main dealers to 'keep the warranty' even though manufacturers have been banned from rejecting claims like that for years.

Couldn't agree more about dumbing down and stopping people thinking for themselves.  AS is one of the few places where people do think for themselves, try to fix stuff and don't buy in to the consumer treadmill - gives me some hope for the future.

Pretty sure that the house builder's claim to be exempt from the warranty in that case wouldn't stand up in court but the point is that they feel like they can say things like that because most people won't or can't afford to challenge it.  I still speak with loads of people who get their car serviced by main dealers to 'keep the warranty' even though manufacturers have been banned from rejecting claims like that for years.

Spot on regarding remaining sceptical  about claims made regarding warranties and exemption.

FUCK THIS HEAT RIGHT IN ITS FUCKING FUCKHOLE

ANYONE SMUGLY DRIPPING EXCESSIVE VERBIAGE OUT OF THEIR SLACK DEAD-EYED FACES ABOUT HOW MUCH THEY ARE LOVING IT IS GOING TO THE FUCKING GULAGS, THE FUCKING CUNTS

Yours,

A fat man.

I'm lovin it.

Yours,

A fat man with good aircon , driving round That London, perving.

Guest Hooli

ANYONE SMUGLY DRIPPING EXCESSIVE VERBIAGE OUT OF THEIR SLACK DEAD-EYED FACES ABOUT HOW MUCH THEY ARE LOVING IT IS GOING TO THE FUCKING GULAGS, THE FUCKING CUNTS

Yours,

A fat man.

I'm not fat but I completely agree. It's fucking horrid outside, I'd much rather 2ft of snow.

I think they want to price people out in order to knock the garages down and make more parking spaces.

I asked a neighbourhood council officer about the possibility of renting out a garage next to an ex council house I was thinking about putting an offer in.

He confirmed that was the plan. As soon as anyone ddefaults they evict. they never relet. and the price is going up at twice the rate of inflation on the rest.

Just had another knock from the police........

Yesterday morning, with minime en route to the local market. Dog in car........ I asked a couple of locals whose it was and where they were, how long the dog was in there. No clues or fucks given.

Only a couple of shops nearby so checked them, nothing known or admitted to.

Gave it 10mins by going to plod 'guarding/minding' the market a few hundred metres away.... less cares or fucks given......

Waited by car another while..... lost it. Forced window....... got dog a drink. Left him with bio shop 15m from the car.

Apparently locals just watching have dobbed me in as owner is apoplectic...... plod was ok though I think once I gave him the full rundown. He's checking with his compadre I spoke to him.

Cue - no recollection and me being made out to be a lying fucker. Luckily munchkin can back me up.

We'll see

The sign on the wall above the urinals in the services says "if you see a dog in a car phone 999 immediately "

Personally. I would video the evidence before smashing the drivers window and taking the dog straight to the RSPCA.

Guest Hooli

I asked a neighbourhood council officer about the possibility of renting out a garage next to an ex council house I was thinking about putting an offer in.

He confirmed that was the plan. As soon as anyone ddefaults they evict. they never relet. and the price is going up at twice the rate of inflation on the rest.

Well you wouldn't think a civil service would provide a service rather than try to invent an imaginary* profit would you?

*they get paid the same n spend it all anyway. It's impossible for a public service to make a profit as they aren't a business.

Just had another knock from the police........

Yesterday morning, with minime en route to the local market. Dog in car........ I asked a couple of locals whose it was and where they were, how long the dog was in there. No clues or fucks given.

Only a couple of shops nearby so checked them, nothing known or admitted to.

Gave it 10mins by going to plod 'guarding/minding' the market a few hundred metres away.... less cares or fucks given......

Waited by car another while..... lost it. Forced window....... got dog a drink. Left him with bio shop 15m from the car.

Apparently locals just watching have dobbed me in as owner is apoplectic...... plod was ok though I think once I gave him the full rundown. He's checking with his compadre I spoke to him.

Cue - no recollection and me being made out to be a lying fucker. Luckily munchkin can back me up.

We'll see

Good work in my book.   Isn't this supposed to be illegal now?  In which case plod response would seem to be fucking dire.   As for the slack-jawed do-nothings - what hope is there for society?

You...yes you in the black Nissan Navara. You didn't notice because you were too busy sending a text, but you were in the wrong lane all the way round that roundabout and you nearly ran a bus, a taxi and me off the road at separate points.

Go away, get off the road and find a painful slow way to die please you bloody inconsiderate idiot.

Hopefully the bus (which had to do an emergency stop) has video of it and will report it (it was a VERY near miss).

Yours,

A fat man.

You probably don't want to know that I cycled home from work today... :D

Everybody moaning about the heat should spend a while in Darwin, Australia, it's quite nice out, the country just isn't used to it.

I have, you can keep it.

En route to Darwin I had a three day layover in Penang; flew into Kuala Lumpur at 3am, decided that I had had enough of recycled air and that I should go outside for some fresh air.

I got ten paces from the door before I realised that a borderer leaving a heavily air conditioned airport at 3am when it's 37°c and 100% humidity outside is roughly akin to trying to breathe soup.

Don’t really know what you’re moaning about, tbh. I’ve just been all over Scotland trying to get a grass cutter from B&Q for The Proclaimers.

Bathgate, no mower. Linwood, no mower. Irvine, no mower.

Blah blah blah new brake calliper

So the new brake calliper arrived in time and I fitted it yesterday.  No issues there, took for MOT this morning.

Failed on broken front coil spring and leaking rear shock absorbers.  Not ideal, because I have done a front coil spring on a Mk3 Mondeo before and it was fking scary.  Also a shite load of advisories about new tyres (I know it needs two on the back but apparently the fronts are worn too)  Wondering whether it is worth it.