The grumpy thread

outlaw118

My Land Rover is ill, it has been with the garage for nearly a month now with what at first seemed to be just a faulty condenser. It was running again but was diagnosed that it had a rattly timing chain and probably a leaky valve. The head has now been taken off and I'm advised that it is losing oil into the sump when poured in the bores, losing it fast on number 2 cylinder slower on 1 and three, only holding on number 4.

It looks like I need to either:

Slap it back together and run on a dodgy engine.

Swap the engine for a second hand unknown TDI

Swap the engine for an unknown second hand petrol

Have my engine rebuilt.

Buy an exchange engine

Or buy one of the very few brand new short engines still out there.

I'm only looking at the last three options, I really want to keep it long term, but these options are going to be somewhere between £1500 and £2500. Luckily I can afford it as I'm working at the moment, but I'm just a bit pissed off as it's taken a month to get to this point, so no doubt even if I decide tomorrow, it's going to be another couple of weeks before I get it back.

This lot are worth a look.

https://www.automotivecomp.com

I finish an HNC in a fortnight and have to write a program in C#.

The sum total of the teaching I've had on this is how to write two loops and weeks of the tutor going on the wildest tangents and talking about his personal life to the point I gave up turning up to the lectures weeks ago because it's literally a waste of three hours of my life.

This is compounded by the world's most inept builder finishing my new house SEVEN MONTHS late and me having to sleep where I can since December.

I finally got the keys last week so somehow have to move all my shit in, lay flooring, and learn C# in the next week or so.

I have absolutely no interest in programming which doesn't help. Fuck programming, it's boring, tedious shit.

Does anyone know what happens if you fail an HNC unit? My college literally will not tell me, despite being asked outright many times. Annoyingly I have got distinction in the other units, hence being awake at 3am stressing over potentially pissing 8 grand and a shitload of time up the wall.

I made the mistake of driving to Durham on the M6 - A66 via the A605 , didn't know appleby horse fair was on ,the road between Kirkby Stephen and the A66 for the whole length had caravans and horses on it , what should have taken 3-4 minutes took over 30 because they were trotting the horses at 10mph with their usual couldn't give a fuck attitude.

Still without a phone line at work.Been like this since noon on monday. Useless twats at XLN said they would put a call divert to my mobile.This never happened.Was scheduled for an engineer yesterday.This never happened.I stayed until 7.30pm for nothing.Without a phone line I haven't got an internet connection so effectively been unable to work.

XLN for small business what a bunch of useless twats.

Guest Hooli

I made the mistake of driving to Durham on the M6 - A66 via the A605 , didn't know appleby horse fair was on ,the road between Kirkby Stephen and the A66 for the whole length had caravans and horses on it , what should have taken 3-4 minutes took over 30 because they were trotting the horses at 10mph with their usual couldn't give a fuck attitude.

Oh bollocks is that this weekend?

*reroutes this afternoon's plan to A68/A69 rather than A66*

Guest Hooli

I saw the signs last time I went though, but had totally forgot till I saw Wack's post. Cheers for the reminder both.

I finish an HNC in a fortnight and have to write a program in C#.

The sum total of the teaching I've had on this is how to write two loops and weeks of the tutor going on the wildest tangents and talking about his personal life to the point I gave up turning up to the lectures weeks ago because it's literally a waste of three hours of my life.

This is compounded by the world's most inept builder finishing my new house SEVEN MONTHS late and me having to sleep where I can since December.

I finally got the keys last week so somehow have to move all my shit in, lay flooring, and learn C# in the next week or so.

I've dropped you a PM.

I have absolutely no interest in programming which doesn't help. Fuck programming, it's boring, tedious shit.

Sounds like you've just had a really bad tutor. It might not seem it at this stage but it's a very creative, problem solving past time. Pays pretty decently too and a steady supply of jobs for those that have experience. Unfortunately it's tough to get that initial experience and rung on the ladder, unless you're 21-ish and just left university with a computer science based degree.

So I maintain the digital archive of all our DVDs, Blu-rays etc.

Just transcoding some we recently bought to throw on the network, and have been waiting about 15 minutes to get to the point I can start this one going...

attachicon.gifIMG_20180606_113351.jpg

WHAT POSSIBLE REASON can there be for setting the disc structure up in such a way that there are more than 400 titles on the blasted thing?!?

Usually this is a case of click "scan" wait 30 seconds, double check settings, type in the metadata, click "go" then ignore it for a few hours. The tendency for a Blu-ray to have stupid disc structures makes that first bit annoyingly slow...

Yeah, I know...First World Problems...

What software do you use to rip them?

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Guest Hooli

I've dropped you a PM.

Sounds like you've just had a really bad tutor. It might not seem it at this stage but it's a very creative, problem solving past time. Pays pretty decently too and a steady supply of jobs for those that have experience. Unfortunately it's tough to get that initial experience and rung on the ladder, unless you're 21-ish and just left university with a computer science based degree.

Aye that.

Programming was the most interesting part of my college course years ago, C was like an adult's version of Pascal that we used earlier on. Never had a job doing it though.

well, the wife has decided I'm no good anymore... shit husband, shit dad. 

I'm obviously no good at juggling a business, full time work and a family.

Obviously not cut out for this!!!!!!

Ill be moving out tonight it seems - no where to go like. Good job I have an estate car eh.

Fuck sake.

Over and out.

Ill be moving out tonight it seems - no where to go like. Good job I have an estate car eh.

Fuck sake.

Over and out.

Sorry to hear that!

Keep the heid, and give this info from Shelter a look through - there are services that can help.

http://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/homelessness/guide/homeless_get_help_from_the_council/how_the_council_can_help

Is it just me? ( I am for once, prepared to be told it is).

Went for lunch with my Girlfriend and daughter to a farm shop/cafe.  Chose a table outside as it's nice weather.  After we sat down I notice two powerfully built company directors huddled over a laptop.  Geoff's progress on the network issues is apparently good, but there are some other things that need addressing going forward etc.- yep, they are having a loud conference call at their table in the full sight and hearing of the whole yard.

I regard this as rude and arrogant in the extreme - if I wanted to be included in your fooking business meetings, I'd come and sit in your fooking office!

But maybe I am just getting old an grumpy.

If the other two hadn't been there, I'd have sat down at their table - since they obviously felt everyone should be included in their fucking business. 

I hear you.

I used to fly on business 3-4 times a month and the amount of utter pricks that sit at the airport constantly making unnecessary phone calls the entire time - of course, always stating 'I am at the airport'.

Guest Hooli

Fuck sake.

Over and out.

Shit news dude. You might as well come to shitefest now....

Fuck sake.

Over and out.

Never a good situation, and the children may well suffer now. I wonder if she's spotted a new model that she aimed to trade you in for?

Never a good situation, and the children may well suffer now. I wonder if she's spotted a new model that she aimed to trade you in for?

Nope, 

I'm the shit cunt for not prioritising my time, like its a piece of piss to run a business and do a full time job as well as juggle family life, and deal with every fucker else problems!

Yeh, my kids are only very young!

Interesting morning at work.

One of our buildings lost connection at about quarter past nine last night. We tested the fibre optic to it, no light. Hmm.

Turns out it's been cut. Some do-as-you-likeys have kicked open an electrical box at the back of another building in a search for copper, then while chopping through stuff, they chopped through the fibre. There's a three foot section of it sitting on the ground next to the electrical box.

CUNTS.

post-19977-0-31202700-1528368718_thumb.jpg

Contractors have been called, as have the polis (as if they'll do much) because it's quite obviously criminal damage.

Oops indeed!

Openreach were really suffering with it: the copper cables were mostly redundant and had just been left underground with the new fibre cables on top, but the scrotes had to cut through the fibre lines to get to the copper.

Railway signal lines, too - I just cannot get my head around the mentality of someone who would do something so dangerous for the sake of a couple of quid. Scrap was never *that* valuable.

Oops indeed!

Openreach were really suffering with it: the copper cables were mostly redundant and had just been left underground with the new fibre cables on top, but the scrotes had to cut through the fibre lines to get to the copper.

Railway signal lines, too - I just cannot get my head around the mentality of someone who would do something so dangerous for the sake of a couple of quid. Scrap was never *that* valuable.

Scum bags

My dad used to work for the electricity board back in the 80's and cable theft was common then. They went out to a couple of memorable ones. The first they used a bulldozer to rip out a couple of hundred yards of underground cable. The second one they tried to nick some overhead live line. There was an imprint of a body on the ground but that was it. Talking of scrap getting nicked back in the 90's a mate of mine was house sitting a large estate and one weekend someone cut up and pinched a D8 Caterpillar, all they left was the cab.

Oops indeed!

I seem to remember several times a few years when they removed live power cable and cut off loads of customers, more than one managed to fry themselves by cutting live electric cables in sub stations. If you are that stupid you deserve everything coming to you.

I know that Openreach replaced one section of copper cable near here at least 5 times as each time it was renewed it was stolen again and taking the same section of cable again was often what happened as it was even easier to remove a new cable than the old one.

I seem to remember several times a few years when they removed live power cable and cut off loads of customers, more than one managed to fry themselves by cutting live electric cables in sub stations. If you are that stupid you deserve everything coming to you.

I know that Openreach replaced one section of copper cable near here at least 5 times as each time it was renewed it was stolen again and taking the same section of cable again was often what happened as it was even easier to remove a new cable than the old one.

I have heard reports of cable being tied to backs of cars and ripped out of the ground here in Hull. 

Scrap is always valuable when it is free*.

In a previous job I used to deal with demolitions, one building was full of insulation that had been stripped off cables (probably the street lighting cable that had been pinched out of the ducts on the industrial estate) there were also loads of candles that they had obviously worked by (well the cable theft had tripped out all the electrics) another disused building had been filled with old tyres which would have cost a fortune to dispose of legally, fortunately vandals set fire to the lot so the insurance paid to clear the site

Fuck sake.

Over and out.

Bugger. Hope you can sort out some digs.

Where in the country are you?

Fuck sake.

Over and out.

Sorry to hear that.... Got anywhere to go? Mates, family?

Get your arse to shitefest. It's a few days of taking your mind off it. If you're passing Loughborough I've got a tent you can borrow and there's some fuel money if you need it too.

I found myself once walking down the street with two shopping bags of "get your stuff and get out". I chose a couple of days of clothes, my PS3 and hifi, laptop etc. Thankfully my mum lived a short taxi ride away.

Stick it on the Cats topic.

Lots of cat lovers on there.

I just hate cats in general, so I doubt I'll be posting in the cats thread! At least these ones aren't the top priority in the other half's life unlike a couple of exes.

Fuck sake.

Over and out.

Sorry for your news CPJ, always a shitter when you get asked to move out, been there it sucks.

Some bastard has put a couple of small dents and a mark on my Vectra’s rear wing. Nothing major, but oissed me off, even if it is an old (to some) car.

It’s Sod’s law I took a picture of the car parked on the other side* as they were a bit close, but clearly they got out ok.

*I’d parked up with nobody either side, then went back to car to put something in the boot.