The grumpy thread

outlaw118

And I must say you should probably have the case off and give them a clean out every year or so if their clogging up enough to start overheating... A nice cpu re-paste every few years would help too. Otherwise a fresh reinstall will do nothing, as soon as you start using it again up go the temperatures. Some of the crap I pulled out of the fans of my retro thinkpads was amazing, I was amazed they even ran at all!

Ah -sorry.  I meant a clean install of Windows, minus ALL THE FUCKING BLOATWARE. (!)

Ah -sorry. I meant a clean install of Windows, minus ALL THE FUCKING BLOATWARE. (!)

Ah well that's understandable! That always helps loads! I helped a friend rebuild his Dell with fresh virgin windows after the dell driver update program pulled down an incorrect graphics driver and caused the thing to not boot! Even windows 10 needs a nice 20 minutes of stripping out before its nice!

I have windows 2000 on one of the thinkpads, it's a lovely place to escape to! As long as I stay away from YouTube and other such places, stupid modern internet

Fucking twat! Went to pick up the now fixed Frontera seat and just as I got it home it slid in the back of the Fiesta and damaged the inside grey side panel.

Split the plastic and pulled a bit of the paper stuff it's made of out. No idea if it can be fixed and of course now scene taxed to death if I want another.

Only good thing is it saved it from hitting the window. Still my fault it wasn't wedged in right.

Woman behind the counter in my bank (seemed distinctly annoyed a pesky customer had turned up - and believe me if I could have done this online, I would).  

"I can't hear you" (with any annoyed accusatory face as if it's my fault).

me

"Okay, well I'm not really sure what I can do about that" (she is sitting behind a glass panel and there are microphones both sides).

There didn't seem to be any controls on my side and I was talking close to the microphone in a normal voice.

Dollop. It started to misfire as I was taking the dogs to the park, only a few hundred yards to go so carried on and parked. Misfire cleared with a few revs (over a 1000 - low revving these things) and as I pulled in I noticed the temp gauge was higher than normal (not too high though). When I went back to it, no start, no turn over! Feels like hydraulic locked.

I think the head gaskets have gone :(

It had developed a few very slight symptoms over the last few days:  Lumpy at idle, started badly the day before when parked in the same place, exhaust unusually clean. If it is the head gaskets, I'm looking at 4-5 grand for the repair! Which, guess what, I ain't got! The AA man that turned up first and pulled it out of its parking spot and down to the road so a low loader could rescue it was a star, really nice guy. Sat in the car for another hour or so and a stranger from a house over the road came out and asked myself and the dogs in for a coffee! We took him up on it straight away. Bought this huge hotel and is converting it to flats and houses. Never has a coffee (black as the milk was off) tasted so good.

It was bloody freezing, raining and miserable. The low loader guy was a right miserable sod and I think it was when he put it on the ramp that the bumper got damaged, that really pissed me off.

Anyone got a car I can borrow?

Getting frustrated with my Watanabes buyer. 

He's taking days to respond to messages and I need the money for them pronto. I am getting squeezed and he just isn't taking this seriously. 

He was first in the queue but now a local bloke is desperate for them, wants to collect tonight and wants to bring cash. 

At what point do I cut this first bloke loose? He's already tried to offer me [not enough] cash, then bid the auction low, then taken ages to respond, then offered me enough cash, then dragged the collection out, and taken ages to respond to messages. 

I'm tempted to say 'we arranged it, but my circumstances changed, you were taking ages to respond, I needed the cash and a bloke offered next day collection with instant readies'. 

Sounds twatty but the money ain't in my hand, and I need the money. I've bent over backwards to help this first bloke, even offered to take them to Japfest, but he won't confirm either way; all he's confirmed is that he wants to collect in two weeks' time. 

I need to hurry this along now. I've tried to be pleasant and accommodating but it's getting me nowhere. 

Getting frustrated with my Watanabes buyer. 

He's taking days to respond to messages and I need the money for them pronto. I am getting squeezed and he just isn't taking this seriously. 

He was first in the queue but now a local bloke is desperate for them, wants to collect tonight and wants to bring cash. 

At what point do I cut this first bloke loose? He's already tried to offer me [not enough] cash, then bid the auction low, then taken ages to respond, then offered me enough cash, then dragged the collection out, and taken ages to respond to messages. 

I'm tempted to say 'we arranged it, but my circumstances changed, you were taking ages to respond, I needed the cash and a bloke offered next day collection with instant readies'. 

Sounds twatty but the money ain't in my hand, and I need the money. I've bent over backwards to help this first bloke, even offered to take them to Japfest, but he won't confirm either way; all he's confirmed is that he wants to collect in two weeks' time. 

I need to hurry this along now. I've tried to be pleasant and accommodating but it's getting me nowhere. 

He hasn't given you the money and he's faffing around?

Sod it.  Cut him loose.  You might feel like a twat but he's not exactly covering himself in glory.

I might be a cold-hearted bastard.  Feel free to say so.

The wheels didn't meet reserve. 

He asked what the reserve was, but didn't want to pay it the first time around.

The auction ended, and he decided to offer me reserve. He then started responding to messages a day apart. 

In the meantime local bloke has been asking and asking and asking.

Bloke 1 has until midnight, then he's struck off. Sick of messaging; I realise people are busy but if I buy something I keep people fucking well informed, especially if they're willing to take a hammering to do a deal outside eBay. 

(Modern content, ignore if you want.)

Fucking shit start to my week - my Focus has its annual service on Monday morning, local mobile mechanic arrives and can't get the bonnet open.  "That's strange" I think, having only opened it to check fluids before a long journey last week.  Turns out that something in the bonnet lock has busted, and he has to cut the front grille off the car to gain access to it!  With my car now toothless he starts servicing it, and discovers that all four tyres have cracking in the treads - they are less than 18 months old, and are not a budget brand.  Couple this with it also needing new brakes (which I was anticipating) and I was rather pissed off.

New brakes were fitted and I set off to a job, and of course every pedestrian decides to allow me to test said new brakes by blindly walking out in front of me.  I then get the news that a friend in America has been hit head-on by a drunk driver and is very smashed up in hospital. :'(

Couple this with having my work schedule fucked around as usual so I cannot be in all the places I need to, and this week can just piss off.

Dollop. It started to misfire as I was taking the dogs to the park, only a few hundred yards to go so carried on and parked. Misfire cleared with a few revs (over a 1000 - low revving these things) and as I pulled in I noticed the temp gauge was higher than normal (not too high though). When I went back to it, no start, no turn over! Feels like hydraulic locked.

It had developed a few very slight symptoms over the last few days:  Lumpy at idle, started badly the day before when parked in the same place, exhaust unusually clean. If it is the head gaskets, I'm looking at 4-5 grand for the repair! 

I understand that 5K is about the going rate for a Brooklands bumper these days.....Judging by what I pay the AA I reckon my 25 years membership has bought yours!

The wheels didn't meet reserve. 

He asked what the reserve was, but didn't want to pay it the first time around.

The auction ended, and he decided to offer me reserve. He then started responding to messages a day apart. 

In the meantime local bloke has been asking and asking and asking.

Bloke 1 has until midnight, then he's struck off. Sick of messaging; I realise people are busy but if I buy something I keep people fucking well informed, especially if they're willing to take a hammering to do a deal outside eBay. 

aint sold till the cash is in your hand,tis why i never take an advert down till its gone

Guest Hooli

It had developed a few very slight symptoms over the last few days:  Lumpy at idle, started badly the day before when parked in the same place, exhaust unusually clean. If it is the head gaskets, I'm looking at 4-5 grand for the repair! Which, guess what, I ain't got! The AA man that turned up first and pulled it out of its parking spot and down to the road so a low loader could rescue it was a star, really nice guy. Sat in the car for another hour or so and a stranger from a house over the road came out and asked myself and the dogs in for a coffee! We took him up on it straight away. Bought this huge hotel and is converting it to flats and houses. Never has a coffee (black as the milk was off) tasted so good.

It was bloody freezing, raining and miserable. The low loader guy was a right miserable sod and I think it was when he put it on the ramp that the bumper got damaged, that really pissed me off.

Anyone got a car I can borrow?

Ouch that's really not good news, are these known for it at all?

Here's hoping the AA fess up & fix the bumper at least.

aint sold till the cash is in your hand,tis why i never take an advert down till its gone

Yeah this basically, Its a shame but you have to be militant about it due to the sheer number of timewasters.  I was being dicked around on a car sale by a non paying bidder on ebay, he had paid a deposit but then gone radio silence.  Meanwhile I had another guy contacting me daily wanting to buy it.  I sold it to the other guy. 

The first guy never did get back in contact, if he had, and had been reasonable and upfront about it, I would have probably given him his deposit back - as it is, sod him, a £100 lesson in not bidding on something you don't intend on buying.

Ouch that's really not good news, are these known for it at all?

Here's hoping the AA fess up & fix the bumper at least.

A quick google does show HGF to be very common on the turbo from about 50,000miles. The kit from flyingspares is £1000 alone!

A quick google does show HGF to be very common on the turbo from about 50,000miles. The kit from flyingspares is £1000 alone!

Funny, we had an 'enthusiast' ring up ABSOLUTELY AND COMPLETELY ADAMANT that 6.75-litre Bentley Turbo engines DID NOT EVER BLOW HEAD GASKETS under ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, EVER in THEIR EXPERIENCE and we were WRONG, WRONG, EGREGIOUSLY, VIOLENTLY AND COMPLETELY WRONG to even think that, let alone print it. 

TL:DR - they were unhappy with an article a contributor had written and decided that the best way to remedy it was to shout at my colleague down the phone for five minutes. 

Sell them to the local guy Jon.

Parcelforce 'attempted delivery' of my package this morning.

No they didn't, 3 people are in.

Likely explanation: they went to xxx street that joins on to the end of this road, instead of XXX avenue where I live. Same bloody name and different finishers. Separate streets and postcodes.

Fucking stupid 1960s planners there.

The council are too cheap to put up any signs too, out of a possible four there is one, and there's always a car in front of that one.