The grumpy thread

outlaw118

Indian Air Mail

I ordered a new dizzy for the Wizzkid as they still make them in India for Suzuki Carry vans. You can get brand new F10A create engines in China, strange world.

Anyway the man on the bay of E, passes the package to the Indian post office on April the 4th, ( I know this as that's when I got the ref number for tracking), they take 5 days to get it to the airport.

God knows how long before it actually is going to get on a plane.

Hurry up India, I want to get some sparks in my motor.

I ordered some parts for my guitar build from China, I paid extra to have them sent airmail. The time between them leaving China on a plane and landing at Heathrow was 19 day’s according to the tracking. Didn’t realise they could go via the moon.

My little boy is undergoing assessment for autism (Which I completely accept). He's 3 and can't speak much other than asking for a drink/food/activity using single word requests and he's been held back with the younger group at nursery.

As I dropped him off today and said bye to him, as usual he said nothing, meanwhile the rest of his group (All younger) join in a loud chorus of cheerful goodbyes.

FFS, proper early morning crippler/kick in the teeth :(

I think I have just incurred the wrath of Parking Wardens. Popped to nearby Upminster as had a couple of small cheques to put into Parkettes account. The only place you can realistically park is Aldi where you have 30 minutes free.

Parked up and went to the Bank. I was in and out quickly and back at the car 12 minutes after parking (yes, I did time it). When I arrived back, I saw a traffic warden walking about, at one point appearing to be looking at my car but I thought nothing of it as I hadn't been there for long. It was only as I left the car park I noticed the sign saying "To get 30 minutes free parking please ensure you obtain your ticket from the machine".

Shit. I hadn't done that. So despite being there 12 minutes I suspect I am about to be fined £40 for not putting the free ticket on my dash.

I would have thought a sign on the WAY IN to the car park highlighting this fact would have made more sense than one at the exit but pointless arguing it. Basically the parking fine is more than the value of the cheques so that was a total bloody shambles

I think I have just incurred the wrath of Parking Wardens. Popped to nearby Upminster as had a couple of small cheques to put into Parkettes account. The only place you can realistically park is Aldi where you have 30 minutes free.

Parked up and went to the Bank. I was in and out quickly and back at the car 12 minutes after parking (yes, I did time it). When I arrived back, I saw a traffic warden walking about, at one point appearing to be looking at my car but I thought nothing of it as I hadn't been there for long. It was only as I left the car park I noticed the sign saying "To get 30 minutes free parking please ensure you obtain your ticket from the machine".

Shit. I hadn't done that. So despite being there 12 minutes I suspect I am about to be fined £40 for not putting the free ticket on my dash.

I would have thought a sign on the WAY IN to the car park highlighting this fact would have made more sense than one at the exit but pointless arguing it. Basically the parking fine is more than the value of the cheques so that was a total bloody shambles

Bastards. 

This totally negates the argument* that "they" only care about the car park not being abused. 

Bullshite, they are thieves, this is purely a money-making exercise.   At our local Aldi they don't even employ wardens - just somebody on a CCTV 400 miles away checking loads of other car parks.   

Rules are rules and I have no problem with that. It just annoys me that I stuck to the 30 minute rule, but fell foul of the ticket on the dash bit. So I have stuck to the important bit (not blocking a space in the car park) but am about to get hammered for overlooking some admin.

Car park was practically empty too so it's not as if I have prevented an Aldi customer getting their groceries. Ah well, roll with the punches, etc.

Guest Hooli

Makes sense so they know when your 30mins started, totally agree on the sign being in the wrong place though.

All modernz are rubbish, part 7236.

Turns out my car doesn't actually have a switched live on the stereo loom, there's some sort of Canbus chicanery which turns it ooff if it thinks it appropriate, so to fit an aftermarket stereo you have to find a switched feed somewhere else. Not a big issue really, but it should have been a five minute job. 

Turns out my car doesn't actually have a switched live on the stereo loom, there's some sort of Canbus chicanery which turns it ooff if it thinks it appropriate, so to for an aftermarket stereo you have to find a switched feed somewhere else. Not a big issue really, but it should have been a five minute job.

The Zafira B does this. Luckily there's 10 million posts saying to find the one switched live in the entire cabin that controls the led fag lighter feed for the optional smokers pack, taped inside the loom under the centre console. Might be worth a Google?

Turns out my car doesn't actually have a switched live on the stereo loom, there's some sort of Canbus chicanery which turns it ooff if it thinks it appropriate, so to for an aftermarket stereo you have to find a switched feed somewhere else. Not a big issue really, but it should have been a five minute job. 

You can buy an adapter box from ebay (or a proper shop) that will either read the canbus or simulate a switched ignition feed by detecting the voltage drop on start/stops.

I needed a switched live for the amplified dab aeriel in my caddy van. Again canbus like yours.

I took mine from one of the wires on the rear of the heater dials/control, as they only work with the ignition on.

Yes they do, and the fuckers know when they are due for sale/scrap too and start acting the goat.

This happened with my previous car - EVERY time I even vaguely mentioned I was thinking of replacing it something would go wrong with it.  Then the day I dropped it off with its new owner, within a few hours I had an epileptic seizure (having had no previous ones or any history of similar problems) and had my driving licence taken away for a year.  Yes that's right, my car got revenge on me for selling it by preventing me from driving anything else.

As far as I know it is still on the road, so I'd better not say too much...

I needed a switched live for the amplified dab aeriel in my caddy van. Again canbus like yours.

I took mine from one of the wires on the rear of the heater dials/control, as they only work with the ignition on.

As mentioned - there are adaptor boxes available - but I forgot to say you can also buy a piggy back fuse thingy which plugs into the fuse box in place of a fuse - you just find a fuse with an ignition/accessory feed.

Taking a feed from somewhere else can be tricky - some canbus systems monitor current flow and get upset when extra is being taken from some circuits.

As mentioned - there are adaptor boxes available - but I forgot to say you can also buy a piggy back fuse thingy which plugs into the fuse box in place of a fuse - you just find a fuse with an ignition/accessory feed.

Taking a feed from somewhere else can be tricky - some canbus systems monitor current flow and get upset when extra is being taken from some circuits.

Just offering an alternative solution to the problem. I could have taken a feed from the fuse box but am keen on messing with fuse box's. I ran an inline fuse from the cable to the heater motor switch, and only needed minimal power, looking at the gauge of the cable to the heater switch it should be ok.

Brains Faggots. Memory of them being meaty, solid and yummy with a nice bit of gravy. 

Today's reality. Onion tasting, slightly wobbly, smaller. West Country sauce..... minimal.

Sigh.

At least I can eat them without feeling like I am about to die. 

I ordered some parts for my guitar build from China, I paid extra to have them sent airmail. The time between them leaving China on a plane and landing at Heathrow was 19 day’s according to the tracking. Didn’t realise they could go via the moon.

I may not be grumpy for long

post-17488-0-32263800-1523561015_thumb.jpg

Guest Hooli

Brains Faggots. Memory of them being meaty, solid and yummy with a nice bit of gravy. 

Today's reality. Onion tasting, slightly wobbly, smaller. West Country sauce..... minimal.

Sigh.

At least I can eat them without feeling like I am about to die. 

Do they still come frozen in foil trays with a cardboard lid that soaked into the gravy before freezing?

attachicon.gif2018-04-11 18.18.10.jpg

Finally the mrs's auto fiat 500 let us down.

Stuck in 3rd on the A64, pulled over and then it wouldn't restart because it was stuck in reverse.

Called the AA, they were actually great.

At my request they just dragged it up onto the wagon in gear, then took us 50 miles home.

Still stuck in reverse, he winched me back down off the truck. Halfway down it bump started itself, dropped into neutral and it's working fine, apart from loads of flashing lights on the dash etc etc

I got my knockoff DS150 on this today to see what the fault was, after checking there was oil in the gearbox controller hydraulics.

So, the car stuck in 3rd gear at 40mph. When parked up, it put itself in reverse, then refused to start. Flashing "oil can" light on the dash, messages saying "check transmission" etc.

I'm getting ready to take the selespeed unit off the gearbox and send it off for a £500 recon.

The real fault? BRAKE. LIGHT. SWITCH.

The brake light switch which is actually located in the PASSENGER footwell. The brake light switch which I must have kicked the connector off of at some point in the journey.

Really does illustrate how important it is to diagnose a fault properly on a newer motor.

You wait for your dream motor to come along, then three appear at once.

I want to buy Eddy's Caddy, that MG260 and the Hymer motorhome.  They are all around the 6k mark - needless to say, I don't have a spare 18K.

I'm sure some arrangement can be reached for at least one of the above ;)

Hopefully your data can be saved, and perhaps a few spare parts.... 

Screen is toast as is the casing but I hooked it up to the telly and it works ok, just quite slow... Maybe it got brain damage? Moved all my stuff onto usb memory sticks, reset everything and now I.T can have it back because... 'erm.. there iz sumfink rong wiv it m9'.

I set it down against the back wheel, then a stupid client* collared me and I walked around to the driver's side to talk. After having my mind totally numbed I just got in and reversed off the drive... Thought I ran over a dog or somefingk?