The grumpy thread

outlaw118

"It's because I'm a woman, isn't it?"

No, it's because you're fucking shit. You know, like how a bloke can be fucking shit. Like the same way I'd tell a bloke he was fucking shit if he was fucking shit. 

Hope that clears things up, cheers. 

Nice trip to Ellesmere Port today.

Take the MiL to the opticians, wonder round a few shops then dinner in the market cafe.

Lovely.

Got there at 10am and was just finishing dinner at around 12pm when the missus went in her bag to give me a cash card to pop to the bank to put some money in when I spotted her blue badges in her bag.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

We've been parked for 2 hours without them in the car.

I hot foot it up to the car to confirm the inevitable.

Yep, £70 ticket on the car done 1/2 hour after we parked up.

Of course it was my fault for rushing her out of the car when her scooter was getting wet when she was putting lipstick on!!

Had a bloke turn up with a VW Crafter van. His pad warning light was on so he asked if I could do pads on it. As I had nowt to do today I took it on, big mistake !!. The discs were shagged as well and he said if I could do it for £150 he would have it done. It looked easy enough until it came to getting the discs off. What a fucking nightmare !! I had to get the plasma cutter out as they had rusted on so tight. I won't be doing one of them again in a hurry. I made about 30 quid out of the whole job which was still better than nothing.

post-5515-0-80820000-1501606285_thumb.jpg

Had a bloke turn up with a VW Crafter van. His pad warning light was on so he asked if I could do pads on it. As I had nowt to do today I took it on, big mistake !!. The discs were shagged as well and he said if I could do it for £150 he would have it done. It looked easy enough until it came to getting the discs off. What a fucking nightmare !! I had to get the plasma cutter out as they had rusted on so tight. I won't be doing one of them again in a hurry. I made about 30 quid out of the whole job which was still better than nothing.

001.JPG

"Oh fuck it I'm quiet so it's easy money" jobs are the worst ever. Every. Single. Time.

I know this isn't the place and all that, but it's just been confirmed my wife's sister has incurable cancer. Keeping it off social media for now until we've reached all the family. 

Just seen this, Billy.  You have my sympathies.  All I can do is wish all of you the best remaining time you can have.  Which obviously I do.

this is the same for internal and external drives, they can and do just fail without warning. 

Best thing to do Eddy is create a dropbox account and store important stuff on that. 

https://db.tt/eynShtdb

Or use Google Drive

If you've only got small files it'll be ideal. 

I've uninstalled it, re-installed it, troubleshot it.... still it doesn't show up when I go to, for example, add a photo to a post.  It appears in the list in Device Manager, but there doesn't appear to be a way to access the contents. 

I thought I was doing the right thing buying an external HD to store my working-files.  Now it seems I was totally wrong because the fucking thing is keeping them prisoner!

Drop box?  Google drive?  I'm chest-deep in a swamp here, it's midnight, raining and foggy, and you're sending me to the shops?

Following the destruction of two pairs of glasses last year due to clumsiness / being a magnet for anything flying or inanimate, in September I purchased some Titanium "unbreakable" specs at great cost...Fuckers snapped last night... I did get a replacement frame under warranty but that is not the point.... fucking Chinese titanium no doubt... 

I've uninstalled it, re-installed it, troubleshot it.... still it doesn't show up when I go to, for example, add a photo to a post. It appears in the list in Device Manager, but there doesn't appear to be a way to access the contents.

I thought I was doing the right thing buying an external HD to store my working-files. Now it seems I was totally wrong because the fucking thing is keeping them prisoner!

Drop box? Google drive? I'm chest-deep in a swamp here, it's midnight, raining and foggy, and you're sending me to the shops?

This is going to sound really stupid but, have you listened closely to the drive when you've first plugged it in? If there's a repeating sequence of whirring and clicking sounds over a period of about 30s before the drive is listed in device manager/my computer, I'm betting the head is stuck over the disk and cannot return to its 'home' position. When this happens, the drive cannot be initialised and read by the PC. You have a choice here - pay someone about 400quid to open it up in a clean room and get the head back to the home position, then to get all your data off it sharpish OR

Do it yourself, carefully, keeping it as clean as you can, according to this guy's video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Y7BniaRXg

I've done this for two unreadable drives and been successful both times - but the important thing is GET ANOTHER DRIVE FIRST, TO COPY YOUR DATA ON TO.

(Sorry for the shouting)

DON'T do like my brother did and think you'll be able to repeat the process a second time, when you have got a new drive ready.

Any questions, shout

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

I haven't noticed the series of sounds you describe, but then I haven't been listening for them. I'll try that tomorrow (not on that comp at the moment). Thank you.

They're usually not loud - only audible when you're very close to the drive or it is resting on something that resonates with the noises.

I've uninstalled it, re-installed it, troubleshot it.... still it doesn't show up when I go to, for example, add a photo to a post. It appears in the list in Device Manager, but there doesn't appear to be a way to access the contents.

I thought I was doing the right thing buying an external HD to store my working-files. Now it seems I was totally wrong because the fucking thing is keeping them prisoner!

Drop box? Google drive? I'm chest-deep in a swamp here, it's midnight, raining and foggy, and you're sending me to the shops?

I had the same symptoms when I tried to resurrect an old SATA drive I had kicking about; showed In device manager but not in Windows Explorer. Managed to get into it using various drive format and corrupted disc tools I found online but nearly all the files I got off of it were junk.

They're usually not loud - only audible when you're very close to the drive or it is resting on something that resonates with the noises.

It does make a bunch of clicking noises.  I held it in my hand close enough to hear, and could feel something whirring (silently) accompanied by clicking as if something was trying to complete an action, but failing.  Maybe I'd better have a look at that vid!

I made a comment that dugong has depression and that a trip to the doctor would help.

We've had a million threads on this misdiagnosed and misunderstood ailment on this forum for years

Half the people on here are suffering from it

My post merely meant

"don't suffer, get help"

I stand by that comment

What's the problem?

The problem is Michael is that it didn't sound as you had intended. It came across more like an insult.

Sometimes a joke or a light bit of banter might sound funny to an individual person but in writing it might come across completely different. It's happened to me before and vice-versa etc and so on...

As cobblers says let's leave it at that.