The grumpy thread

outlaw118

thanks! after some reading, I think bits of the shredded aux belt have got under the cambelt and made it jump a tooth. how tricky is it to have the cambelt off, clean everything up and refit it?

vulg/Chompy, do you recall what aux belt you fitted? was it a bongo xantia with air con one, or something different? cos I'll need one of those too

ah that's good then daz, ecp one it is. come to think of it there were no spare pulleys.

supernaught, good point, someone did point that out to me so I haven't driven. the aa bloke has just been, and as I was explaining what happened to him, he said cam belt jumped, and agreed with me when I said what I thought, and after looking said I should get away with just removing the cambelt and cleaning it. so he's sent for a recovery truck as he can't tow me without the engine running! Luckily though, I broke down by amys sisters, who has come home from work to walk her dogs, so I have a cup of tea now!

just got to wait for a recovery truck now

here we go, had a text saying someone will be with me by 14.10, then a phonecall 4 minutes later advising that the driver has had a change of destination, so they are trying to find a local contractor for a good price.

that's all I need, I'm finding it hard to not fall asleep here

I'll bear that in mind, thanks! tomorrow will be OK, I have a lift to work and back, all depends if I can fix it over the weekend. if it's a case of cambelt off, clean up bits of old aux belt, cam belt back on and new aux belt, then great, but I'm not getting excited yet! I've got a video of it running, will upload that in a sec on the wifi

post-5612-0-79501800-1475762283_thumb.jpg

how far away is the colt? just as a backup plan!

infact I'm back where I started this morning, outside evas school! Amy nabbed me whwn I got in so I can sit in the car with an asleep Charlie! 100% unproductive day, but it's been quite nice!

Personally i wouldn't reuse the belt if its jumped, its got to have strained it, for the price of a new one just put one on to be safe.

euro car parts don't have just a belt, it's a whole timing belt kit for £90. and I won't get one locally from anywhere else as we don't have anywhere else! even if I order one today from the Internet I doubt it'll come in time for this weekend

I've done my research, but there's two radiators that might fit the Voyager - the current one is having a bit of a weep every so often, and my next outing in it is 400 miles on Monday so I want it sorted before that.

Eurocarparts have both types for around the 100 quid mark, but can't get one to me for 3 working days so they're ooot

The winding down of Chrysler's dealer operation in the UK leaves me with Mangoletsi in Knutsford as the nearest dealer. Surprisingly, they have a parts dept. Unsurprisingly they can't get one for two days, and quote me 403.09 quid for it but can't tell me which rad it would be as it's 'company policy to not give out part numbers'. WTAF? You and your poncy branding can f right off then mate, no, you're not having any of my money, ever.

Fortunately a small local chain of factors General Traffic have come up with what looks like a direct replacement, for 79quid plus the vat and got it to my nearest branch within 3 hours. Thank you very much. And the thermostat I forgot to order until when I pick up the rad at 1pm, is a special order item, meaning that it will be in by 4:30pm... so on my way to a happy ending in this grump, really.

euro car parts don't have just a belt, it's a whole timing belt kit for £90. and I won't get one locally from anywhere else as we don't have anywhere else! even if I order one today from the Internet I doubt it'll come in time for this weekend

I am stupid! Looked on the laptop and not my phone and they do have just a belt! Aux belt and cam belt for £25 with the 25% discount code today, and both available for collection from my local store (will get them saturday). Now my main worry isn't doing a cambelt change on a 1.9td for the first time, it's will the parts be right when I get to put them back on!!!!

I've reserved them anyway, just whilst they were on the screen

I won't have time to strip it down until the weekend now, and the edges of the cambelt are a bit tatty now (it's got no upper cover so easily checked), for £25 for both ill buy both and hope! I can't really check without having it off to clean it up.

got to read up on removing the engine mount too, never had one off before bar the meriva, and that was totally different. hoping the camshaft pulley bolt comes off ok too as Chompy has had it off before

DO NOT DRIVE A LHM CITROEN WITHOUT THE AUX BELT.

If your accumulator sphere is in good nick, you'll get about 3 presses of the brake pedal, and that's it.

This needs a little more accuracy. No idea what later Xants are like, but I'm pretty sure the XUD engines had a separate belt for the LHM pump, as do all earlier LHM Citroens. Naturally, if the pump isn't driven, you'll lose PAS as well as braking.

Got a 2 week trial of some software for ebaying. Trial runs out today, and as it's a handy program I'll pay up. Except click pay, and it gives an error message and then does nowt. Emailed the bloke, and response is "Oh yeah it does that if you wait till the end of the trial. Install the trial on another computer, and register on that with the first computer's serial number".

Like I've got computers lying around doing nothing.

This needs a little more accuracy. No idea what later Xants are like, but I'm pretty sure the XUD engines had a separate belt for the LHM pump, as do all earlier LHM Citroens. Naturally, if the pump isn't driven, you'll lose PAS as well as braking.

Luckily I didn't have to brake! When the engine died I was far away from the car infront, and the road to my right was clear, and nothing was coming the other way so I knocked it into neutral, then tried to steer, which was bloody hard! Didn't have to brake at all, as I rolled to a stop in a massive gravel layby.

When the first AA van came we were looking at how to tow it and the system said that a Xantia has to be towed with the engine running, so he put a recovery job in! So you're probably not far off Superrnaut! I certainly put it on high whilst I could (must upload the video I have of it running like shit) so it didn't sink and cause a problem getting it dragged onto the truck

That sounds like fun*! Sounds like I got away with it quite lightly, literally 2 minutes later and I would have been screaming onto the M40 entering L2 to get past the lorries going up the hill! 2 minutes earlier and I would have been on a B road with loads of corners and no places to pull over bar into a field via a hedge

Got a 2 week trial of some software for ebaying. Trial runs out today, and as it's a handy program I'll pay up. Except click pay, and it gives an error message and then does nowt. Emailed the bloke, and response is "Oh yeah it does that if you wait till the end of the trial. Install the trial on another computer, and register on that with the first computer's serial number".

Like I've got computers lying around doing nothing.

Just out of curiosity, what's the software?

I won't have time to strip it down until the weekend now, and the edges of the cambelt are a bit tatty now (it's got no upper cover so easily checked), for £25 for both ill buy both and hope! I can't really check without having it off to clean it up.

Oh right I thought it was just guessing about a jumped tooth,

If the cover is of it will be a doddle to check if the timing has jumped though.

Oh right I thought it was just guessing about a jumped tooth,

If the cover is of it will be a doddle to check if the timing has jumped though.

it is a guess! but as I need to take the belt off to get the string and bits of the shredded aux belt off and clean it all up, for a tenner I may as well Wang a new cambelt on!

I thought it was squealing cos veg got on the aux belt after the fuel leak and had been ignoring it because of that. turns out I was wrong! lease I can clean the oily pulleys off now!

I have two grumps tonight. First is people increasingly seem to ignore road markings, especially in larger supermarket car parks. Several times ive had to stop because people cut corners and drive straight across my path. Last time I gave the driver an annoyed blast with the horn and she looked at me like I was crazy.

Second is the hotels around Swindon literally doubling their prices over the International Air Tatoo weekend. I got very excited when domestic management ok'd the trip for next year, but only on the basis of no camping but just the price of tickets and hotel for 3 nights is get nearly £500. Travelodge are £124 a night!

So yeah, no jet planes for me next year. :(