Lemon Lupo - cracking up

bunglebus

Today was finally warm and un-wet enough to try and sort the handbrake. 

I thought I was going to have to take the carpet out, at least from the rear far enough forward to access things, so seat came out

20221221_100829.thumb.jpg.12af0b94a8d0820d364798c007cbee3f.jpg

Looking closer I could now access the handbrake and more importantly the plate it bolts too. Handbrake itself is easily removed - hopefully you can see at least 4 spot welds have come apart

20221221_101654.thumb.jpg.c2f195e2f685a1cbec501173a57a377f.jpg20221221_101714.thumb.jpg.8870d2a075b40e0a074034ad4a09c69b.jpg

I forgot to take any more pics but decided that at least for now, the easiest course of action was to persuade the plate back down as much as possible, then use 3 sizeable screws and washers to secure it to the tunnel. It's not perfect as there's not a lot of spare space and I couldn't go through the weld locations as the metal underneath is torn.

it is now firm and when the weather improves I can go back and ideally weld the plate back in place. Good enough for the imminent MoT though

• bunglebus changed the title to Lemon Lupo - serviced

Funny how time gets away from you. I was looking at when the Lupo last had an oil change and thinking it was only January. Yeah January 2021! Oops

Only done 6200 miles since then but I prefer to not let my cars go much past that kind of mileage between changes, so I've done it today. Looked a healthy brown rather than black, and no glitter.

Also fitted a pair of air filters that I've had since buying it two years ago as they were immaculate at the time, TBH they still weren't especially dirty but I thought I might as well do it.

Just the MoT to get through now...

• bunglebus changed the title to Lemon Lupo - Passed!

Passed another MoT with (almost) flying colours last night - however:

Screenshot_20230104-175749_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8dc3894c5d47753f45bf8b00e002357e.jpg

But if you check the MoT history instead:

Screenshot_20230104-175828_Chrome.thumb.jpg.11a0740dcaad107be85cdfb3ebc8143a.jpg

Huh. Oh well, all good until 2024 now, however I think I'll put it through another test in warmer weather as I hate having to do MoT checks and repairs in this weather

• bunglebus changed the title to Lemon Lupo - shattering

It's not been a good day today. I was away overnight and the coolant level light came on when the current Mrs BB started the Lupo this morning. I know it has a little leak from the rad but I've just been topping it up from the bottle kept in the boot. Unfortunately she couldn't get the cap off so had to walk to work, I was in the dog house as apparently I did it up too tight!

Then to add insult to injury, the guys doing a repair to our roof dislodged a tile which hit their van and a chunk went through the side window of the Lupo. Housing assoc. insurance should cover it but it's a ball ache that she now can't take it anywhere, really need two cars this month

20230209_131914.jpg

22 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

It's not been a good day today. I was away overnight and the coolant level light came on when the current Mrs BB started the Lupo this morning. I know it has a little leak from the rad but I've just been topping it up from the bottle kept in the boot. Unfortunately she couldn't get the cap off so had to walk to work, I was in the dog house as apparently I did it up too tight!

Then to add insult to injury, the guys doing a repair to our roof dislodged a tile which hit their van and a chunk went through the side window of the Lupo. Housing assoc. insurance should cover it but it's a ball ache that she now can't take it anywhere, really need two cars this month

20230209_131914.jpg

Good excuse to get some pop out rear windows as they can just be bolted in

silver lining’s and all that 

• 3 weeks later...

What a stressful morning I've had. Getting absolutely nowhere with the insurance companies as it's public liability and can take months apparently? 

Cut out a bit of perspex and even managed to get the right curve on it to match using the hot air gun - but of course as soon as I pushed the old glass out it pissed with rain, I tried all sorts of things to get the perspex to stick to the remains of the old glass but nothing worked so I've had to gaffer tape it in.

Lots of fun was had after trying silicone and it not working, then trying to get that godforsaken stuff off the plastic and the old glass too. Double sided tape wouldn't stick, maybe there was still some residue or maybe it doesn't take to glass. I don't want to try removing the old glass bond in case I fuck something up and it makes getting the new window fitted more complex.

Definitely not safe to drive as-is.

Insurance are total bastards, they won't confirm if they'll reimburse any costs like taxis or a hire car so we're pretty screwed 

20230225_124041.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • bunglebus changed the title to Lemon Lupo - feeling horny

Planning on putting the Lupo through an MoT so I don't have to piss about in the cold dark days of December getting it ready.

Had the rear drums off to check and adjust as the handbrake was a bit high - clearly someone's been here before as it's all looking fresh

20230616_122826.thumb.jpg.07c308fb4f671927e73b77667e544e2a.jpg

A little jiggle of the offside shoes saw them adjusted nicely.

Next job - the horn. Original sounded like a strangled duck so I swapped it a while ago for a pair of supposedly louder aftermarket ones. These didn't seem much better so assumed they were crap and put the original back on. But testing the aftermarket ones straight on the battery they work fine. This is a really weird fault, it's like there aren't enough amps reaching the horn.

Plan now is to fit a relay and a direct (fused) feed from the battery, so the original wiring will only need to switch the relay on

• bunglebus changed the title to Lemon Lupo - cat got your tongue?

Engine light on seems to be a common trait on Lupos, it gets extinguished for the MoT but I thought I should try and resolve the problem. Fault code is P0420 so it's either a stoner or has some sort of catalyst related fault. Internet "expert" suggested pre-cat O2 sensor so one of China's finest was ordered from eBay along with the correct socket to remove it.

Came out with no fuss but rather than the EML coming on when you do motorway speeds, it was back almost immediately. Bugger

20230626_145507.jpg

P0420 is flagging that the cat isn't working. Best get someone to check the live data on the two O² sensors. The pre cat sensor, which controls the mixture should show a wave trace. If the post cat filter is showing a wave trace too, that shows the cat isn't doing anything. 

Everyone tries to blame P0420 on sensors not working, but it's usually wishful thinking, hoping for a cheap fix. The 0² sensors have their own codes for use when they fail.

Chinese sensors are useless, as you are seeing. Genuine Bosch or NTK are the way to go. But probably not needed in this case. 

0420 is the post cat sensor, and is generally ignorable providing it passed emissions OK.

It's common to appear when fitting an aftermarket exhaust, as the new cat is rarely as good as the OEM one.

Clear and ignore, and if it continues to bug you, fit an elbow spacer in front of of the rear O2 sensor.

• bunglebus changed the title to Lemon Lupo - cracking up