Lemon Lupo - cracking up

bunglebus

A 2nd VW just joined the fleet for Mrs Bunglebus, a 1.0E Lupo in one of the better colours. We'd have liked Fantasia green but this will do nicely. Got to give it a full service and cambelt, hopefully Mr MoT man won't find to much wrong with it.

That car bra is going straight in the bin as soon as it's thawed out, far too cold to be doing anything today

20201231_114017.jpg

20201231_114030.jpg

20201231_114952.jpg

20201231_115043.jpg

9 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

A 2nd VW just joined the fleet for Mrs Bunglebus, a 1.0E Lupo in one of the better colours. We'd have liked Fantasia green but this will do nicely. Got to give it a full service and cambelt, hopefully Mr MoT man won't find to much wrong with it.

That car bra is going straight in the bin as soon as it's thawed out, far too cold to be doing anything today

20201231_114017.jpg

20201231_114030.jpg

20201231_114952.jpg

20201231_115043.jpg

I've never understood people leaving those bonnet bra's on permanently. You're essentially paying to ruin the paintwork beneath. Well done, it will look loads better without it 👍

Bra has been removed. And I've taken the bonnet cover off the car.

I always have a bit of a panic after I buy a car, this one was no exception. Did I miss something? Will it blow up? Is it a ringer or cut and shut?

We've been out and had a fiddle with it this morning and I feel a bit better now, there is a scab on the bonnet hidden by the bra, I think it was there before it was fitted though. Vacuumed out some leaves from the scuttle (my pet hate), drained some oil out as it was over filled and mrs BB gave it a good vacuum out and fitted the tools back in the spare wheel (never used Michelin) properly.

Part of the reason I was worried was the MoT had expired and it was SORN, so we couldn't test drive it. Also the engine light had come on after the seller posted the ad. It seems to run very sweetly and is quiet so I hoped this wouldn't be anything too major. While I was poking around under the bonnet, I found a vacuum hose off. Re-fitted it and the light is now off. Much relief.

Mrs drove it home the other day after insuring it and booking an MoT, which I cancelled due to the EML. It's booked in again on the 4th so fingers crossed all will be well. It will be getting a thorough wash and interior valet over the weekend and whatever servicing I have bits for, got the oil and filter locally but ordered all the other stuff online so got to wait for it all to arrive.

All in all it doesn't seem like a bad little beastie, it has one cracked mirror cap which I'll glue, the bonnet scab and a crust by the roof rail to attend to and a couple of small dinks, worst of which is the OSR arch which has been creased. Not seen anything I'd call structural rust or evidence of previous repairs, not bad for a 20 year old car.

49 minutes ago, Mr Laurence said:

Any photos of it now the bra's gone? Lupos are fantastic cars! I've always loved how many interesting colours they offered. like you, I think that Fantasia was the best colour they offered, with yellow and soft blue a close second.

Good luck with the MOT!

It needs a proper wash first - and yes I agree Fantasia is the best colour, although almost all the available ones suit them. Ultimate spec for me would be Fantasia TDi with the open air roof and green interior.

Could probably do with a second attack with the wet vac, but it's come up very nicely all things considered. It really is a nice little car, not found anything to suggest it's been abused or crashed.

20210102_154802.thumb.jpg.82a54425e3ad8dbb9f4ec538383b20e1.jpg

Only found 5p, a tomato sauce sachet and a Wilko receipt under the seats though, how disappointing 

Today it got a bucket of water thrown over it. Of course just as we finished chamoising it, the heavens opened

20210103_133249.thumb.jpg.f3ccd671fe31ec0d516b3639c1919e4f.jpg

These are the only bad bits, OSR arch

20210103_135125.thumb.jpg.c9bed89c8437fe37cb88955a745502f6.jpg

Rust bubble on the NSR roof rail

20210103_135131.thumb.jpg.4f7671e9c751ade934f54f7accd07017.jpg

A couple of minor dings on the N/S

20210103_135140.thumb.jpg.dc3a6276475056b559d3d8edc5e8e8db.jpg20210103_135145.thumb.jpg.2612ef668e120c1f958d37b491096701.jpg

And two scabs on the bonnet

20210103_135158.thumb.jpg.51f62f511d1e81ebab5ea638a9a1bf43.jpg

One corroded BBS

20210103_135241.thumb.jpg.5d7eb032d1e3a7a5a623d74f7266f100.jpg

It also has some very slight damage to the sill seams where it's been jacked up incorrectly, having seen what happened on my Passat when I ignored it, I'll be sorting that out.

I was pretty damp from cleaning the Lupo anyway so gave mine a very quick once over in the rain

20210103_135220.thumb.jpg.7494ffeb6bba91d422e37dc8b61d1feb.jpg

My phone really doesn't like the yellow and washes it out in pictures 

• bunglebus changed the title to Lovely legal lemon Lupo

Feel like I've snatched defeat from the jaws of victory today. Had a few hours spare and there wasn't any water falling out of the sky, so I attempted to get some jobs done. First up, door check straps

After

Better but still not silent, that's a brand new part - typically the passenger side is now perfect

Then I started on the service stuff, engine cover off and removed a thousand screws to access the air filters - old ones have clearly been changed recently so left them alone.

Had a look at the cambelt 

20210106_143743.thumb.jpg.5692920380123ecca20e96a047c7f5ef.jpg

Christ that's not good. It does have VW history but not for a good few years, so that needs replacing ASAP.

Clutch also feels a bit stiff/odd. Stood on my head and looked at the pedal box, couldn't see anything amiss so lubed the cable and pivot as best possible. Still the same so needs a cable or possibly clutch. It's ok for now though.

Oh and I got the wrong spark plugs so couldn't change those either

Daughter No2s Lupo clutch always felt funny as well. Just didnt have any feel to it. I was always stalling it, she had no problem with it though. I eventually got a garage to put a new clutch in it. £330 later it was no better. 

4 minutes ago, doug said:

Daughter No2s Lupo clutch always felt funny as well. Just didnt have any feel to it. I was always stalling it, she had no problem with it though. I eventually got a garage to put a new clutch in it. £330 later it was no better. 

Oh - yes this is how I would describe it, no "feel" so finding the biting point isn't easy. Also feels slightly notchy, pedal box appears to be OK from what I can see. Don't mind changing the cable but I'd rather not replace the clutch without reason. I might slacken it off and try and grease the cable

• bunglebus changed the title to Annoying lemon Lupo

Thought I'd have a go at changing the cambelt today as it doesn't look like a terrible job.

Except the second bottom pulley bolt rounded off instead of undoing, so now I need to figure out how to tackle that (1/4 inch hex socket hammered in possibly) and find new bolts. That's proving interesting as I can't find anything that says it's for this engine,but it only holds the aux drive pulley on - a bolt's a bolt..?

Oh, nice - I missed this thread earlier in the week.

My mother bought an identical one new in 2000; I only ever drove it a handful of times (usually whenever my Datsun had eaten a wheel bearing or some such) but I also found the clutch very odd - a high bite point, and oddly wooden.

The only problem I recall it having was that the steering lock would occasionally kick in on roundabouts, making it impossible to steer the bloody thing off the roundabout until it was forcibly released. I think it had a new steering column fitted under warranty.

She got £1000 trade-in allowance for it against a new Fiat 500 nine years later. It had 11,000 miles on the clock at that stage, had been dealer services all the way through and really was like new. The guy in the Fiat dealership said it was too good for the forecourt, and he was going to take it himself and give it to his daughter as her first car.

About 18 months later I saw it parked up in the University Quarter in Belfast - both bumpers were cracked, there were dents all over it and the interior looked like it'd been used for a mud-wrestling tournament. It also had a 'Powered by Fairy Dust' sticker on the tailgate.

I didn't tell my mother.

Still, for £150, I think you've done alright - hope the pulley bolt issue gets sorted without too much hassle!

7 hours ago, Datsuncog said:

It also had a 'Powered by Fairy Dust' sticker on the tailgate.

Still, for £150, I think you've done alright - hope the pulley bolt issue gets sorted without too much hassle!

Unfortunately it was @goosey that paid £150, ours was a bit more, still happy for the price though.

Current Mrs. bungle_bus keeps going on about pink seat covers and headlight eyelashes. I've told her I thought she had taste and they will be going in the wheelie bin if she does.

41 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

Unfortunately it was @goosey that paid £150, ours was a bit more, still happy for the price though.

Current Mrs. bungle_bus keeps going on about pink seat covers and headlight eyelashes. I've told her I thought she had taste and they will be going in the wheelie bin if she does.

I feel I should add as well as service items my sons Lupo needed....

new clutch 

Replacement gearbox - original had been run dry due to leaking selector shaft seals 

brakes front and rear - 3 years on damp grass had ruined everything 

front wheel bearings 

bottom arms and arb links

cambelt and water pump 

in tank fuel pump and sender unit 

Roof rot repairs - VW had offered to carry this out FOC under warranty for the previous owner would of been around 2011 but she declined as she didn’t want the hassle 🙄

there was a load of other stuff done but I can’t remember 

It’s currently off the road as my son is looking at doing a 1.8 turbo conversion on it as he has a Suzuki Jimny as a daily now. 

the Lupo group on Facebook is an excellent source of parts and info- we got a replacement gearbox for £30