Stuff that will never be shite

Bren

I have been thinking - what cars will never be shite?

Which cars will for various reasons will not appeal to the likes of ourselves as they reach banger money.

I'll start with this - 

Screenshot_20201228-143821_Google.thumb.jpg.7f92df81200aaa0fa95281607ca9ab01.jpg

BMW E60. Think lexus but without the build quality or reliability. Image is also an issue. Four pot engines are utter shit - both petrol and diesel. Timing chains are made from fog.

Six pot petrols are best bet - diesels are powerful and pretty frugal but when limp mode occurs it's time to lube up.

V8? I like mine but the propensity to chuck up big bills is enormous.

My auto box needs a service - when cold gear changes are more violent than a David Cronenberg film. It needs the correct zf fluid and appropriate diagnostic eqiupment. Another £350 +.

These are not a car for feint hearted. They need money ( a lot) and sympathy.

What else can you lot think of?

4 hours ago, Cavcraft said:

I think pretty much most cars will be shite at some point, but not all will drop into the £500 range.

Very true, but even some stupidly expensive stuff gets VERY cheap, just look at Porsche Cayennes. However you need to be a soft southern shit for brains league 2 wannabe reserve from Guildford with no nuts to buy one.

49 minutes ago, mk2_craig said:

Ford Focus RS. 

I reckon the majority of fast ford's could be in that category, well the turbocharged ones anyway. 

I've fancied a cheap ST when I thought they'd drop to sort of £1000-1500 range but it's literally never happened, never really did with the cossie either but the RS turbo was a £1000 car for years hence my logic😂😂

I'm not saying they're full on money pits either but if I put £3-4k into a dog I know I'd need another thou in to get it right then the 20 odd mpg economy, theft issues and other costs would make me think its not a shitter car anymore. 

I think the golf R will be another. 

I can see them hitting maybe £5k in a few years which will seem cheap but I'm also guessing so many will have been stolen by then that they'll be a bit of a rarity and keep holding above £5k, bit like the R32.

Can't see some of the electric cars ever being of much interest to us as by the time we get them the batteries will be dead and the costs to replace prohibitive, like a tesla or the like. 

I see a few of the lads on here are starting to get the leafs (leaves???) or even a few i3 things but the latter is certainly not a cheap car so not sure if they're at shite territory yet. 

I'd have a 3.0d e60 in a heartbeat, I still think they're gorgeous looking cars. 

With how electronic cars have gone I do wonder whether certain models will even be around long enough to get into shite territory. Then again, there may yet be a new generation of 'shiters who know all the digital stuff and can fix them. That would be fun to read.

10 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

With how electronic cars have gone I do wonder whether certain models will even be around long enough to get into shite territory. Then again, there may yet be a new generation of 'shiters who know all the digital stuff and can fix them. That would be fun to read.

Anecdotally, I remember people complaining about the Diy types not being able to fix air suspension.

I remember hearing people bitch about efi and laughing at them 25 years ago.

I’ve read stuff from 1970 in which people bitch about that new fancy Land Rover and how it wouldn’t catch on. The Range Rover Classic lasted 26 years.

I reckon there has been people bitching about newer cars for about 120 years or so.

On 12/28/2020 at 7:37 PM, Tamworthbay said:

Very true, but even some stupidly expensive stuff gets VERY cheap, just look at Porsche Cayennes. However you need to be a soft southern shit for brains league 2 wannabe reserve from Guildford with no nuts to buy one.

Okay anyone with a  Porsche Cayenne step forward now !! 🙊

On 12/28/2020 at 9:08 PM, Tayne said:

Anecdotally, I remember people complaining about the Diy types not being able to fix air suspension.

I remember hearing people bitch about efi and laughing at them 25 years ago.

I’ve read stuff from 1970 in which people bitch about that new fancy Land Rover and how it wouldn’t catch on. The Range Rover Classic lasted 26 years.

I reckon there has been people bitching about newer cars for about 120 years or so.

Too true. 

'airbags? Newfangled rubbish'

'abs? Newfangled rubbish'

'fuel injection? Newfangled rubbish'

'BMW? You can't drive them in winter'

All overheard in pubs in the 20th century 

What's wrong with trying to find the benefits of new technology? I know that my knowledge is from the past but the new stuff won't be terrible. 

5 hours ago, horriblemercedes said:

Too true. 

'airbags? Newfangled rubbish'

'abs? Newfangled rubbish'

'fuel injection? Newfangled rubbish'

'BMW? You can't drive them in winter'

All overheard in pubs in the 20th century 

What's wrong with trying to find the benefits of new technology? I know that my knowledge is from the past but the new stuff won't be terrible. 

A bit like car wanted ads you see on here sometimes with the requirements of nothing with a timing belt, DMF, electric windows and a budget of 50p etc. Basically a car that is as simple as a knife and fork. Then someone will suggest a 1998 Micra because it’s not got one of these new fangled timing belts that WILL break. I often think of suggesting a horse and cart but then cart wheels wear out when they’ve done 250,000 miles and sugar cubes for the horse are pricey...

On 28/12/2020 at 20:51, vaughant said:

I see a few of the lads on here are starting to get the leafs (leaves???) or even a few i3 things but the latter is certainly not a cheap car so not sure if they're at shite territory yet. 

Depends how you view shite.  From an overall costs perspective they may well be still cheap.