Renault 19 - positive/negative experiences

doubleyeller

Had a R19 16v for 3 years. The first year was sorting the cooling system out probably from neglect. Blocked heater matrix resulted in almost zero heat in the cabin and some awkward to access corroded pipes. Heater control knobs snap off. Once done it was great.

I would check the heater works!

Just now, Mudster said:

Had a R19 16v for 3 years. The first year was sorting the cooling system out probably from neglect. Blocked heater matrix resulted in almost zero heat in the cabin and some awkward to access corroded pipes. Heater control knobs snap off. Once done it was great.

I would check the heater works!

Useful info thanks - I am a bit put off that you had to spend a year rectifying a cooling system!

Just now, Mudster said:

Not as put off as I was ! 😀

It was a case of fixing something and a few weeks later something else failed. Just about replaced all hoses/pipes, radiator etc. Never did get the heater working really well though.

Yeah I have heard pretty mixed things tbh - plenty of people I knew  back in 2000 sort of time loved them and said "Best car I ever owned, this!"

Just now, sierraman said:

Basically the same as a phase 1 Megane I think? AFAIK the 1.6e on those was prone to cooling system issues and sludging. To be fair it’s now at the very least a 25 year old car, anything could be wrong with it. 

Yeah, amazing how time flies

Tbh I expect the MK1 megane to have fewer survivors in the long term

1 hour ago, MJK 24 said:

I know.  Annoying to say the least.

at least he is willing to sell the whole car if someone wants it. fingers crossed they do.   Given how many R19 are left I can't imagine a huge queue for parts so he needs to be careful letting one or two bits go

Friend of mine had a 19 with the 1.4 Energy lump. It liked to drink a bit of water and the clutch was getting a bit slippy but the thing went on and on and on. 

Comfy seats. Eventually he got bored of it, put it nose first against the barn doors in first with the wheels spinning, and stuck a brick on the throttle.

Plenty of noise, steam and smoke. 

He gave up after the tyres blew out. When it cooled down it had no water in and wouldn't turn over for the first few attempts, then started up and idled like nothing had happened.

Wasn't a bad car really. Just dull and with a heavy clutch and springy gears.

Phil