Exhaust Woes

babydriver

Just been quoted £350 quid by several places for a complete system including cat for a 1998 (s) citroen xsara 1.4 hatch. :roll: This is nearly as much as I paid for the beast 2 years ago...........then upon looking at the quote they want a £1 to dipose of the system! if and when I save up enough to get this done surely I am best asking for the system back because the cat is worth £80 scrap value I have heard. Is this right and does anyone on here deal in exhausts???? Manchester area. :cry:

Be wary if a fast-fit place is telling you that you need a new cat- the only reasons to replace one is either physical damage (they're sometimes mounted behind the sump, so ripe for twatting on rocks) or rusting through. They don't just fail through old age normally.Has it failed an emissions test or something? This is almost always air leaks, knackered plugs, dodgy valves and so on and hardly ever the cats fault.I needed a cat for a Mondeo, fast-fit place quoted £110 fitted but I found one online for £42 delivered. Only issue then was going to be the rusted-to-heck bolts, but luckily the rest of the car expired and it all went to the scrapman, who was undoubtedly annoyed that the cat was in hundreds of pieces inside the can.

Yes it does need a new cat & the rest, its still the original system which is now 11 years old so the original owner got his moneys worth, thanks for all the tips folks I will try to get one on line and I can weild a spanner or two only the last time I did try an exhaust it was a bugger getting it gas tight.Also I don't know if anyone has heard but there was a big poster on the wall in the garage saying that the government is trying to bring in a law that it will be illegal for anyone to do work on their own cars like they did with the law on household electrics, anyone know any more??

........Also I don't know if anyone has heard but there was a big poster on the wall in the garage saying that the government is trying to bring in a law that it will be illegal for anyone to do work on their own cars like they did with the law on household electrics, anyone know any more??

Sounds like scaremongering to me! Er they wouldn't be trying to sell more fitted exhausts would they? 'Trying to' and actually 'Bringing in' a law are two different things. Also, it would dramatically cut the service the AA and RAC offer, and they are quite big organisations to take on. Even if they did bring it in, do you think any of us would take any notice? Behind garage doors and all that.....

Thanks for the link retrogeezer, just bit the bullet and ordered everything online £160 for the lot inc delivery, I thought exhaust places did free fitting but on the worst quote of £404 all in I have saved £240 big ones. the quote I was given had all the part numbers on so that helped, opted for all new nuts bolts/gaskets etc which on the online order service told me how many of which I will need so hopefully putting everything on will be a breeze.Do you think I should get some sealing paste in for the job?The evil one I am marrried to even perked up a bit when I told her the new price, only one week of bussin to & from work.(I Hope).I shant stop working on cars in future either. I don't think a new law can be policed. like said before what goes on behind closed doors etc.

No probs, hope it all fits o.k. Should only be a couple of nuts & bolts and as already said, with new parts it should be a pretty easy job to do yourself. A mate of mine with his own garage told me ages ago that 'no-nails' type stuff does a far better job than the 'gum-gum' sealing paste you can buy.I've used the no-nails stuff to bodge holes a few times and it has lasted well so just grab a tube of that for the joints.I did notice that ebay link says 2000 onwards models but if you have the part numbers that was a bonus.

Be careful when using sealers on a cat equipped system, don't use it forward of the cat, as residue can sit on the monolith and get superheated by the exhaust gases, thereby melting the porcelain element, killing the cat very quickly indeed. The manifold joint will be quite hard to get to without a ramp, but it consists of 2 long M6 bolts with a pair of springs held within, and the heads are 9 or 10mm, the nuts IIRC are 11mm.... Just be careful not to drop the new bits inside the exhaust when fitting!