Variants we never got

sierraman

7 hours ago, UltraWomble said:

Talking of Fords

I wonder why we never got the Fiesta Saloon?

ford-ikon.jpg

That's an Ikon. 

It was a project specifically for Ford India.  This was Fiesta based but redesigned for local conditions.

The spec was based around the assumption that there would be 100% net local content by value. 

The problem was that load of parts, including the engine were sourced from Europe (consolidated in Dagenham). 

They got around this by having Ford India produce or purchase parts for export to Europe.  I did a bit of work on starter motors license built in India for European Transit production as an offset for the Ikon project. 

12 hours ago, Asimo said:

I like two door cars, base-models with big engines, luxo-barges with economy engines etc etc so have always had a bit of a sulk about the bland, compromised, middle of the road models sold into the British market.

This enough-doors Corsair has just turned up on eBay, a South African import. I don’t think I have ever seen one before, were they ever sold here?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1965-Ford-Corsair-2-door-yes-2-door/143890608115?hash=item21808c6ff3:g:FkkAAOSwTuxf3PzaB9F2B9AD-D3B7-4753-A791-ECCE3BDF99D5.thumb.jpeg.116d7687e9d3f7e8d4ba3df878c947a8.jpeg

Yes only in the early version upto 65-66 I think.

4 hours ago, sierraman said:

Years ago when Sierras were current in Sheffield a guy had a Sierra XR8, at the time I think it was the only one in the U.K. at that point. Used to see it at shows etc, I often wonder what happened to it, this is before fast Sierras were worth anything. 

That was Bob Haslam not seen him for years he sold the XR6 cortina it's still around dunno about the XR8 his was one of 2 I knew of.

11 minutes ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

Yes only in the early version upto 65-66 I think.

I’m sure they made 2 door V4’s as the Crawford convertibles must have been based on them, just didn’t sell them here. A shame because a 2 door 2000e would have been quite nice, a British Personal car in the style of a Thunderbird, 

On 12/18/2020 at 11:06 AM, sierraman said:

Like these, still a fairly common sight in some parts of Spain. The last ones with the smoked rear lights looked great. 

image.jpeg

I had a Mk2 Cav that was only a two door. 1982 on an X plate IIRC. 

Allegedly haunted by the first owners ghost as well!

Just now, Richard_FM said:

The 2 door Mk2 Cavaliers were only in production for a short time from what I remember & were only low trim levels.

My haunted one wasn't. Although a lowly 1300 base it was ex Vauxhall staff and loaded with every extra available. The first owner bought it for his retirement.

13 hours ago, Asimo said:

I like two door cars, base-models with big engines, luxo-barges with economy engines etc etc so have always had a bit of a sulk about the bland, compromised, middle of the road models sold into the British market.

This enough-doors Corsair has just turned up on eBay, a South African import. I don’t think I have ever seen one before, were they ever sold here?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1965-Ford-Corsair-2-door-yes-2-door/143890608115?hash=item21808c6ff3:g:FkkAAOSwTuxf3PzaB9F2B9AD-D3B7-4753-A791-ECCE3BDF99D5.thumb.jpeg.116d7687e9d3f7e8d4ba3df878c947a8.jpeg

Yes they were. I had one. They had the 1500 Kent engine in them. 

On 12/19/2020 at 7:44 AM, HMC said:

Lancia thema estate. I’m hoping they did (or someone has since made) an 8.32 version. Something Gianni Agnelli would have arranged as a one off for himself perhaps.

E3696594-8FD4-49F9-92A7-A48DA437C481.thumb.png.1e5e3178c9173066cda4c6371017ff2b.png

Edit- such a car was a thing (with Agnelli as owner too

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/13162/lot/222/

There's at least 2 other 8.32 estates made by private owners, 1 Dutch & 1 German. I nearly bought the German one around 12 or so years ago but was beaten to it.

On 12/19/2020 at 8:20 AM, Landy Mann said:

Small estates are underrated, I looks like we might not get the next Dacia Logan MCV... Either

The current generation Clio also has an estate... it looks shit, but the previous mini-estates that we did get I found were pretty smart.

renault-clio-estate_3997_6.jpg

For family use surely these make perfect space. A massive boot for child accessories, easy 70 mpg from a diesel... yet we all buy identical huge SUVs which are impossible to park and weigh 2000 kg

9 hours ago, Richard_FM said:

I heard it was sold in markets where cars are taxed by engine size such as France, Italy, Portugal & Greece.

I would have thought markets where there are no hills. The Netherlands, East Anglia. Places like that. 

Reminds me of the utterly gutless mk1 Golf 1.1 my mate bought from the auction. No amount of fettling and tuning could get it to go like it should. 

Turned out someone had fitted an 850 Polo engine! 

1 hour ago, Timewaster said:

I would have thought markets where there are no hills. The Netherlands, East Anglia. Places like that. 

Reminds me of the utterly gutless mk1 Golf 1.1 my mate bought from the auction. No amount of fettling and tuning could get it to go like it should. 

Turned out someone had fitted an 850 Polo engine! 

That would be very slow!  The Mk2 Golf had a 1050cc engine has been described as a bad joke.

13 hours ago, Richard_FM said:

I heard it was sold in markets where cars are taxed by engine size such as France, Italy, Portugal & Greece.

13 hours ago, High Jetter said:

I thought we did, I recall thinking that's a smoll motor for that car, but then the DS could have had a mini engine... Am I confused with the 1.4? I don't think so.

In the UK we used to pay tax based on horsepower (using the RAC's calculation - which gave very small numbers, and the names of cars - Austin 7, Morris 10) etc. This gave some incentive to buy according to HP (which had some relationship to engine size).  Then at some point all this was abandoned (after WW2?) and we just paid the same for all cars, until the banding, based on CO2 emissions was introduced at the turn of the centaury. Therefore after the second world war there was no incentive to buy a car solely on engine size to avoid tax in the UK.

36 minutes ago, martc said:

In the UK we used to pay tax based on horsepower (using the RAC's calculation - which gave very small numbers, and the names of cars - Austin 7, Morris 10) etc. This gave some incentive to buy according to HP (which had some relationship to engine size).

The formula used was based on the cylinder bore, not the capacity,  which led to some very inefficient engine designs with small bore and long stroke to minimise tax.  So that wasn't thought through properly.  As usual.