Variants we never got

sierraman

44 minutes ago, Asimo said:

I like two door cars, base-models with big engines, luxo-barges with economy engines etc etc so have always had a bit of a sulk about the bland, compromised, middle of the road models sold into the British market.

This enough-doors Corsair has just turned up on eBay, a South African import. I don’t think I have ever seen one before, were they ever sold here?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1965-Ford-Corsair-2-door-yes-2-door/143890608115?hash=item21808c6ff3:g:FkkAAOSwTuxf3PzaB9F2B9AD-D3B7-4753-A791-ECCE3BDF99D5.thumb.jpeg.116d7687e9d3f7e8d4ba3df878c947a8.jpeg

Yes, but built to order only for the UK apparently

58 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

I remember @Tayne telling me about one of these being the UK. I think it was him anyway.

How many left indicates that there are two diesel fluences registered in the UK.

The other 49 cars are electric.

Not sure there’s been anything else  from a major manufacturer that’s flopped that badly in the UK.

35 minutes ago, UltraWomble said:

Talking of Fords

I wonder why we never got the Fiesta Saloon?

ford-ikon.jpg

Large%20Image_6546.jpg?itok=YT6KT0-r

I can see that appealing to the retired giffer driver who has given up his company MUndane

I've seen one in the UK, leaving Ford at Dunton so probably being evaluated. We have too many not very different versions of moderns, like Golf/Golf Plus, Ka/Ka+, Fiesta/Fusion as it is, so probably not enough room in the market for it.

And no-one buys saloons anymore

13 hours ago, Motown said:

Great idea! Although I have to say am not against elecy I just don’t think the technology is there yet... The infrastructure needs expanding for a start I don’t want to run out of juice on a smart motorway  because the range is shite and there’s no charge station for 40 mile 😳

I agree - it's a great idea and could lead to 'Britain leading the world with it's cheap electric Rovers'. Chances are though they would be rebadged Chinese electric cars with wood effect sticky back plastic on the dashboards. Roewe already have several in their stable, and there's hundreds more, from tens of manufacturers to chose from - just look here, there's 56 pages of them - pick one and stick a longboat on the front.

https://carnewschina.com/tag/china-electric-car/

Here's a couple we certainly haven't got over here -

NEVS 9-3 EV

The NEVS 9-3EV - look familair? NEVS = New Electric Vehicle Sweden, they bought the production rights from SAAB when they went bust - https://carnewschina.com/2017/12/06/nevs-9-3-ev-china/#more-82171

And for light entertainment purposes, I'll leave this here -

Suzhou Eagle BMW Isetta

https://carnewschina.com/2018/01/15/chinese-lsev-company-bmw-isetta-four-doors/#more-82624

Something else we are unlikely to get.

Incidently, not wanting to derail the subject, but even now you can run out of petrol/diesel/lpg on a smart motorway, 40 miles from a filling station, you don't need to wait for this new fangled elastrickery to leave you stranded.

9 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Meanwhile, in Japan-
Nissan March Box (WK11) '1999–2002
File:Nissan March Box 001.JPG - Wikimedia Commons

Also these-
File:Nissan March sedan 001.JPG - Wikimedia Commons

For some reason a Micra saloon is rather appealing. Would have been a good successor to the Nova saloon IMO.

I'd seen the Micra Box before, but that saloon! Wow.

I think it's the non-wrap-around tail lights that do it.

51 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

The Gol was FWD, and by the time it was made no-one in their right mind would want a Beetle engined Polo. I'd love one

The Gol is fluffing ace - what a wonderful natural progressor to the Beetle  - air cooled, simple, 2 door.
Could have been a nice cheap end motor.

I'd love one too.

2 minutes ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Those seats ! Can’t help feeling an understated,lazy, Essex engined 5 door would have been more popular than the XR4i, here. Could have been a real bargain and the Police would have loved them too.

But we had the 2.9 V6 4x4 in XR4x4 and Ghia 4x4 estate trim.  And turbo technical did a conversion kit.  

I saw a 2000E sapphire with 2.9 4x4 running gear and thought it a good idea that Ford missed the trick on.   It was slightly understated compared to a cosworth sapphire 

2 hours ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

Australia really missed out on an Opel Monza based 2 door Holden Commodore. Just imagine a Vauxhall Royale Coupé with a whopping great V8, Perfection.

But eventually did the Monaro, which seems to be a V8 omega coupe.  That's what I tell myself. 

13 hours ago, sierraman said:

I can’t see them bringing back the Rover name, to anyone over 30 it’s synonymous with old folks cars. The moment has passed, the whole brand went down the pan by 2005. 

With the right product and the right marketing strategy, a brand's perception can be changed. That's why nobody tells Skoda jokes anymore. :)

... although that being said, this is JLR we're talking about. So it's likely neither the product or the marketing would be right. :D

2 hours ago, NorfolkNWeigh said:

Those seats ! Can’t help feeling an understated,lazy, Essex engined 5 door would have been more popular than the XR4i, here. Could have been a real bargain and the Police would have loved them too.

If you really want to be the boss, you need a 5.0 XR8

Ford Sierra XR8 '1984–88

Sierra XR8

5 hours ago, bunglebus said:

The Gol was FWD, and by the time it was made no-one in their right mind would want a Beetle engined Polo. I'd love one

I would happily own a Beetle-engined anything.

But when I last had a Beetle, I wanted to convert it to Mazda-Wankel power.  And to put a "0 valve" badge on it.