Collecktioning [part deux]

Rocket88

An interesting way to mount rally spot lights. 

Has it any rally heritage?  It has the stripes and dents from minor "offs" into woodland. Definately* has the right wheels in the right colour. What are they magnesium compomotive? 

https://www.comp.co.uk/products/product.asp?item=hbc1465-60-199

1 hour ago, New POD said:

An interesting way to mount rally spot lights. 

Has it any rally heritage?  It has the stripes and dents from minor "offs" into woodland. Definately* has the right wheels in the right colour. What are they magnesium compomotive? 

https://www.comp.co.uk/products/product.asp?item=hbc1465-60-199

A spot of amateur trialing by previous owner.......

s-l1600-9.jpg

s-l1600-8.jpg

Have a real soft spot for these cars. They were once absolutely everywhere, then like a lot of things you blinked and they were gone. Even the next generation are becoming a rare sight. 

My dad bought one new and had it for years, was the first new car he'd bought. I'd have been 8 or 9 at the time and was more excited than him. Went with him to get it and spent much of the time oggling the Alfa GTV in the showroom. One of the salesman clocked my interest and came back with a pair of diecast models, one Alfa and one Fiat. 

Wish I could remember the reg, it was a light blue 1.2 "60", T something something something AGG. Was an absolutely great car and was replaced a good few years later with a red MK2 Punto. 

15 minutes ago, sgtberbatov said:

The brake calipers from a Punto will fit a Lada, along with the wheels. 

Bet you didn't know THAT!

I remember a conversation with the chief engineer at Lucas Car Braking in Fen End 

Apparently Merc asked them for a few brakes for a prototype which became the A class.  So they had a look at the application and agreed to send them 100 sets of Fiat brakes. 

A while later they asked for some more, for more prototypes.  

They sent them s one Lada ones. The only difference being the letters on the casting. 

Merc sent them back, demanding a quality investigation.  

Lucas told them, no that right.

Them there was a meeting where they had 2 sets of drawings, and eventually Merc engineers were satisfied that the brakes were identical.

And then said. In that case we don't want the Fiat Brake either. Design us a new one.  From scratch. 

Given that over a Billion of that family of brakes has been now made. 

https://www.trwaftermarket.com/en/news/zf-trw-produces-one-bllonth-colette-brake-calper-contnues-to-enhance-world-leadng-desgns/

It was more a story about how arrogant Germans can be.  I assumed think it was a Fiat 128 brake, but could be a punto. 

13 hours ago, stuboy said:

mk2 which disappointed him greatly

Possibly 8V ECU fail? My sister had one replaced within the warranty period. They are notorious for failing after ignition coil failure. Surprisingly, 16V ECUs or crude oil stoves do not seem to suffer.

Another infamous case of this (then newly introduced) technology was Stilo 1.6 16V.

20 hours ago, New POD said:

I remember a conversation with the chief engineer at Lucas Car Braking in Fen End 

Apparently Merc asked them for a few brakes for a prototype which became the A class.  So they had a look at the application and agreed to send them 100 sets of Fiat brakes. 

A while later they asked for some more, for more prototypes.  

They sent them s one Lada ones. The only difference being the letters on the casting. 

Merc sent them back, demanding a quality investigation.  

Lucas told them, no that right.

Them there was a meeting where they had 2 sets of drawings, and eventually Merc engineers were satisfied that the brakes were identical.

And then said. In that case we don't want the Fiat Brake either. Design us a new one.  From scratch. 

Given that over a Billion of that family of brakes has been now made. 

https://www.trwaftermarket.com/en/news/zf-trw-produces-one-bllonth-colette-brake-calper-contnues-to-enhance-world-leadng-desgns/

It was more a story about how arrogant Germans can be.  I assumed think it was a Fiat 128 brake, but could be a punto. 

Given the current state of Mercedes "quality control", that's pretty funny.