The Castle Gresley Rover 820

Motown

2 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Kudos definitely deserved here to both of you. I always wanted this thing to survive and am glad there are people on here with the determination, skills and mild lunacy! 

@Motown I don't know how heavily you are into social media, but I reckon a carefully planned crowdfund setup and maybe facebook page specifically for the car with regular updates/photos to show contributors would garner solid £££ to add to your resto costs.

Just a thought.

Appreciate the suggestion and although it isn't a bad idea there is enough poverty and strife in the world at the moment without me taking donations for an old Rover everyone is struggling at the moment and as a father of three id rather people spent there hard earned cash on themselves. 

Thankfully i have everything the car needs in terms of parts in the loft its simply a case of getting it back together now when the weather improves before sending it for an MOT. If when the car passes its MOT and proves itself for a few weeks il be more than happy to throw hundreds even thousands at it to put it right. 

@Ian_Fearn has offered to assist me with the metalwork when its appropriate to do so in the near future and again he's done a fantastic job today.  I am fairly confident once the windscreen is fitted the car has a bright future ahead of it and will be returned to the road where i feel it belongs.

***UPDATE***

So a few setbacks today (tears were shed)

Despite it being bitterly cold here in South Yorkshire my friends Nick and Josh came over to help with the car with a view to getting the brakes serviced and some original wheels put back on the car.  However almost immediately Nick noticed that when we tried to fit the rear brake discs they were of a different fitment and didn't go onto the hub correctly. I only bought them a few days ago and was assured they were the correct ones for the mk1 820 to say i was pissed off would be an understatement.

135554585_829088034311545_3980055209775962666_n.thumb.jpg.053665b023ebb5a82dc1c2edcc603ced.jpg135480904_129191642273165_5685064025848585909_n.thumb.jpg.ceb0a64acab38e736a457cc70fbc1ffa.jpg

While Nick was putting the brakes back together i turned my attention to getting the door glass as the windscreen is being fitted tomorrow and the car will finally be sealed and secure which from day one has always been my primary goal.  However despite several attempts and nearly loosing a finger i couldn't get the glass to aligned with the holes in the door mechanism bracket. It should be noted i didn't have this problem with the rear doors only the front and i cant figure out for the life of me where i am going wrong. It then started to snow and rain on and off for the next few hours so that job didn't get finished either.

By now we were feeling pretty shite the wife made us some gammon sandwiches and hot tea which offered some light relief by this time we had been working on the car for 5 hours in the snow. Josh decided to do some filming as we felt it was important to document every part of the restoration even our failures. In a last ditched effort to get at least one job done on the car we decided to test and service the gearbox only to find the car isn't starting AGAIN.

A quick check revealed the original problem had returned.... The relay and fuel filter are good with fuel running to the filter.... We have fuel coming from the intake side of the filter but not the output side when the pipes are loosened off so we suspected the replacement pump which was tried tested and fully functional only days ago. We then decided to test the replacement pump by attaching some wire and hooking it up to a car battery it was fairly obvious the pump was dead as it didn't seem to respond when powered. Out of curiosity we then tested the original pump and got the same result so we now need to find a new mk1 820 fuel pump.

pumpy.jpg.1997016e6c1756d66df82b79e6da2960.jpg

We decided to call it a day and i can only hope that the windscreen is fitted tomorrow without any problems. More to come soon once a new battleplan has been formulated and ive found a new fuel pump.  Any tips or ideas would be much appreciated all the best 👍

4 minutes ago, Isaac Hunt said:

I don't know what is available for the Rover, but I rebuilt a Jag x-Type pump assembled by just replacing the pump part.  Had to dismantle the complete  asenbley to fit the new pump element.  The Rover unit does not look very different, just a few less pipes on the Rover unit.

Great idea thank you! i am currently looking at what Rimmers have to offer but yes this is definitely an option

I did a high quality* review of the remaining cars at the garage in 2019. Here is exactly what I said about this Rover:

”I reckon this is beyond sensible help. It clearly needs glass, wheels and the interior is damaged. I just can't imagine chucking a battery on this and it starting up (although i'd love to give it a try).”

😂

When I did the x-type, I was fairly certain it was the pump.  I used something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-MK1-1-4-1-6-1-8-2-0-1998-2005-IN-TANK-PETROL-FUEL-PUMP-NEW/171943033152?hash=item28089a7940:g:1SgAAOSwRZ9f2exc

i used a unit that was compatible with a v6 Mondeo.  I think I concluded that the pressure was regulated by the voltage feed to the pump, but it was quite some time ago and I had never had to do an 'in tank submersed pump before.   It worked a treat.   

At a tenner, it is worth a try even if to eleminate other components.  

1 hour ago, Ian_Fearn said:

I did a high quality* review of the remaining cars at the garage in 2019. Here is exactly what I said about this Rover:

”I reckon this is beyond sensible help. It clearly needs glass, wheels and the interior is damaged. I just can't imagine chucking a battery on this and it starting up (although i'd love to give it a try).”

😂

You were half right 😆

1 hour ago, Isaac Hunt said:

When I did the x-type, I was fairly certain it was the pump.  I used something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FOCUS-MK1-1-4-1-6-1-8-2-0-1998-2005-IN-TANK-PETROL-FUEL-PUMP-NEW/171943033152?hash=item28089a7940:g:1SgAAOSwRZ9f2exc

i used a unit that was compatible with a v6 Mondeo.  I think I concluded that the pressure was regulated by the voltage feed to the pump, but it was quite some time ago and I had never had to do an 'in tank submersed pump before.   It worked a treat.   

At a tenner, it is worth a try even if to eleminate other components.  

Thanks again il buy one and give it a go 👍

***Update***

Despite yesterdays failures and the weather working against us i awoke this morning with renewed energy and a huge sense of confidence and drive.

After a few phone calls this morning i managed to find a pair of rear brake discs with the correct fitment at a motor factors a few miles away from my house. They were the last pair in stock so i flew down the A1 in the Vitesse at no point making use of the S4 mode or exceeding 70mph in order to get there as quickly as possible ;) 

1305504580_135186972_401973640910533_4263895930782733288_n(1).thumb.jpg.1328a9a108b2827c8c214c036a2ec48f.jpg

After securing the brake discs i arrived home just in time for the glaziers and watched anxiously as they fitted the windscreen. 

136045246_2785449011727145_4026414641880368857_n.thumb.jpg.71e7b8b8a22510e2b1ffca10d138f400.jpg135563040_817293968817568_4711385082553888919_n.thumb.jpg.83a9ced580d02e7a949f1625ffa4cf95.jpg

They did a smashing job (no pun intended) 😆

The car didn't come with the original windscreen trims but i do have some in the loft for both saloon and fastback models so when the weather improves il fit them along with new rubbing strips and metal trimmings.

117817110_2631802053801005_6517933616329128685_n.thumb.jpg.9c5ce0cc3c558250ebbdbe276c0bc03d.jpg

I still haven't found a mk1 820 fuel pump and as such haven't got the car running again but i am looking into possibilities of making up a replacement from a similar fuel pump as @Isaac Hunt suggested. 

Thank you to all the people who have helped the project along so far. More to come soon all the best 👍

Despite the frustrations (and we've all been there, in the cold frozen,hands staring at dissapoontment/failure, wondering if you should just burn or dump it and then burn it) this is progressing along very well.  

I'll also echo the rebuild/fabricobble together the pump, you've got 2 dead ones so sacrificing a broken one for the attachments/fittings wont be a loss.

11 minutes ago, Low Horatio gearbox said:

Despite the frustrations (and we've all been there, in the cold frozen,hands staring at dissapoontment/failure, wondering if you should just burn it dump it and burn it) this is progressing along very well.  

I'll also echo the rebuild/fabricobble together the pump, you've got 2 dead ones so sacrificing a broken one for the attachments/fittings wont be a loss.

Agreed although i do worrie its not just the pump itself (which is easily replaceable) that's failed. Ideally i would like to find another 800 pump but in the meantime i am looking to having one made up in the hope the rest works

Fantastic to see the new screen in place! Did you put some primer or paint on the welded bits first? If not, get a bit of that on/around exposed bare bits soonest, to keep the moisture out and new corrosion at bay!

Glad the brake disks were available locally too. Two major bits of progress; you must be chuffed!

On 1/4/2021 at 4:44 PM, Mrs6C said:

Fantastic to see the new screen in place! Did you put some primer or paint on the welded bits first? If not, get a bit of that on/around exposed bare bits soonest, to keep the moisture out and new corrosion at bay!

Glad the brake disks were available locally too. Two major bits of progress; you must be chuffed!

Aye red oxide primer and paint to protect the new metal. It will be given a respray at some point in the future if i can find a way to do that while maintaining some of its character gained during the years abandoned in the dealership.

1 hour ago, RoadworkUK said:

I'm veritably throbbing with glee for seeing this on its journey back to the road. Mucho admiration radiating from the North Essex area. 

(The black Mk1 Fastback parked next to it looks rather saucy, too)

For your viewing pleasure! (Disclaimer i dont use Halfords they simply had an empty carpark) ;) 

69848968_2327654614215752_7240983487149244416_o.thumb.jpg.dc42a92b910bb6d9753d283401fe229f.jpg

***UPDATE***

I managed to get my hands on a new pump today so i removed the knackered old pump from the car and decided to follow the advice of  @Isaac Hunt  making one functioning pump from the two broken ones i have. The V6 pump which was used for testing before failing is on the left and the original pump from the car is on the right. 

134465205_198653325316558_8625337150305482845_n.thumb.jpg.1ca91448527633dd04bc5f8237f1ee97.jpg

Taking the pump apart was alot simpler than i had imagined after removing the three electrical connections then the pump mechanism i blew air through the pipes to clear any debris.

135783964_496272731352796_1366767116359296695_n.thumb.jpg.d9ebe2cf2aa4c631ff1762eb866b25cd.jpg

I then added a tiny amount of fuel to the new pump mechanism and tidied up the rest of the pump the best i could before reassembling everything

134798821_160359882514564_8515272232191833132_n.thumb.jpg.8d138e067f92b7ed348d1a53b4daa695.jpg

I was doubtful to whether it would work or not as this was my first attempt at refurbishing a fuel pump however the car is now running again :D

More to come soon. All the best 👍

Was totally unaware this thread existed and I've read it from the start. Love the little 'as it happens' vids. Gotta say, I take me hat off to you pal. It's no easy task, especially with older pre face lift cars and parts availability.

It is essential that we keep these great British products alive so that we can show future world generations  our abilities in design, technology and our determination to produce the best motor.... Let's just keep them alive.

Special big up to your missis for letting you get on with it. Mine makes me feel like I'm planning to have an affair everytime I even hint about thinking of picking up a spanner.

15 hours ago, Crispian_J_Hotson said:

Was totally unaware this thread existed and I've read it from the start. Love the little 'as it happens' vids. Gotta say, I take me hat off to you pal. It's no easy task, especially with older pre face lift cars and parts availability.

It is essential that we keep these great British products alive so that we can show future world generations  our abilities in design, technology and our determination to produce the best motor.... Let's just keep them alive.

Special big up to your missis for letting you get on with it. Mine makes me feel like I'm planning to have an affair everytime I even hint about thinking of picking up a spanner.

Thank you kindly! Loving the Jaaaaag by the way you must be a man with a particular set of skills and extremely good taste just like me! 👍

The wife doesn't let me get on with it despite the fact she likes Rovers herself ive recently been forced to downsize my fleet. We do however have an understanding which is thus:  Under no circumstances is anything to happen to my 827 regardless of cash offered. If she breaks the terms of this agreement a space is reserved for her under the patio  😆

Good result with the pump. A Twitter there, pump up and working and you've added a new skill to you fettling/fixing knowledgebase.  The 2nd borked pump can be saved  for the spares pile and reconditoned at leisure. 

Looking forward to more progress and dare I say it an MOT on it soon (no pressure.. in your own time obvs!)

**Update**

Work will continue on the car this weekend so should have more updates here soon

Part 3 is now on YouTube however this was filmed before the lockdown and if you have been following this thread you will know the car has come on along way since then still a good watch though.

More to come soon. All the best

2 hours ago, Low Horatio gearbox said:

Good result with the pump. A Twitter there, pump up and working and you've added a new skill to you fettling/fixing knowledgebase.  The 2nd borked pump can be saved  for the spares pile and reconditoned at leisure. 

Looking forward to more progress and dare I say it an MOT on it soon (no pressure.. in your own time obvs!)

Thank you!  Agreed il save the other pump for future use i dont like to throw anything away as so many parts are NLA now.

Its not far off an MOT now hoping to get the rest of the glass and interior sorted this weekend! 

10 hours ago, Motown said:

**Update**

Work will continue on the car this weekend so should have more updates here soon

Part 3 is now on YouTube however this was filmed before the lockdown and if you have been following this thread you will know the car has come on along way since then still a good watch though.

More to come soon. All the best

Kudos to you fellas for working in the pissing rain whilst freezing your knackers off. The original brake discs certainly gave a clear indication of just how long it's been since the car has moved under it's own steam. 

It still looks pretty solid from the snapshots I've seen - is oil change and cambelt next on the list?