The Castle Gresley Rover 820

Motown

1 minute ago, phil_lihp said:

Well done for getting it running!  How's the gearbox, was it this one that was advertised by the dealer as having a gearbox issue?

I wasn't aware of any gearbox issue? We let the car warm up for abit so the oils could circulate before trying the gearbox but it moved under its own steam in R and D with no obvious problems. I had to be careful though as the brake pads were removed from the car to help move it around. I guess il know more when i can actually take the car for a spin.

12 minutes ago, greengartside said:

@Motown top darts bud! Absolutely brilliant to hear the old girl running. This Rover is definitely not Over.

Just out of interest, what’s the mileage on it? I’m expecting sub-100k miles on her.

Its got 136k on the clock.... When not working on the car i have been making enquires to its history prior to its Castle Gresley fame but had no joy yet :( 

Its does have Derbyshire plates (RA) so didn't travel far from were it was originally registered thats about all i know

Good man! Great to see it running again and seemingly much happier. I'd imagine the tappets will settle down with use after being left dry for so long? 

Good luck with the screen hunt - I don't know if @dollywobbleris worth contacting- didn't his white 800 sell to a bloke with several of them? Might have been imagining it though...

10 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Good man! Great to see it running again and seemingly much happier. I'd imagine the tappets will settle down with use after being left dry for so long? 

Good luck with the screen hunt - I don't know if @dollywobbleris worth contacting- didn't his white 800 sell to a bloke with several of them? Might have been imagining it though...

Thank you good Sir!

The white 800 is no longer on the road but iam assured it will be returned to the road when the owner (Jared) gets round to it.

Ive approached him a few times with regards to parts but i dont think he has any windscreens or any Mk1s that are being broken only Mk2s

7 minutes ago, Billy - Medhurst said:

I Have 20+ photo's of the Rover in my album on flickr - taken by me over the years.

FORMER - FINDACAR - EASILEASE - JETBURG LTD CASTLE ROAD CHURCH GRESLEY | Flickr

Oh wow thanks for sharing thats quite the collection good on you for documenting it. Do you have any pictures of how the place looked during operation? I have been unable to find any on the internet

3 minutes ago, Motown said:

Oh wow thanks for sharing thats quite the collection good on you for documenting it. Do you have any pictures of how the place looked during operation? I have been unable to find any on the internet

Sadly not - an article in a magazine  (scanned in that flickr set ) informed of the garages existence long after it closed.

The road to restoration is now being filmed in glorious technicolour by a friend of mine.

However am not all that familiar with how YouTube works and I happen to like it here so will continue to post updates. I know... I know... don’t all rush to tell me how handsome I look on TV 😆

More great news i have managed to find a new windscreen!!!

A company in Doncaster had two left in stock and wanted  £200 for the windscreen and fitting which is alot cheaper than what Rimmer Brothers quoted me just for the windscreen. Its due to be fitted just after Christmas when they reopen so in the meantime i thought i would try cleaning up the sealing faces as they are looking abit crusty and in doing so ive noticed a small hole in the top.

131621165_402650724411400_6276096299899723751_n.thumb.jpg.08a5e37406d5795e43b9f15f6bc6f3fd.jpg131906975_1047762149034584_6459337635304149542_n.thumb.jpg.3376e7482e0d0cef7f123a5719fbac17.jpg

I went out to the local motor factors today and purchased some rust removal gel, red oxide, paint, quick steel and a coil brush. Am hoping to get started tomorrow providing the weather isnt to bad (no rain). What are peoples thoughts on the crust? Will quick steel be enough to plug the small hole?

All the best 👍