Procrastination...the thief of shite??!!

skoda_fan

Been making/thinking about making a few changes to the fleet of late. Earlier in the year I sold my solid but tatty Eunos and bought a rather nice NB. Much as I love the mk2, I almost immediately missed the mk1 character. Also almost immediately, another Eunos to the same spec/colour as mine but in lovely condition came up at an affordable price. I spent a couple of weeks umming and erring about it, you know, heart vs head etc, so by the time I'd decided to give the seller a ring it had sold. Still kicking myself. .....I've long rather fancied an Alfa 145. I think the idea of that lovely TS engine in what appears to be a boxy cooking hatch rather appeals to me. Same story, a nice one came up locally recently (doing a bit of research I was surprised to learn how rare they now are)....but again I dithered around for too long and missed out.

Anyone else dither like I do? There's always that fun head vs sensible head going on that means I miss out. Maybe it's for the best as far as my bank balance goes....

1 hour ago, skoda_fan said:

Anyone else dither like I do? There's always that fun head vs sensible head going on that means I miss out. Maybe it's for the best as far as my bank balance goes....

Yes. See my 25 page thread on me buying an MGB GT... 😬

I haven't got any better in the meantime, but I'm less public about it! Me seeing the E28 and actually deciding to buy it was a very rare event for me. 

Austin Ambassador Vdp Auto spotted on a drive, where it had sat for a few years. Eventually managed to catch the owner, and elderly chap, who admitted it needed a new home. I was mega-skint at the time, but eventually decided I could justify it. Phoned him, he'd scrapped it. And a considerable parts stash. Why?! 

Another one was a Citroen Bijou, on a Dyane chassis, for sale for £400. A door was off, but it was all there really, just needed wiring and a few other bits. Didn't have a garage and by the time I'd sorted out a plan, it was gone.

13 minutes ago, brownnova said:

A certain Red Maestro

Same here. Heart said "YES", head said "where will you put the bloody thing and use it as a motorway car?" When I'm in a better position I will definitely have one. It's just a question of when.

1 hour ago, dollywobbler said:

Another one was a Citroen Bijou, on a Dyane chassis, for sale for £400. A door was off, but it was all there really, just needed wiring and a few other bits. Didn't have a garage and by the time I'd sorted out a plan, it was gone.

The one that always sticks in my mins was a Citroen Mehari - pretty rotten, but complete and definitely saveable for £500. Like you, I made arrangements for somewhere to keep it and missed out. Missed out should be in capitals really, as that was my only chance to own a Mehari given the price of them now.

I can only chip in my latest mis[..lost]fortune...

Saw Auto Swift.... drove to York to looksee.... agreed full asking price, left deposit.... Returned (c/o BarryS) paid 'the brown bagfull'.... Shot Off!!

No wonder I had no qualms about getting it = wrong box/too £much.

I am a lemon

*be serious, for a moment, I FFINN LUVV IT!! ;)

I try not to live my life like that, much to the wife's hatred. If something comes up, be it a car, a friend asking for a pint, anything that requires a decision, it gets one there and then.

Like the time I was alone at home, and thought we needed a dog. So I went out to the dogs trust and got one. Much to the wife's displeasure as I didn't actually ask her. She now loves the dog.

And when I bought the RAV4, didn't think about it just bought it. Wife hated me for it, but now likes the RAV4.

The thought of being on my death bed regretting not doing things, not jumping on chances, fills me with more fear than the idea of buying a lemon. For better or worse anyway.

Obviously I've spent countless hours thinking about, reading about, posting about cars. And then many hours at work to earn money that ends up being spent on cars.

Even in that context, they are just metal boxes. So dithering or missing out doesn't bother me because they'll always be another one which would probably make me as happy as the one I thought I wanted.

10 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Because of dithering I missed out in the forum Jag XJ and the one-time forum roffle win LS400. So yes, you are correct!

If you mean a certain dark blue 1995 LS400, be glad you missed out on it.

It was a bit, erm, rough. Admittedly the subsequent owners put a lot of work into it but I never really trusted it.

All cars are a gamble, whether £500 or £50k. Don't put down what you can't afford to lose, then the decision becomes a bit easier however it turns out.

For all the one off cars you missed out on, they're just cars at the end of the day. Might be the wrong thing to say on here, but it's all just deteriorating metal.

There's no point in regret because you never know fully how any situation would have turned out as much as we like to think we can predict it. Could have bought a shitheap but ended up having a laugh and made friends in the process. Could have won a watch and thus ended up in a place you wouldn't normally go, got stabbed or hit by a bus as a consequence. 

As for making the leap - At least at the beige end of the market the losses aren't going to be life changing if you mess up. On a £500 car you'll get more than 20% back from a scrappy, or you could make a profit breaking it yourself if desperate. 

I'm saying all this as a complete hypocrite by the way, as I suffer massive decision anxiety and have dithered on too many purchases. The stuff I wrote above is the thought process I go through when trying to close the gap between head and heart.