The "Name that part" thread - Sprinkling a little mystery into your life!

Dj_efk

Hi all,

I am finally clearing out my parents' garage after many years of using it as a dumping ground storage facility for all my old tat. As is the norm, the mists of time have hidden the crucial infomation as to what carsome of the bits are for! I couldn't see a thread dedicated to leveraging the combined AS community's tat encyclopedia / visual parts lookup power so thought I'd start one and let's see how it goes.

First up - It's British Leyland, but what from? Part number as you can see is APU4777, I can't find any reference to a vehicle on the net....

image.thumb.png.a5386388fff8922ca609710427d56d40.png

image.thumb.png.51cf889e1a5b69363b98f762a6e68744.png

• Dj_efk changed the title to The "Name that part" thread - Sprinkling a little mystery into your life!

Just to add fuel to the uncertainty. 

When I worked for Lucas in Burnley, in 1997 ish.  They decided to rationalise their range of aftermarket and low volume switches. 

An engineer was told to take 600 plus similar switches and rationalise them into about 40.  

Ideas like not putting the logo on, rationalisibg the logo, not having different colour illumination, getting rid of the low current ones where a high current one would work, not having lots of different connection types. 

There were (If I remember a presentation that I was invited to) switches that were almost identical, that had been used multiple applications, and the differences were related to cosmetics, and style.  

There were also switches that did the exact same job but in a different way.  Think toggle verses rotary. 

There were also switches that had more than one function on it and if you didn't have the wiring in the car would still provide the functions you needed (think indicator switch with a horn button, when the car has a horn button on the steering wheel) and colour.  

Different shades of black and grey plastic trim. 

I think they did get down to 10% which gave them 99% coverage.  They also stated that if approached by an owners club they were not getting rid of the tooling they had, but would do a one off run at a price. 

It's 22 years since I worked there and it's now owned by TRW. 

Well it's definitely from a mid-late 70's Leyland product, I've typed in all the usual suspects along with the word "dashboard" into google images to visually check the headlamp switch, which was sadly rather a fun way to waste 3/4 of an hour - but was ultimately unsuccessful.

ADU4778 is from a Mini Mk3 - so close and yet so far! http://geros1968.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_23&products_id=2791

Well done sir on the clutch cable, I’m not sure how I managed to miss that - I even looked at a google image of what I thought was a viva clutch cable - perhaps the one in the pic I looked at was for the bigger engine variants or sommat.

Thanks - I may well be along shortly with more, has anyone else got mystery parts cluttering up their shed they want to throw in here?

13 hours ago, sheffcortinacentre said:

Kaddett B

I say sir! Good shot sir! Very very close, but not quite, unless they did more than one version of the dial:

image.thumb.png.58557f9db0da441dd8eeb822dacb163a.png

image.thumb.png.88254f7ea0311ab8dc77283831c4a3f2.png

I think the answer is it's an accessory, similar to Smiths etc. - they did them as standard fit on some cars (such as the Kadett in this case), but there was a generic version for retro boy racers back in the day to gain 75 BHP on their NSU Prinz or VW Karmann Ghia, just as you could with a Smiths version to enjoy neck-snapping gear changes on your Hillman Imp or Vauxhall Victor!