Mingebag motoring for the leaden-hoofed

pogweasel

I think that all these old PSA dizzles can be discounted on the grounds of being too sloth-like, even if they are frugal and comfy.

Have you ever tried a PSA 1769cc turddiesel Pog? c. 90 bhp and no slouch, I was very impressed when I drove a BX TDMark.

I'm sure some engines/vehicles suit some driving styles better than others.I hired a VW Caddy for a 170-mile each way, 90% motorway trip, and despite being lightly laden one way, and unladen coming back, it returned just below 40mpg. In contrast, any old tat I've owned that I'd class as remotely economical (Tempra Turbodiesel SW, Lancia Y10, Cinq Sporting, old Panda) would return between 45 and 50mpg on the same journey - with the same driver, and at a similar (or higher) average speed. Even my old twin-carb Alfasud Sprint would do around 40mpg on motorways, provided you didn't go beserk with the throttle.

I think that all these old PSA dizzles can be discounted on the grounds of being too sloth-like, even if they are frugal and comfy.

Have you ever tried a PSA 1769cc turddiesel Pog? c. 90 bhp and no slouch, I was very impressed when I drove a BX TDMark.
I'm the proud owner of a Pug 309 with a 1769cc TD lump, although the low power 77bhp, not the far juicier (89bhp I think) one found in the BX and wedgie Rovers 200/400.I regularly get well over 52mpgs (worst recently was 50.5), but I can say they (or at least mine) are rubbish on the motorway - all breathless and very very noisy!But as I don't drive on motorways very often I don't care! :D

toyota carina e with the 1.8, mine was the cdi 5 up to the nec in brummie between 80 - 90 mph all the way from south wales came out at 58 to the gallon around town about 42mph. the 1.8 was later carried on to the avensis. would deffo have another- more economical than my 1.4 corolla.

My car, a Pug 106 1.4D - 50bhp70mpg on motorway at 65mph. 75mpg at 58-60mph.I would not buy one unless you can stomach the pitifully underpowered engine though. I can because I can't afford anything else at the moment!Aside from the engine (which to be fair is refined once on the move), it is a cracking little car.

Yeah, I have tried them in ZX & 306 forms, just felt a bit underwhelming - the saving grace being decent chassis allowing you to keep your momentum up round corners & roundabouts.

That's an XUD9 you tried poggles - the BXs have an XUD7 lump.

May I recomend the Octavia 110hp Tdi Estate?Will hold as much shite as a miserable little van, mid 40's mpg on a "spirited" motorway run, mid 50's if you are a bit careful (or stuck on the f***ing A10 every day and dont manage over 35mph on your 11 mile journey :evil: )Not a fast car, but by no means slow either.Skoda image is still bad enough to be a bit autoshite, but not embarasingly so.

A P100 with a truckman top running on red diesel FTW!!!!

with "Gallagher's gardening services" or some such written on the side. Nobody would mess with you then.-07 mondeo would be the mk3, BTW. Nice car but dual mass clutch so ££££s when it gets all slippy.