Why is this familiar and makes me think of autoshite ?

kinkersaab

Yep, I think it was D701 SWL.

As I recall the tale, an individual joined the forum expressly to ask if anyone knew the fate of a Land Rover 110, D701 SWL, which had been bought new by their father as a gift for their mother.

Tumbleweed ensued.

A short time later, another individual signed up to post because Google indicated that this oh-so-beige forum apparently contained the internet's sole reference to D701 SWL - the Land Rover their father had bought new, and which they were also trying to track down.

At this point, forum regulars took notice.

Frenzied speculation followed as to whether it was a case of mistaken identity, an elaborate if faintly pointless hoax, or something heartwarming involving long-lost siblings that you'd expect to find in Take A Break mag rather than being played out on a forum for rubbish old cars.

I don't think anyone ever did get to the bottom of the whole affair, but it ran and ran forever (unlike D701 SWL, which apparently last saw the road in 2011).

EDIT: From the AS Lexicon thread:

"D701 SWL -- Legendary Land Rover which can be claimed by anyone, to have been bought at any time in the past, present or future, by their relative of choice. For example: "I bought a Defender 110, reg. no. D701 SWL in two years' time, brand new, from the previous owner who was my dad, but he didn't actually own it because it was brand new. Or it will be, in 2 year's time. PHACT."

5 minutes ago, ProgRocker said:

"The Cornwallis". Sounds like one of those names a new build house builder calls one of their overpriced detached dwellings. :mrgreen:

More like a shotgun union of "Duchy of Cornwall & Wallis Simpson"....

That didn't end well......

Ha Ha ;)

4 hours ago, Out Run said:

File alongside other AS classics such as the blue MAXI

Crikey, there's another blast from the past. The baffling saga of DXG 25K.

1497231770_mysteryofthemankymaxi.jpg.2de14b1738c097706f57964520e23104.jpg

AKA 'Two Maxis, One Reg'

maxi.thumb.jpg.4f322f07d5afe74103babc78fab76c5f.jpg

338961912_Screenshot_20201203-1243212.thumb.png.89abd96f91578f27cb5f6efb73d6f94d.png

Seems like a straightforward shed-grade blowover paint job has been carried out... except the blue car turned up on the eBay Tat thread back in 2009 - later snapped in the field by @dollywobbler in early 2011, as above - while the (heavily patina'd) Harvest Gold/Reynard Bronze one wearing the same registration number only showed up in 2017.

Tragically, I can't seem to turn up a pic of the foot-high MAXI lettering that had been applied to the back of the blue car.

Rupture in the space-time continuum, or some needless jiggery-pokery with VIN plates and V5s for the sake of a £300 nail?

You choose.

9 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

AKA 'Two Maxis, One Reg'

128428216_Screenshot_20201203-1229352.thumb.png.50193f76e89760f0c0fbb2f8c8146116.png

Seems like a straightforward shed-grade blowover paint job has been carried out... except the blue car was snapped back in 2009, while the (heavily patina'd) Harvest Gold/Reynard Bronze one showed up in 2017.

Tragically, I can't seem to turn up a pic of the foot-high MAXI lettering that had been applied to the back of the blue car.

2ECCB720-0D7A-476F-B81A-8843B42C7F8D.png

2 minutes ago, 2MB said:

But where does the horse galloping towards the train come in to it?

Here are entirely my thoughts on ‘Horse and Train 1954’

The galloping train curves like a backwards smile into the distance. Its crushing speed made fantastically apparent by the subtle division on the horizon; a small bump between the pulled carriages and the lower grasslands. What once was a simple line it seems, can evolve painfully quick to the onrush and light of a hurtling machine.

To some extent when I look at this piece, I feel ensnared like the horse. The steel of the tracks, brighter than any of the world around them, pull out of the canvas, both backwards to another world, and forwards into ours. Through the charging animal however, Colville draws our eyes downward to its fractious mid hurtle position. Beneath the horse, there is an uneasy quietness before the potential collision. The gravel is painted delicately to the pebble, with the thick pregnant marshland belied by delicate brushstrokes beside the tracks.

Yet amid his subdued palate, Colville draws the two majestic roamers of the landscape in equivocation rather than opposition. The smoke of the train itself too blends into the clouds above, with the horse’s hoof merging to the dark churn of the tracks below.

Rather than the obvious symbolic implication of the painting then, Colville offers a more interesting interpretation upon the idea of choice. Both the train driver and the horse have the ability it seems to get out of the way in some form, but both, for this snapshot moment at least, seem unwilling m8.

55 minutes ago, Datsuncog said:

AKA 'Two Maxis, One Reg'

338961912_Screenshot_20201203-1243212.thumb.png.89abd96f91578f27cb5f6efb73d6f94d.png

Seems like a straightforward shed-grade blowover paint job has been carried out... except the blue car turned up on the eBay Tat thread back in 2009 - later snapped in the field by @dollywobbler in early 2011, as above - while the (heavily patina'd) Harvest Gold/Reynard Bronze one only showed up in 2017.

Rupture in the space-time continuum, or some needless jiggery-pokery with VIN plates and V5s for the sake of a £300 nail?

You choose.

That blue MAXI is such a winner, but sadly the mystery can be fairly easily solved by the fact the two cars have different registrations - OXG 25K on the gold one, DXG 25K on the blue... sorry everyone.

1 hour ago, barrett said:

That blue MAXI is such a winner, but sadly the mystery can be fairly easily solved by the fact the two cars have different registrations - OXG 25K on the gold one, DXG 25K on the blue... sorry everyone.

except that OXG25K was never issued in period or by the DVLA at any point in time, so I highly doubt its that? so the mystery continues? 

although DXG25K is now on a 2009 Ford, so I have a feeling some cheeky VIN plate swapping etc went on to allow someone to rob the vehicle of the plate