Kiwi Kar Konundrums - Parky2 adventures so far

Parky

• 2 weeks later...

New car time.  Mrs P had a spin in this:

78E748D4-B593-4215-A429-BDA144DCD101.png

https://www.toyota.co.nz/used-vehicles/detail/2391728

Her verdict was “nice but there was a horrific delay between accelerating and anything happening” . She told the dealer who tried it and agreed there was something up.  He said he would sort. A mechanic cleaned an airflow meter and apparently “that cured it”.

i had a go this morning and yeah, it’s nice but it is top money.  It is  an ex Toyota car from Toyota so should be as solid as you can get but there is no movement on the price.  Won’t even throw in an extended warranty to sweeten it.  Plus I have found several others with even less mileage (this has 50000 miles) for less money.

Drive revealed there is still a delay in pulling away, as if the computer and the gearbox need to  vote on whether I do want to go quickly before reaching a majority decision and doing what it’s fucking told.   Is that normal for a CVT?  I have driven two before but they both had issues so have no idea how they should behave.

if this is how they feel I will have to stay with a manual as I can’t be doing with that.  Which is a problem here as manuals are like hens teeth nowadays.  

As EV’s all have cvt boxes I am quite depressed about driving in future I must say.  The boxes render the process absolutely joyless

2.4 litre engine so should be gutsy.  Mrs P’s 1600 Swift would kill it in a drag race.  Definitely something up.  Dealer wondered if the battery had flattened in storage as I know that causes issues on Mini CVT’s

The dealer was going to get the service team to have a proper look as he knew it wasn’t behaving as it should.  May give it one last chance as whilst they are common here, there are very few in a nice bright colour!

I have found a later model Corolla/Auris with an 1800 engine and a six speed box.  Resale silver RS model.  Reminds me a lot of my old Seat Leon and probably drives like it which wouldnt be a bad thing at all.  Little bit pricier than I was intending but if its good I'll get years out of it and be happy in it.  

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/toyota/auris/listing/3446543921?bof=ccOJBdWP

Auris.jpg

5 hours ago, Parky said:

As EV’s all have cvt boxes I am quite depressed about driving in future I must say.  The boxes render the process absolutely joyless

You'll be very pleased to know you're quite wrong there. EVs only need a one speed gearbox, so they're like driving the very best automatics ever made. No lag, instant go, seamless delivery.

4 hours ago, dollywobbler said:

You'll be very pleased to know you're quite wrong there. EVs only need a one speed gearbox, so they're like driving the very best automatics ever made. No lag, instant go, seamless delivery.

Ah thank goodness, thank you Mr Wobbler that’s cheered me up.  Maybe I should go look at electric options

17 hours ago, hairnet said:

butler motors christchurch 1.8 auto 07 90k kms

9499 - that sounds bettah

nice red too

worth a look see if it not cvt?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/toyota/auris/listing/3447943847?bof=ccOJBdWP

Think they will all be CVT to be honest.

Dealer mailed to say they've got the throttle body off to see if thats misbehaving - doesnt fill you with confidence especially when theres no movement on price.

Mentioned the oil burning issue on the 2.4 which the guy didnt know about apparently.  Sent him the reference number of the recall and he responded with "its a very small number of cars but if you are worried we will throw in an extra years warranty"  I'm sure the class action lawyers in the US would accept that

Going to have one last look tomorrow lunchtime after all the remedials have been completed.  If all my doubts are dispelled I might buy it but a dealer up the road has just got a silver one thats two years newer, two grand cheaper, and has 30kms less on it.  I know they are only Corolla Ghias but they are pretty nice cars generally

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/toyota/blade/listing/3357592339?bof=ccOJBdWP

blade1.jpg

blade2.jpg

Red ones are a lot faster.

I revisited Red - its  last chance to blow me away and OMG it did.  Dealer had cleaned the throttle body, spark plugs, and decided the battery was kaput and threw a new one on.  

Bloody hell it was fast.  And smooth.  And reacted beautifully.  It was a totally different car.  So I had decided it was very me and I was going to buy it but before seeing the dealer with the good news I had better test the electrics.  All were fine.  Electric windows down.  Oooh smooth.  And up.....clunk

The passenger window had fallen out of its guides and jammed.  Unbelievable.

Gave the keys to the sales guy and when I told him his face fell.  I said I was about to buy it but three drives and something every time, I can’t trust that.  He agreed.  He said he would let me know when the window was all fixed but I think he realises I won’t be interested now.  Shame, the Blade is a nice car.  And a Master has appeared on TradeMe and for those who don’t know, that’s the 3.5 litre model....

Off to New Brighton to see the silver Cheesoid one tomorrow.  At least that’s manual.  Kind of want a Blade now and fancying a Toyota Auris Ghia is very Autoshite, wouldn’t you agree?

4 hours ago, Parky said:

Red ones are a lot faster.

I revisited Red - its  last chance to blow me away and OMG it did.  Dealer had cleaned the throttle body, spark plugs, and decided the battery was kaput and threw a new one on.  

Bloody hell it was fast.  And smooth.  And reacted beautifully.  It was a totally different car.  So I had decided it was very me and I was going to buy it but before seeing the dealer with the good news I had better test the electrics.  All were fine.  Electric windows down.  Oooh smooth.  And up.....clunk

The passenger window had fallen out of its guides and jammed.  Unbelievable.

Gave the keys to the sales guy and when I told him his face fell.  I said I was about to buy it but three drives and something every time, I can’t trust that.  He agreed.  He said he would let me know when the window was all fixed but I think he realises I won’t be interested now.  Shame, the Blade is a nice car.  And a Master has appeared on TradeMe and for those who don’t know, that’s the 3.5 litre model....

Off to New Brighton to see the silver Cheesoid one tomorrow.  At least that’s manual.  Kind of want a Blade now and fancying a Toyota Auris Ghia is very Autoshite, wouldn’t you agree?

What's happened to Toyota? I've helped to prepare literally scores of Toyota's for sale and it's rare to find anything broken at all.

It was sheer fluke.  The panel fit, paint, and interior were all top class.  The window thing was minor and probably fixed in two minutes but my 24 year old Mirage doesn’t do that.  I wondered if the other windows would all do it  too triggering a dealer visit each time.  Can’t be arsed with all that

Holden Barina, I ask you.  If I did I would have to buy Vauxhall badges.

Anyway the search is over.  Welcome Chizurobotto (Cheese Robot).  Drove nicely and a very rare manual RS version.  Only a 1.8 but good enough and about as sensible a family car as you can get.  Am keeping the Japanese stereo for originality and collect Friday.  It’ll do Pig, it’ll do

5B6A1BFE-F0D0-4F7F-9B85-28574951E54E.jpeg

4B781CE9-DE9F-417B-BBB7-D8A56E1EC51C.jpeg

FCFA363F-BFFD-4D43-8E4C-C49DEDD340C2.jpeg

No silly gearbox foibles, no concerns with oil consumption and whilst it has got 20000 more kms than the red one, it is five years newer and the later model.

Going to keep Mitzi Kaput as a commuter and trainer, as well as something to play with